Wound 4th String on High G Uke???

musiccityuker

Reaction score
I'm still a novice and definitely an old dog learning new tricks. I just received a new uke via FedEx today. It's a 15 fret concert. Until today I didn't really understand that concert ukes might have 12, 15... 19 frets... or anything else. I have a 19 fret concert but was a bit surprised when this one arrived with 15. Size-wise, it's right in the middle between my other concerts and my soprano. It was small enough that I actually had to lay them side by side to make sure I had actually received a concert. But it was the string arrangement that actually threw me for a loop. I must have been living in a cave the past couple of years but I didn't realize that "high G" concert strings could actually have a wound 4th (G) string. I just assumed that "high G" never includes a wound string. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

I believe a majority of the uke players prefer an unwound G however some string manufacturers do include a wound G in their string sets. Aquila does as well as couple of the others so it's not uncommon. I believe there is also a wound C string set.

I think he's saysing that his re-entrant high G uke came with a wound high G string. That is crazy. I've never seen that before.

I've definitely seen wound C strings though. In fact I bought a set for my PS. I don't mind wound strings and I think the C string is a little weak in tone using Worth Clears and Browns. I haven't tried them yet since I'm still working through the Worths, but I'll try them in a few months. :)

Thanks for Your Thoughts

I'm so inexperienced I don't know if I was set up low G or High G. All I know is I have a 15 fret concert uke in my hands that has a wound 4th string. I ordered a high g setup but I may have a low g. Pathetic that I don't know the differece or don't really know how to tell the difference.

Then you probably have a low G. Here is an easy way to test. Does the 4th string sound lower or higher than the 3rd string?

I'm so inexperienced I don't know if I was set up low G or High G. All I know is I have a 15 fret concert uke in my hands that has a wound 4th string. I ordered a high g setup but I may have a low g. Pathetic that I don't know the differece or don't really know how to tell the difference.

Pluck the g string followed by the c string. If the g is lower then the c, you have low g. If it's higher, you have high g.

I think he's saysing that his re-entrant high G uke came with a wound high G string. That is crazy. I've never seen that before.

I've definitely seen wound C strings though. In fact I bought a set for my PS. I don't mind wound strings and I think the C string is a little weak in tone using Worth Clears and Browns. I haven't tried them yet since I'm still working through the Worths, but I'll try them in a few months. :)
My bad, you're right about the wound 3rd.

Top Bottom