PDA

View Full Version : Universal Music Group can kiss my @$$

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Anyone run into this problem before? YouTube has pulled the audio off of one of my videos- my cover of Manic Monday. Well, not YouTube themselves- but Universal Music Group. WTF? Copyright infringement. I put in the video title & the info that the song was by The Bangles... and it's not like I have thousands of subscribers that are watching this bootleg version of a song.

And it's The Bangles! What- are they planning on some reunion tour- makin a comeback soon?! Sheesh!

So, in conclusion- screw you, Universal Music Group.

deach
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
They're mad at you for doing a better version....

russ_buss
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
no way! that's crazy. it's not like you used their actual album track. i can't believe they are going after people singing their song. what a way to insult their fans! tsk tsk...

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Let's all do a cover of their songs and load it on YT! :D:D

Boozelele
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Does that mean all of our covers are in danger? I'm not going to start getting threatening calls from Sir Paul am I?

russ_buss
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Does that mean all of our covers are in danger? I'm not going to start getting threatening calls from Sir Paul am I?

i think neil young is going to kick down both of our doors chuck norris style!:eek:

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM

lmfao! YES! Go, Uki, go! Go forth!- all of you- and do universal covers :)

Even though I'm still pissed- you guys have made me feel a lot better about it. Thanks!

But man- now I'm wondering if any other songs I've done are theirs- and does this mean I have to check everytime I think of a song I wanna play? Not just me- all of us.

But my biggest question... how the hell did they find me to begin with?!

I'm gonna be in a record store one day when I'm 75 explaining to my grandchild why I refuse to buy the CD they really want. "**** Universal Music." "Grandma, did you just say ****?!" ;)

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 09:17 AM
i think neil young is going to kick down both of our doors chuck norris style!:eek:

Not the best way to meet him... but still.... call me when he shows up ;)

tad
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM

I like this idea.

russ_buss
07-02-2008, 09:39 AM

eternal flame, here we come!!!

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Adelle, you inspired me to do a cover of "Walk Like an Egyptian." Enjoy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5t0QdB_Oc8)

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Adelle, you inspired me to do a cover of "Walk Like an Egyptian." Enjoy! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5t0QdB_Oc8)

Uki- you are my hero. I can't stop laughing!!!!

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Uki- you are my hero.

I'm going to have this quote bronzed.:nana:

WS64
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
What exactly happened?
Did you get a msg by Youtube?
How do you know Universal was the culprit?

virginia_barkley
07-02-2008, 10:27 AM
:confused:

I hope this doesn't start a trend. I'm too lazy to write my own music.

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
What exactly happened?
Did you get a msg by Youtube?
How do you know Universal was the culprit?

This was sent to my regular email address, not my Youtube one:

Dear YouTube Member:

Universal Music Publishing has claimed some or all audio content in your video Manic Monday- Ukulele Bangles Cover. This claim was made as part of the YouTube Content Identification program.

Your video is no longer available because Universal Music Publishing has chosen to block it.

Claim Details:

Copyright owner: Universal Music Publishing
Content claimed: Some or all of the audio content
Policy: Block this content.

Applies to these locations:
Everywhere

WS64
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks Adelle...

It's the end of the world as we know it...

tad
07-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks Adelle...

It's the end of the world as we know it...

This statement is gonna get Michael Stipe and Peter Buck all over your butt.

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with that...;)

WS64
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Because of the song "Thanks Adelle"? ;)

But seriously, I have to sleep over this message before I can post something... constructive. Or at least not too pessimistic.

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that...;)

Uki, did you have an extra bowl of Wheaties this morning? You are on the ball, my man! lmao

And yeah, WS- I know. ::sigh:: I know. I got home from work & checked my mail & immediately started this thread... the magnitude of what this could possibly mean hadn't hit me yet. Guess we'll have to just wait & see for now...

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Uki, did you have an extra bowl of Wheaties this morning? You are on the ball, my man! lmao

My mother would be the first to tell you that I'm by nature a real smart-a$$. :p

UkuleleBlake
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
My first album is mainly covers. Even though I give the artists credit, what would happen if I opened a shop such as the Myspace Music Store or something?

WS64
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
I searched for some more Manic Monday videos.
Most seem still to work.
This one here however lost it's audio like yours, but already 4 months ago: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2WJYA9YDWi4
No idea what that means, just collecting some facts so far...

cMejilla
07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
lol. that is just ridiculous and completely outlandish.

stick it to the man and repost it.

Plainsong
07-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Now if only there was a way to do a massive RicRoll on Universal. ;)

So if you're singing it in the shower, does that mean they come and hunt you down?

virginia_barkley
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
When google purchased youtube a lot of music and other production companies filed lawsuits claiming infringement. Google came to settlement with most companies eg. sony, cbs, AND Universal Music Group. Google paid settlements and give portions of profits from ads attached to their content. In turn, the companies allowed them to continue to show SOME copyrighted content but not all. They did not come to any agreement with any individual artists. Artists such as Prince (and evidently the Bangles) refuse to have their music and videos shown without compensation. Youtube added filters to catch content still considered infringement.

It all depends on what artists, movies, or shows have asked to have their content removed. Universal is just the company that collects the compensation for the artists. So, they aren't so much the bad guy.

I think most bands enjoy the exposure...might even be flattered (sometimes:D). I guess others just want the cash.

