Higher Tension Soprano Strings?

Paul December

Reaction score
After playing my tenors, I'm finding the feel of my soprano's strings lacking in tension (Aquilas). Can anyone suggest good sounding strings with a bit higher tension?
I'd like to keep my soprano tuned GCEA

I'm sure a harder and thicker strings would accomplish that...but you may have to widen the grooves in the nut...Good Luck....
With higher tension you lose the playbility and comfort, why would you want to do that?? Jus wondering...

I'm sure a harder and thicker strings would accomplish that...but you may have to widen the grooves in the nut...Good Luck....
With higher tension you lose the playbility and comfort, why would you want to do that?? Jus wondering...

Not a lot more tension, just a bit more. I guess just a "feel" thing.

You can put tenor strings on your uke - my Kiwaya came with tenor strings fitted from the previous owner. I swapped them straight out but the tension was higher. Also Worth do a 'strong' or higher tension string. Also you could try tuning your uke to the old school tuning of D. A D F# B. that would give you more tension.

Just put Aquila concert strings on - more tension but should otherwise feel identical. I use concert strings on all my sopranos.

Fremont has a new higher tension "hard" soprano - concert string available in the Black Line series.

Top Bottom