TIme off effect on uke playing

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I have had a trip and relocation of my residence in the last few months.

On top of that, my work had let me go (Don't worry - I knew about these plans for over 15 months. What took them so long?); and so I have also been preparing for a job search.

THe net result was a dramatic drop off in uke playing. I still bought ukes. I just didn't have time to push my practice.

On finally unpacking items, I was placing the ukes up and tuning them as I unwrapped them. I got to playing one.

And I was so damned happy to find that my playing actually seemed better than the last time I seriously was trying. I made mistakes but they sounded fine as I continued to flow.

I think my expectations had lowered because I hadn't played and therefore the music seemed sweeter and a pleasant surprise.

A 2 year old boy who lives in the new apartment complex came by to listen and I let him hold the uke and he hugged it like a puppy. He held it like a puppy 3 times (and I laughed hysterically at the sight) so I promised him I'd make him his own special dolphin makala (with crazy monkey stickers) because I know ukulele love when I see it.

There was a similiar thread about this topic a couple of weeks. I agree that sometimes a little time off - a couple days to a week can help. I am not sure why. Maybe after working and working something a little time off allows it to settle into your head and hands. The whole muscle memory/second nature type of thing.

Good luck with the job search. Thanks for what I think is an interesting topic.

And I was so damned happy to find that my playing actually seemed better than the last time I seriously was trying. I made mistakes but they sounded fine as I continued to flow.

I think my expectations had lowered because I hadn't played and therefore the music seemed sweeter and a pleasant surprise.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately - all the uke players I know seem to have had this experience at times!

I know that with some of the more complex pieces I've been working on, when playing them every day I tend to focus only on the mistakes and not pay attention to how it sounds overall. A few days away from that focus seems to allow me to be a bit more objective when I return to it.

Love the story about the little boy and the uke. Start 'em young!

I know that with some of the more complex pieces I've been working on, when playing them every day I tend to focus only on the mistakes and not pay attention to how it sounds overall. A few days away from that focus seems to allow me to be a bit more objective when I return to it.

Very well said. That is what I was trying to get at but I did not articulate it as well.

All I can say is I felt like I had played for years. I was doing my effects technique better, doing things I hadn't thought about. It was like I wasn't me but I was some musician noodling.

so I promised him I'd make him his own special dolphin makala (with crazy monkey stickers) because I know ukulele love when I see it.
You sir, are saint. It likely will be a life changing thing for your young neighbor, how many of us would have a different life if the nice neighbor man next door gave us a Makala Dolphin (with crazy monkey stickers) on it when we were kids:) You are a nice man!

side note: do you think monkeys play ukuleles with people stickers on um?...
DAP
Great personal jam story too:)

On the job front, I think I'll find something in 2-3 months.

December is a free month as nobody hires; so, I'm not really gonna think about it. Focus will be on health and uke.

I have an interview tomorrow; but I will likely decline any offer based on location and salary and job type.

My industry has job opportunities. I am fortunate. :D

Actually, some people in Thailand own monkeys. They even wear monkey diapers when they are young. So..... I will offer a ukulele to a monkey if I have a video camera on. I am just as curious now about your question. People sticker?? Will Hell Kitty stickers do?

In Indonesia, the street monkeys wear face masks. Its freaky.

I've definitely noticed this phenomenon, with ukes and other things, recently and in the past. What with fixing up the house, getting married, honeymooning, etc., I have not been playing much over the past several months. But yesterday I sat down and played most of the tunes in my song book without a hitch, and pretty well too (if I may say so myself). Weird, but welcome :)

I have noticed this with the uke. I thought it would apply to guitar but nope. I picked up my guitar and tried to play a song. It was all barre chords and my hand was dead by the time I got through the chorus the first time. I happened to record it and my transitions were horrible. All in all very disappointing.

Guess I should just stick to playing uke! :)

I've definitely noticed this phenomenon, with ukes and other things, recently and in the past. What with fixing up the house, getting married, honeymooning, etc., I have not been playing much over the past several months. But yesterday I sat down and played most of the tunes in my song book without a hitch, and pretty well too (if I may say so myself). Weird, but welcome :)

Rushing to get that travel uke ready for your honeymoon didn't get played much? Hope you had a wonderful time.

You sir, are saint. It likely will be a life changing thing for your young neighbor, how many of us would have a different life if the nice neighbor man next door gave us a Makala Dolphin (with crazy monkey stickers) on it when we were kids:) You are a nice man!

side note: do you think monkeys play ukuleles with people stickers on um?...
DAP
Great personal jam story too:)

DSCF4697.jpgDSCF4226.jpg

Great story Suzuk! I agree with both you and Dapuke. Set a postive tone for a child's life with the gift of music. It lasts a lifetime. Good on you mate:)

Top Bottom