UKISOCIETY
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
When google purchased youtube a lot of music and other production companies filed lawsuits claiming infringement. Google came to settlement with most companies eg. sony, cbs, AND Universal Music Group. Google paid settlements and give portions of profits from ads attached to their content. In turn, the companies allowed them to continue to show SOME copyrighted content but not all. They did not come to any agreement with any individual artists. Artists such as Prince (and evidently the Bangles) refuse to have their music and videos shown without compensation. Youtube added filters to catch content still considered infringement.

It all depends on what artists, movies, or shows have asked to have their content removed. Universal is just the company that collects the compensation for the artists. So, they aren't so much the bad guy.

I think most bands enjoy the exposure...might even be flattered (sometimes:D). I guess others just want the cash.

I think I've paid sufficiently just from having to listen to these artists in the '80s.

laietildaend
07-02-2008, 11:32 AM
flip
thatsucks
lets boycott their albums!
????????????????????????

Boozelele
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I like the idea of a group eternal flame cover.......hmmm.

It's not copywrite infringment if it is satire, educational,and.....shit, I wish I would have paid more attention in college.

WS64
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I think I've paid sufficiently just from having to listen to these artists in the '80s.

The 1980s were by far the worst musical decade (counting 1930 until today).
The really bad thing is I did not notice it during that time...

How could I ever like A Flock Of Seagulls or Orchestral Maneuvres In The Dark???

But back to Adelle's case...
From what I see so far the culprit is NOT Universal but really the Bangles. Are there any other videos without audio?

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
After reading Virginia Barkleys post... I did some research & figured it out. It's not The Bangles- and it's not even Universal... and I don't think we need to be too afraid... unless you've been practicing Purple Rain for 3 weeks- in that case, I'm about to crush your dreams.

It's Prince... or whatever the heck his name is now. He's the one who wrote 'Manic Monday'

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSL1364328420070914?feedType=RSS&feedName=internetNews&rpc=22&sp=true

russ_buss
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
After reading Virginia Barkleys post... I did some research & figured it out. It's not The Bangles- and it's not even Universal... and I don't think we need to be too afraid... unless you've been practicing Purple Rain for 3 weeks- in that case, I'm about to crush your dreams.

It's Prince... or whatever the heck his name is now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSL1364328420070914?feedType=RSS&feedName=internetNews&rpc=22&sp=true

*sigh*, *crumples up raspberry beret tabs and hook shots it into the trash bin*

Ian Boys
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I've always disliked prince.... but now I have a good reason to do so, besides the fact that I just don't like his music.

Jerk.

Because having covers of your music obviously hurts you... people hear it and then decide that that's good, and that they have no reason to hear the original if they haven't already. It obviously isn't a form of publicity that actually increases exposure.

Jerk.

I mean, I understand if they were targeting only the 'videos' that some people post that are essentially a slideshow or static image with the original audio. Those actually are infringement, but I don't see how a cover really is. That'd be like saying that Jake could sue about 5,000 uke players who have played his version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' and posted it on Youtube. In fact, that's like saying that George Harrison, may he rest in peace, could rise from the dead and sue Jake for covering his song.

Jerk.

If your a musician and you actually actually appreciate musical creativity and expression, why the heck would you sue someone when they take a song of yours and try to give it their own flavor?

Jerk.

Done now.

deach
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
If your a musician and you actually actually appreciate musical creativity and expression, why the heck would you sue someone when they take a song of yours and try to give it their own flavor?

Jerk.

Done now.

Because it's the Music BUSINESS.... Everyone wants to get paid for the work they have done.

BTW, I don't think what they did to Adelle is right.

deach
07-02-2008, 12:16 PM
*sigh*, *crumples up raspberry beret tabs and hook shots it into the trash bin*

laughs at Rasperry Beret TABS.

*crumples up raspberry beret...

Ian Boys
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Because it's the Music BUSINESS.... Everyone wants to get paid for the work they have done.

And I get that... I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind removing covers of your song that are not being sold for profit. I don't believe it'll replace the song's place in the world, and, if anything, it seems like it'd give the song/artist more publicity.

deach
07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
And I get that... I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind removing covers of your song that are not being sold for profit. I don't believe it'll replace the song's place in the world, and, if anything, it seems like it'd give the song/artist more publicity.

People go to YouTube to hear covers. More traffic means more money YT can charge for ads. It's all about money.

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

It's not copywrite infringment if it is satire, educational,and.....shit, I wish I would have paid more attention in college.

Booze, I think yr on to something here.

Who's down for writing songs set to the tune of Prince songs but with lyrics explaining why he's a super-douche?

adellethegreat
07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
To elaborate on my above post... I'm thinkin somethin like 'Monetary Gain' instead of 'Purple Rain'... gettin the feel for what I mean? lol C'mon... let's stick it to the man! Screw Prince! Let's see how much we can piss him off! He shall grumble all of our names under his breath... "Damn those ukulele players!"

virginia_barkley
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I've definitely added Prince to my "super-douche" list right along with Metallica.

salukulady
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I wonder if you belonged to ascap if that would make a difference...Where's Hobbit, he's a professional, he'd know.

RON<>VA
07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Don't be screwing with ukulele players!! Very bad karma:mad:

FrankNoCal
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM

Looks like the audio on urs has been removed also. Or I'm just drunk.

deach
07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Looks like the audio on urs has been removed also. Or I'm just drunk.

