How to tune Tenor Uke and D'addario EJ46 strings

littlegecko

Reaction score
Hi,

After reading posts on what strings for my tenor uke I decided to choose the D'addario J71 or EJ46 (used by the greatest :p ). As I'm in a hurry because I have broken my aquila strings, I have rush in a big music store in paris but they have not the J71 so I bought the EJ46.

The strings are set like that :
Item#: Note (inches-lbs)
J4601: E (0.0285-15.8)
J4602: B (0.0327-12.0)
J4603: G (0.0410-12.4)
J4604: D (0.030-16.3)
J4605: A (0.036-15.9)
J4606: E (0.044-14.5)

And I don't succed to tune them to GCEA (highG)
I have tried like that :
1E -> A
3G -> E
4D -> C
2B -> G

But the C just sound not right at all
And I'm not sure the other are fine too
I have tried to set the 5A on C but the string had exploded :eek:
Maybe those strings are fine to LowG tuning...
But I still don't know how to tune them this way.

Oki oki I know I'm a newbie and only deserve slaps. :biglaugh:
Please help me :bowdown:

Thanks a lot

if you can, buy another set of EJ46 and use the 1E string for your high G and your high A strings. then the 2B and 3G strings for your E and C strings, respectively.

if you can get the strings individually, then find a nylon string in the same diameter as the 1E in the EJ46 set and use it as your high G.

if you can, buy another set of EJ46 and use the 1E string for your high G and your high A strings. then the 2B and 3G strings for your E and C strings, respectively.

if you can get the strings individually, then find a nylon string in the same diameter as the 1E in the EJ46 set and use it as your high G.

What would you use for low G?

What would you use for low G?
A guitar D string works for Low-G on the uke

On a side note, if you have a guitar-lele that you want to tune to standard-guitar tuning (so you don't have to transpose chords) you can use a 7-string guitar set, throw away the high E and string them up in order. Keep in mind that you'll have 4-wound strings though. :/

Last edited:
A guitar D string works for Low-G on the uke
/
I'm a little confused about this one. The wound strings that came with my tenor are "silk" - that is, the core is some synthetic as opposed to the wound strings on my flat top guitar which have a steel core. Wouldn't a D string from a guitar place a lot of stress on the uke? Or were you referring to a wound D string from a classical guitar? (which I believe is a silk core).

I'm a little confused about this one. The wound strings that came with my tenor are "silk" - that is, the core is some synthetic as opposed to the wound strings on my flat top guitar which have a steel core. Wouldn't a D string from a guitar place a lot of stress on the uke? Or were you referring to a wound D string from a classical guitar? (which I believe is a silk core).

Sorry I didn't clarify, but you're right I am talking about classical guitar strings...steel strings would have way too much tension and would probably destroy a uke

:worship: Thans a lot everyone :worship:

To conclude, the tunes for a tenor uke and EJ46 strings (classical guitar) are:

High G: (need 2 1E strings)
A=1E | E=2B | C=3G | G=1E

Low G:
A=1E | E=2G | C=3G | g=4D

Thanks, I'll try this evening :rock::music:

Top Bottom