E-bow for Ukulele

Ukeguyeli

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post on this site. Great site by the way. I've always wanted to get an E-bow. And from my research, It will not work on nylon strings, even if I have a ukulele with a pick up on it hooked to an amp. Does anyone know of a substitute for an E-bow that can work with nylon strings. If you wan't an example of what I want it to sound like, listen to the song -- Bass Song by Band of Horses. Thank you!

An Ebow works by using electromagnetic field to cause metal strings to vibrate. Not going to work on a "regular" ukulele & you don't want to put metal strings on your uke. But... there are electric solid body ukulele's which take metal strings that would likely work. (they are more like little guitars w/uke tuning to me).

Here's an example (look at their ukes)
http://www.jupitercreekmusic.com/

I don't have one, but the Eleuke may accept steel strings as well.

Cool song, this is. I found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gDFPOH8LBM

Now possible solutions

(a) An obvious one - use a bow on your nylon strings....... I think Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) did that before someone invented an e-bow.

(b) get a steel-string uke. I won't recommend using steel strings on your regular nylon string ukes (too much tension) but you can get an electric ukuleles that may have steel strings. I am not sure

(c) My effects box (Digitech RP-100?) has Swell setting. When you strum, volume starts out low, but increases (swells!) to a certain volume before it fades, and that's about two seconds? You may get a longer sustain that way??

Sorry, can't ne of much help

Cheers
Chief

I don't have one, but the Eleuke may accept steel strings as well.
...get a steel-string uke. I won't recommend using steel strings on your regular nylon string ukes (too much tension) but you can get an electric ukuleles that may have steel strings. I am not sure...
As a point of interest, its usually best to have a truss rod in the neck for the high tension of steel strings mentioned above. We've heard that there will be steel string eleukes coming with truss rods, but the current nylon string models wouldn't do well with steel because they don't have truss rods.

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

Yeah it is a cool song isn't it? The intro for it using the e-bow is quite haunting and beautiful. I might try this swell method you're speaking. I looked into it, and would I buy a Swell Pedal? and hook it up to my amp while my uke is plugged inn? Cause I dont want to buy a new amp just for swelling.

Last edited:
Can always build one- neck through soprano cigar box ought to cover it, and you can, from my current understanding, get away with SOprano and concert without a truss rod. Tenor will suffer (I have one that proves that)

Top Bottom