Holy crap! It happened to mine too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcUiImPVzk&watch_response

Oh man!

brokenwing
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
C'mon... let's stick it to the man! Screw Prince! Let's see how much we can piss him off! He shall grumble all of our names under his breath... "Damn those ukulele players!"
now you're scaring me...

andrew
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
If it's just Prince songs, does that mean Ukisociety and Deach should dub the audio back into their videos?

deach
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
If it's just Prince songs, does that mean Ukisociety and Deach should dub the audio back into their videos?

If you heard me sing and play, you wouldn't have written that. lol

tad
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Unfortunately, with the growing power of media conglomerates, the principle of fair use (what you refer to here, use for purposes of education, review, satire, etc...) is coming increasingly under attack.

It's a major problem for academics, especially 20th century historians. Universities face lawsuits, and have created copyright offices, usually consisting of people who aren't copyright lawyers, who take the strictest possible definitions, to the detriment of scholars.

Here's a link (http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/), for anyone interested in better understanding fair use-- it's a comic, and it's been reprinted online in its entirety.

We've reached a tipping point with regard to fair use, in the US. It's time to start insisting upon-- to start demanding-- the rights that are guaranteed us by the principle of fair use. (A right, incidentally, that can be interpreted to be implied by the same section of the constitution that gives the government the right to create copyright and patent laws in the first place...)

((Okay, I'll get off this soapbox now...))

seeso
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Dang, that blows. :mad:

I have a ton of covers on YouTube, and only one of them has received any complaints. My cover of "I Want You Back," by the Jackson 5 now wears an ad to increase revenue for the publishers.

Jack33@
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Tricky one this, the British version of music copywrite in Brtitain is the Perfrorming Rights Society or PRS.

In principle I support everything they do as they work with the Musician's Union to see that musicians get the dues they deserve and get paid for their work.

In practice this can also be very frustrating as the 'just for fun' song cannot always get to the stage or the You Tube screen without some kind of infringement. I made a short film recently and took all the actual playing out and substituted it for some random noodling for this reason.

On the whole I think Adelle is right, this seems very petty in relation to the sort of postings that are made by members on You Tube but equally I'd defend Adelle's right to the intellectual copywrite on any song she produced.

So in defending the intellectual rights of the Bangles we are defending ourselves....

...hang on did I just insinuate that the Bangles are intellectual? I need another coffee.
I agree this is just petty on the part of You Tube and the various artists involved.

salukulady
07-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Tricky one this, the British version of music copywrite in Brtitain is the Perfrorming Rights Society or PRS.

In principle I support everything they do as they work with the Musician's Union to see that musicians get the dues they deserve and get paid for their work.

In practice this can also be very frustrating as the 'just for fun' song cannot always get to the stage or the You Tube screen without some kind of infringement. I made a short film recently and took all the actual playing out and substituted it for some random noodling for this reason.

On the whole I think Adelle is right, this seems very petty in relation to the sort of postings that are made by members on You Tube but equally I'd defend Adelle's right to the intellectual copywrite on any song she produced.

So in defending the intellectual rights of the Bangles we are defending ourselves....

...hang on did I just insinuate that the Bangles are intellectual? I need another coffee.
I agree this is just petty on the part of You Tube and the various artists involved.That was my question....if she belonged to ascap would that've made them happy? i ran a children's performing group for 17 years. In order to use others music, I paid yearly dues. As I understand, every garage band that gets paid for a gig is breaking the law unless they maintain a membership with ascap. If you receive monetary compensation for someone else's music, you must pay. But how does that rule apply to youtube? Unless you have a site that makes money, I can't see the connection. Someone on this forum that has recorded professionally would know.....Hobbit? Aldrine?

deach
07-03-2008, 03:03 AM
...hang on did I just insinuate that the Bangles are intellectual? I need another coffee. ...

lol !

LonnaB
07-03-2008, 03:16 AM
This is all very interesting reading so far.

Prince- I think he has come serious control issues.

My question would be about live performances. I've seen some Prince covers in my time. Most notable would be Gov't Mules' version of When Doves Cry. Surely there are bootlegs of this out there that Prince isn't getting paid for. I can see how he's getting royalties from The Deepest End live album that was released, but where do the live performances fit in on all of this?

Greensky Bluegrass does a little Prince, too. (Holy Shit, those guys SLAM!)

Look- free Prince! Don't tell him!

http://www.archive.org/details/gsbg2005-10-28.flac16

Now, what makes the live internet archive different from youtube?

seeso
07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
This is all very interesting reading so far.

Prince- I think he has come serious control issues.

My question would be about live performances. I've seen some Prince covers in my time. Most notable would be Gov't Mules' version of When Doves Cry. Surely there are bootlegs of this out there that Prince isn't getting paid for. I can see how he's getting royalties from The Deepest End live album that was released, but where do the live performances fit in on all of this?

Greensky Bluegrass does a little Prince, too. (Holy Shit, those guys SLAM!)

Look- free Prince! Don't tell him!

http://www.archive.org/details/gsbg2005-10-28.flac16

Now, what makes the live internet archive different from youtube?

Live performance venues have blanket licenses with ASCAP and BMI. I've always wondered why YouTube doesn't do something similar.

LonnaB
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Live performance venues have blanket licenses with ASCAP and BMI. I've always wondered why YouTube doesn't do something similar.

Thanks, seeso. This is interesting and I'm sure we'll be discussing it around here tonight.

Seems as though that in a lot of cases, the law hasn't been able to keep up with the internet.

