simple midi editor - suggestions?

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
Hi forum,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, but maybe someone here will have suggestions anyway.

I'm looking for a simple (simplistic???) midi editor or notation editor that I can use to generate backing track midis for my uke practice sessions, just simple single instrument chord progressions. There is no shortage of feature rich and horribly complex software available that I would almost need a PhD to understand, but I don't need 99% of the functionality that's on offer and I don't want to spend days or weeks becoming an expert at it either.

Does anyone know of, have, or use a simple music editor that I could generate simple chord progressions in, at a given time signature and key signature, and that would generate a midi file or any other sound format sound file as output?

If my question is too vague please feel free to whack me with a clue stick :)

Bruce in Adelaide.

I've used "Power Tab" to do this. It is free but you have to set it up for "ukulele".

You enter the music in tab notation format, and you get sheet music with a staff (or two or three) of standard music notation on top and a staff of tabulature below it.

You can change time signatures, add slides, tie notes, repeats, etc. It's a full fledged editor.

You can play your piece on the computer, and also outputs the file as a midi.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.power-tab.net/

Top Bottom