Howlin Hobbit
07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
That was my question....if she belonged to ascap would that've made them happy? i ran a children's performing group for 17 years. In order to use others music, I paid yearly dues. As I understand, every garage band that gets paid for a gig is breaking the law unless they maintain a membership with ascap. If you receive monetary compensation for someone else's music, you must pay. But how does that rule apply to youtube? Unless you have a site that makes money, I can't see the connection. Someone on this forum that has recorded professionally would know.....Hobbit? Aldrine?

Won't work, or at least, not quite the same way. The blanket licenses are for live performance -- though I think ASCAP tries to stick bars with a fee if they have a stereo playing as well -- and YouTube vids are mechanical reproductions.

But they're not quite the same as CDs or other physical media, so collecting on them is different. If you go and buy the mechanical reproduction rights for a given tune you can produce X amount of copies (however many you pay for). Note I said "produce," not "sell." The charge is on how many you make, not how many you sell. So if you make 500 CDs with a cover song on it and give 'em all away you still have to pay.

You can lay much of the blame at the foot of Disney and Sonny Bono for the ridiculously extended copyright periods nowadays. Nothing post-1923 is likely to come into public domain until long after most of us are dead.

And the idea that the artists (or even their heirs for that matter) get anything of note from ASCAP/BMI/etc. is a clever piece of propaganda that these organizations have spread. The way they figure the payouts, the people whose songs get regular airplay get buttloads of money and everyone else (i.e. the greater majority of songwriters) get sweet **** all.

salukulady
07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Thank you, Hobbit. I knew you'd know the details.

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 06:33 AM
speaking of copyright infringement, here is the latest on youtube legal matters.

--------------------------------------------

NEW YORK - Dismissing privacy concerns, a federal judge overseeing a $1 billion copyright-infringement lawsuit against YouTube has ordered the popular online video-sharing service to disclose who watches which video clips and when.

U.S. District Judge Louis L. Stanton authorized full access to the YouTube logs after Viacom Inc. and other copyright holders argued that they needed the data to show whether their copyright-protected videos are more heavily watched than amateur clips.

The data would not be publicly released but disclosed only to the plaintiffs, and it would include less specific identifiers than a user's real name or e-mail address.

Lawyers for Google Inc., which owns YouTube, said producing 12 terabytes of data — equivalent to the text of roughly 12 million books — would be expensive, time-consuming and a threat to users' privacy.

The database includes information on when each video gets played, which can be used to determine how often a clip is viewed. Attached to each entry is each viewer's unique login ID and the Internet Protocol, or IP, address for that viewer's computer.

Stanton ruled this week that the plaintiffs had a legitimate need for the information and that the privacy concerns are speculative.

Stanton rejected a request from the plaintiffs for Google to disclose the source code — the technical secret sauce — powering its market-leading search engine, saying there's no evidence Google manipulated its search algorithms to treat copyright-infringing videos differently.

The court has yet to rule on Google's requests to question comedians Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert of Viacom's Comedy Central.

Viacom is seeking at least $1 billion in damages from Google, saying YouTube has built a business by using the Internet to "willfully infringe" copyrights on Viacom shows, which include Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and Nickelodeon's "SpongeBob SquarePants" cartoon.

The lawsuit was combined with a similar case filed by a British soccer league and other parties.

Together, the plaintiffs are trying to prove that YouTube has known of copyright infringement and can do more to stop it, a finding that could dissolve the immunity protections that service providers have when they merely host content submitted by their users.

Though Google said giving the plaintiffs access to YouTube viewer data would threaten users' privacy, Stanton referred to Google's own blog entry in which the company argued that the IP address alone cannot identify a specific individual.

In a statement, Google said it was "disappointed the court granted Viacom's overreaching demand for viewing history. We are asking Viacom to respect users' privacy and allow us to anonymize the logs before producing them under the court's order."

Google did not say whether it would appeal the ruling or seek to narrow it.

Stanton's ruling made only passing reference to a 1988 federal law barring the disclosure of specific video materials that subscribers request or obtain.

Kurt Opsahl, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said Stanton should have considered that law along with constitutional free-speech rights, including a right to read or view materials anonymously.

He said a user's ID can sometimes include identifying information such as a first initial and last name.

Viacom said it isn't seeking any user's identity. The company said any data provided "will be used exclusively for the purpose of proving our case against YouTube and Google (and) will be handled subject to a court protective order and in a highly confidential manner."

This is not the first time Google has fought the disclosure of user information it had been stockpiling. While gathering evidence for a case involving online pornography, the U.S. Justice Department subpoenaed Google and other search engines for lists of search requests made by their users.

After Google resisted, a federal judge ruled that Google was obliged to turn over only a sample of Web addresses in its search index, not the actual search terms requested.

----------------------------------------

thank you, yahoo news!

Boozelele
07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Dude, I totally got like three quarters of the way through that article before my eyes started to glaze over. But this whole thing reminds me of that stupid Napster/Limewire debacle. Instead of moving into the 21st century, Viacom just wants to sue. I have no idea what I am trying to say....i just woke up. All I know is I have an opinion, and at some point Im going to express it. Hasta la victoria siempre.

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Dude, I totally got like three quarters of the way through that article before my eyes started to glaze over. But this whole thing reminds me of that stupid Napster/Limewire debacle. Instead of moving into the 21st century, Viacom just wants to sue. I have no idea what I am trying to say....i just woke up. All I know is I have an opinion, and at some point Im going to express it. Hasta la victoria siempre.

i feel you on that morning thing, and i envy the fact that you just woke up. its not even noon yet... lets just say that i've been up since about 4am and went to bed around.. idk..1am

:(

Boozelele
07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
i feel you on that morning thing, and i envy the fact that you just woke up. its not even noon yet... lets just say that i've been up since about 4am and went to bed around.. idk..1am:(

I was up drinking wine and annoying my neighbors with my uke till like 3:00 A.M. It's not easy living up to my screen name. If you want to "fight the power" Heather, you can upload a Prince cover to the new Revolutionary website: PrincessAdelleRevolt. Annoying Prince is a very worthwhile cause.

Atica! Atica! Atica!

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I was up drinking wine and annoying my neighbors with my uke till like 3:00 A.M. It's not easy living up to my screen name. If you want to "fight the power" Heather, you can upload a Prince cover to the new Revolutionary website: PrincessAdelleRevolt. Annoying Prince is a very worthwhile cause.

Atica! Atica! Atica!

it does seem like a worthwhile cause. i hate seeing videos go down on youtube for stupid copyrite infringement that shouldn't even be copyright infringement.

WTH (what the heck!)

bahahahaha

oh, and PS:
i hate you for going to sleep one hour before i woke up. :(

Boozelele
07-04-2008, 09:53 AM
What sucks the most I think is that Adelle's version of Manic Monday was actually a compliment. Nothing like complimenting someone and getting slapped in the face in return (unless that's what your in to). Prince is a jerk. :mad:

(ok, time to get up)

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
What sucks the most I think is that Adelle's version of Manic Monday was actually a compliment. Nothing like complimenting someone and getting slapped in the face in return (unless that's what your in to). Prince is a jerk. :mad:

(ok, time to get up)

a lot of them are compliments, and if anything will promote the artist. i think it's rediculous that this is all sprouting up.

*sigh*

deach
07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
a lot of them are compliments, and if anything will promote the artist. i think it's rediculous that this is all sprouting up.

*sigh*

You always wanted to be Apollonia, didn't you?

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
You always wanted to be Apollonia, didn't you?

pshhhhh what are you talkin about....

:)

okay
only since purple rain........

HumbleSounds
07-04-2008, 11:38 AM
So the issue isn't purely on you tube. A representative of the musicians union came to the local open mike and said that we weren't allowed to play covers there either. DOh! What can you do though?

adellethegreat
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
So the issue isn't purely on you tube. A representative of the musicians union came to the local open mike and said that we weren't allowed to play covers there either. DOh! What can you do though?

Where & when did that happen?

lovemissheather
07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

wait, what???!?!?!

that's going overboard...

Howlin Hobbit
07-04-2008, 07:24 PM

You can have the venue pay the yearly ASCAP and BMI fees. But usually they won't. Often for the same reason they have an open mike instead of paying musicians.

Can you guess the reason?

(Oi! Don't get me started!)

salukulady
07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey, Hobbit, what would it cost for an individual to pay ascap and bmi to belong? When I payed my dues I belonged to a franchise group. It would be so cool to be independently wealthy and just belong and give the thumbs up to all the powers that be.........

Kanaka916
07-05-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey, Hobbit, what would it cost for an individual to pay ascap and bmi to belong? ....
For ASCAP (http://www.ascap.com/about/howjoin.asp) and BMI (http://www.bmi.com/join/?link=navbar). Too much info for me to read and pass along especially just after getting off work.

CurtainGuy
07-05-2008, 06:02 AM
What the crap!? They took down a COVER? That's crazy!!

Howlin Hobbit
07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey, Hobbit, what would it cost for an individual to pay ascap and bmi to belong? When I payed my dues I belonged to a franchise group. It would be so cool to be independently wealthy and just belong and give the thumbs up to all the powers that be.........

I don't think that belonging to either of those groups would help in this situation. It's for songwriters, etc. They'd still expect you to pay if you covered someone else's material.

lovemissheather
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think that belonging to either of those groups would help in this situation. It's for songwriters, etc. They'd still expect you to pay if you covered someone else's material.

i really don't think that making covers of a song should be a problem in regards to copyright. as long as the artist is mentioned and the individual does not claim to have written the song.

like i said previously, don't you think that someone covering another individual song would be seen as not only a compliment to that individual and their work... but also a way to promote their music.

if covers are being performed via youtube or open mics throughout the world.. it's giving those artists that many more people who are interested in their work && their music.

all that is going on in regards to copyright infringement right now is absolutely rediculous in my opinion. i understand to an extent as to why there is a fuss about it, but when you're disablinbg sound on youtube users videos and threatening lawsuits via myspace music pages (yeah, i was hit for copyright infringement on one of mine on an old page i had made years ago ... i logged on last night to update it and put on different work... and came to find it.. WTF), that's just REDICULOUS.

i take that back... rediculous is an understatement.

:mad:

Kanaka916
07-06-2008, 03:30 AM
We had a similar situation last year where we kanikapila on Friday evenings. Long story short, the proprietors received a certified letter from BMI saying we could not play live or for that matter stream music on the premises. They threatened with a lawsuit unless all activities ceased or pay an annual licensing fee. Basically you can't use copyrighted music to enhance business is a no-no unless you have permission. Lots of gray as well as broad areas in the explanation. Our friends decided to opt for the annual fee in lieu of a possible suit. Mind you, this is a small restaurant and we've been doing this for awhile. Out of the clear blue, this happens. We kinda speculated someone ratted them out because of . . . . .

salukulady
07-06-2008, 05:28 AM
We had a similar situation last year where we kanikapila on Friday evenings. Long story short, the proprietors received a certified letter from BMI saying we could not play live or for that matter stream music on the premises. They threatened with a lawsuit unless all activities ceased or pay an annual licensing fee. Basically you can't use copyrighted music to enhance business is a no-no unless you have permission. Lots of gray as well as broad areas in the explanation. Our friends decided to opt for the annual fee in lieu of a possible suit. Mind you, this is a small restaurant and we've been doing this for awhile. Out of the clear blue, this happens. We kinda speculated someone ratted them out because of . . . . .

So basically if you jam anywhere that is not a private home or public property, you are breaking the law......boy, there's a lot of people breaking the law for their love of music.....

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Wow dude thats pretty gay.

I hope that doesnt mean that all of the cover songs on youtube are in danger.

:eek:

Jack33@
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow dude thats pretty gay.

Gay?

How do you mean?

salukulady
07-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Gay?

How do you mean?was wondering when someone was going to call him on that.......

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 01:36 PM
sorry if i offended anyone i was just saying how i thought that was stupid.

no offense meant at all.

?

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
was wondering when someone was going to call him on that.......

what the hell? I really didnt think you guys would be bothered by that so much when much more offending things have been said here. Im sorry if that really offended you but jeeze, not that big of a deal. believe it or not i have gay friends. I was just expressing myself in a bad way. so go ahead. if it makes you happy, give me more negative kudos. damn.

deach
07-06-2008, 02:01 PM
what the hell? I really didnt think you guys would be bothered by that so much when much more offending things have been said here. Im sorry if that really offended you but jeeze, not that big of a deal. believe it or not i have gay friends. I was just expressing myself in a bad way. so go ahead. if it makes you happy, give me more negative kudos. damn.

Dude, take a chill pill. You're on the internet. If you say something that isn't politically correct, you are bound to offend someone. You can either choose to post in an adult manner or deal with offending people.

You might not think saying something is gay is offensive but it wasn't too long ago you were upset when someone made an innocent joke about your standing in your family....

lovemissheather
07-06-2008, 02:24 PM

i agree with deach. i know the deal with terms used today in simple street slang, etc. and as deach said, you are bound to offend someone... especially with a quote like that. don't freak out over it - no one had even responded to your "sorry" comment, and no one was really rude to you in adressing it either.

take a deep breath, and chill out. because yes, it's the internet. and yes, we are all opinionated a-holes at times. so using a "wrong term" or saying the "wrong thing" will cause some sort of dispute.

i dont really have much else to say at this point.
back to being PO'ed about UMG and copyright infringement!
arghh!

:rock:

any smiles yet?
:D

Plainsong
07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Dude, take a chill pill. You're on the internet. If you say something that isn't politically correct, you are bound to offend someone. You can either choose to post in an adult manner or deal with offending people.

You might not think saying something is gay is offensive but it wasn't too long ago you were upset when someone made an innocent joke about your standing in your family....

Oh too right.

But there is two meanings, other than the original meaning of happy. There's gay, and then there's ghey, and it's become, for better or worse, internet slang for stupid.

If I were gay, I don't know I'd feel about that. Would it piss me off or would it not be on my radar?

Either case, he's better off posting that kind of stuff at 4chan than taking it outside to civilized forums.

nikolo727
07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks guys. my bad.
:(

salukulady
07-06-2008, 03:52 PM
was not offended at all.....

UKISOCIETY
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
If you've been around UU long enough, you'd realize that Nikolo is a good guy and did not mean to offend.

That said, it's best to be careful about what you say on public forums. I ought to know, I've been burned before. :(

deach
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
If you've been around UU long enough, you'd realize that Nikolo is a good guy and did not mean to offend.

That said, it's best to be careful about what you say on public forums. I ought to know, I've been burned before. :(

I agree, he's a good guy with some misguided enthusiasm.

The difference between light and laser is focus.

lovemissheather
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I agree, he's a good guy with some misguided enthusiasm.

The difference between light and laser is focus.

haha yes.
i was not offended but i know people who would have been by reading it. all in all, yessir he is a good guy.

dont feel bad, and i hope i didnt come across harsh with my last post.
i didnt mean it in such a way.
i just want everyone to chill out.
you know.
smile agian.

MOVING ON!!!!!!!!

:nana:

SailQwest
07-07-2008, 06:01 AM
We've been out on charter, and I just had a chance to wade through this thread.

Wow! This whole copyright issue is sending some chills through me!!!

Plainsong
07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Of course he's a good guy. It's just use of internet slang rearing its ugly head. I suppose filming yourself performing a cover for no profit should be covered under fair use, but isn't.

Jack33@
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Would the definition of fair use be covered by a private on line member's club?

If the vids were only available to be seen by UU members would that count as 'Fair'? Would that even be desirable?

Moved on.

tad
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Of course he's a good guy. It's just use of internet slang rearing its ugly head. I suppose filming yourself performing a cover for no profit should be covered under fair use, but isn't.

I have to say, I dropped some negative rep on that comment.
I don't care if it's "internet slang," or if someone's a good person or not. It offends me. Quite a bit.

It frustrates me that it can be tossed around so casually, when if someone were to, say, drop the N-bomb, I doubt people would be so quick to just say, "aw, it's okay, he's just an over-enthusiastic kid!"

--------------------------------

The problem is that Youtube (at least supposedly) makes a profit. I think there'd be a fair use argument for the person making the cover, but when you post it on a commercial site, THEY are hosting it for profit, so the fair use argument flies out the window, unfortunately.

Video hosting is an expensive and technically difficult proposition, but a nonprofit, educational site could post 'em and have a strong fair use argument, if you ask me.

GrumpyCoyote
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Yep - although most artists and rights holders don't bother to enforce.

We are technically stealing by posting (distributing) a recorded performance of another artists work without permission & formal rights arrangements. It violates youtube's policy and most international copyright law.

It's stupid - but there it is.

I'm astonished they bothered though - it's such common practice and clearly not done for profit, seems hardly worth the effort.

lovemissheather
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
i got an email from youtube today regarding copyright on the slideshow video i did. van morrison cover.

wtf.

they didnt take it off.
i think there are ways around it.
ways.. where you DON'T have to pay...

keonepax
07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
One of my friends said his cover of "Brown Eyed Girl" was pulled from YouTube. Van Morrison is also very vigilant about his stuff...

deach
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
i got an email from youtube today regarding copyright on the slideshow video i did. van morrison cover.

wtf.

they didnt take it off.
i think there are ways around it.
ways.. where you DON'T have to pay...

Who is exile?

lovemissheather
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Who is exile?

i dont even know.
there was a company who had a youtube account, and i was wondering if it might possibly not even be real. the email AND the company that is.

the email was "confidential" which i dont really buy....
kinda makes me want to take it off of the thing. see what happens.
hmm.

deach
07-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Take a look at this vid's description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrEnGbEdF1U

SailQwest
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Now how would you go about getting "kind permission of Exile"?

Plainsong
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I have to say, I dropped some negative rep on that comment.
I don't care if it's "internet slang," or if someone's a good person or not. It offends me. Quite a bit.

It frustrates me that it can be tossed around so casually, when if someone were to, say, drop the N-bomb, I doubt people would be so quick to just say, "aw, it's okay, he's just an over-enthusiastic kid!"

I didn't say it was right, and I agree with you. It's just that it is. Go to any of the larger more "no holds barred" type forums and you'll see it's true. Drop negative karma on me if you want for simply stating a fact. So we get minus points for saying things that are sad, but true nowadays then. :cool:

deach
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I didn't say it was right, and I agree with you. It's just that it is. Go to any of the larger more "no holds barred" type forums and you'll see it's true. Drop negative karma on me if you want for simply stating a fact. So we get minus points for saying things that are sad, but true nowadays then. :cool:

OK, OK, group hug....

Plainsong
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
It's just such BS to basically to equate stating something you've found to be true is the same as ENDORSING it. I mean who wants to be lumped in with biggots when you've fought against that kind of crap for as long as you can remember?

But no, it's the internet, and anyone can label you as anything. If that's the way we're gonna play, then it's time to fire up the ignore list. :(

lovemissheather
07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
you guys, you guys. we're done, here...

c'mon now.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
im probably the last person to keep the peace in anything but come on.... peace and love.. UU love <3

deach
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
* hugs ukulelesreggae
* tries to pick-pocket him

* hugs lovemissheather and plainsong awkwardly too long.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM
* hugs ukulelesreggae
* tries to pick-pocket him

* hugs lovemissheather and plainsong awkwardly too long.

LmAO! did u get anything?

deach
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
LmAO! did u get anything?

lint
gum wrapper
picture of couple on beach that came with the wallet
something circular in a square packet. looks really really really old.
library card

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
lint
gum wrapper
picture of couple on beach that came with the wallet
something circular in a square packet. looks really really really old.
library card

im cool with that, except i need library card...must..get..knowledge :cool:

deach
07-07-2008, 06:22 PM
im cool with that, except i need library card...must..get..knowledge :cool:

That's what the interweb iz for.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
That's what the interweb iz for.

interweb?? confusion tooo much

salukulady
07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
hijack |ˈhīˌjak| (also highjack)
verb [ trans. ]
illegally seize (an aircraft, ship, or vehicle) in transit and force it to go to a different destination or use it for one's own purposes : three armed men hijacked a white van | [as n. ] ( hijacking) an eight-hour hijacking.
steal (goods) by seizing them in transit.
take over (something) and use it for a different purpose : the organization had been hijacked by extremists.

It's a good thing........

Plainsong
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm just using the ignore feature so I don't have to deal with whatever he falsely thinks of me from thread to thread. It's better that way.

Hey, I got a creepy hug! But I was saving that lint for a special occassion. ;)

tad
07-08-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm just using the ignore feature so I don't have to deal with whatever he falsely thinks of me from thread to thread. It's better that way.

Hey, I got a creepy hug! But I was saving that lint for a special occassion. ;)

I'm assuming that you won't see this if you're ignoring me, but you misunderstood me-- I gave a negative rep to nikolo for saying that it was "gay," because it offended me. Not you.

Check your rep-- you can see if you've gotten negative reps from me, if I'm not mistaken, and you haven't.

All I was saying was that I don't want this place turning into somewhere where people feel comfortable using hate speech.

EDIT:
Could someone pass this info along to Plainsong? If she's ignoring me, she won't see it...
I really hate to think that she'd think I was that much of an ass... Especially when the entire thing was just a matter of an ambiguous... is "that" a pronoun or an adjective in the phrase, "that comment"?... well, whichever it is. I'd hate for someone to get so mad at me over a misunderstanding over poor word choice.

Jack33@
07-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Unwittingly having poor word choice seems to be a pattern on this thread...you see how much pain the artist formerly known as Prince can cause?

hijack |?h??jak| (also highjack)
I thought this was just the way people said hello to me
(This is an attempt at levity, it seems so unhelpful now I've written it)

tad
07-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Unwittingly having poor word choice seems to be a pattern on this thread...you see how much pain the artist formerly known as Prince can cause?

Fortunately, Morris Day and the Time are responsible for nothing but good feelings all around.

salukulady
07-08-2008, 11:10 AM

(This is an attempt at levity, it seems so unhelpful now I've written it)I was waiting for a Jack to respond.......I was only trying to impose some levity also and commending those that were attempting to "hijack" the thread that was getting tense! So here's to our weird senses of humor! Hi Jack, I'm Sally, nice to meet you.

SailQwest
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Back to the topic... I'm tempted to play a Prince song tonight at open mic night. Unfortunately I don't know any.

But it sounds like Brown Eyed Girl might be a close second for controversy. Hmmm... I'll have to see if Rich feels like playing that tonight.

(Yells to Rich, "Hey, can you play the intro to Brown Eyed Girl?")

salukulady
07-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Just sing Purple Rain, that should be enuf to piss off the little guy.......

russ_buss
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Back to the topic... I'm tempted to play a Prince song tonight at open mic night. Unfortunately I don't know any.

But it sounds like Brown Eyed Girl might be a close second for controversy. Hmmm... I'll have to see if Rich feels like playing that tonight.

(Yells to Rich, "Hey, can you play the intro to Brown Eyed Girl?")

you want controversy? you got it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mdgg_prince-controversy_music

can you please cover that? it would be oh so sweet!:)

lovemissheather
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM

YESSS.
brilliant!
:D

SailQwest
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Oh, sure, you bet! We'll do a cover of that tomorrow for YouTube! ;)

adellethegreat
07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Well I hope someone does another one soon... can't let the revolution get stale. Cashew said she wrote one but it hasn't shown up yet...?

Boozelele
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
im going to try to post something Thursday or Friday...havent decided what yet....Im NOT a prince fan...so I don't know many of his tunes (and I'm ok with that). ;)

Howlin Hobbit
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
hijack |ˈhīˌjak| (also highjack)

We rescued a (LARGE) part-siamese from a shelter. Picked him up the day before he was due for the last needle as it turns out. When he got to the shelter he'd been beat up bad. As a result, they had to remove one of his eyes.

The people from the shelter were calling him Pirate. Now, besides the fact that I have a friend nicknamed Pirate (who has both eyes, btw, and I am the one who gave him the nickname) we just found Pirate to be too damn trite.

So we named him Jack (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=137). Don't know how many people get the joke. Don't care.

But he does get a lot of "Hi Jack" when he enters the room.

salukulady
07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Jack is a beautiful cat!

14twelve
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
We rescued a (LARGE) part-siamese from a shelter. Picked him up the day before he was due for the last needle as it turns out. When he got to the shelter he'd been beat up bad. As a result, they had to remove one of his eyes.

Jack is beautiful! And what perfect timing for you to get him. He looks like he's doing ok with just one eye.

Plainsong
07-09-2008, 01:35 AM
And what a pretty one eye he has. :)

I wish we could get a cat. Our dachshund doesn't think much of cats though. We'd need one who was familiar with dogs and didn't stress over being barked at. Sort of like "Well if you're quite finished, I'll be up on the bed. Oh, and if you bring that aggro to me again you're going to regret it."

And I don't think that's gonna happen. Maybe in a bigger house, maybe, perhaps, but not here. :(

I'm just not a doggie or cat person, but rather animals in general. :)

It's the most worthwhile purchase I've read on this forum. ;)

cashew
07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Well I hope someone does another one soon... can't let the revolution get stale. Cashew said she wrote one but it hasn't shown up yet...?

its uploading now... got stuck in the 33 hours of work in 3 days right after a vacation, so I am feeling a little braindead today...

--Cashew

Also-- did the PW to the PrincessAdelleRevolt youtube change? I was hoping to upload something to it.

Boozelele
07-09-2008, 07:01 AM
did the PW to the PrincessAdelleRevolt youtube change? I was hoping to upload something to it.

PM deach for the PW

cashew
07-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Ahh-- thank ya much!

nikolo727
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM

The people from the shelter were calling him Pirate. Now, besides the fact that I have a friend nicknamed Pirate (who has both eyes, btw, and I am the one who gave him the nickname) we just found Pirate to be too damn trite.

So we named him Jack (http://howlinhobbit.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=137). Don't know how many people get the joke. Don't care.

hes a pertty little boy! you did the right thing biggins. you did the right thing.

yes i shall call HH biggins. unless he doesnt like it. ;)

RON<>VA
07-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Lovin Jack the cat! You done a good thing! My own 8 year old fat cat-Sara Beth- was a rescued cat. Now all she is good for is to eat, follow me around the house and sit on my lap, all the time! It's often a fight for space between my laptop and her; she usually wins.

SailQwest
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM

He's a very handsome boy!

lovemissheather
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
so i wrote an awesome song about this copyright infringement BS last night.

i'll try and record when i get home tonight.
:)

salukulady
07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
so i wrote an awesome song about this copyright infringement BS last night.

i'll try and record when i get home tonight.
:)Cool, can't wait to hear it!!

nikolo727
07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=tad;44205]I have to say, I dropped some negative rep on that comment.

Dude im sorry. Really. I really didnt mean anything by it, and ive taken what I said into consideration. I really hope your still not angry by what I said but if you are then I deserve to be yelled at/thought bad of/whatever. But I will say im sorry.

uke142464
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM

yea, my dad is making me sign all the original papers I wrote my 2 songs on, one of them being the middle school blues which was a complete joke:confused: