Curly, ambrosia, spalted, wormy Maple

Ken W

Reaction score
I know that there is no such thing, but these pieces do show signs of all of these. The curl is hard to see in the picture but shows up a bit on the right board. These came out of a board about 8 feet long and 16 inches wide that a friend was discarding because it "looked rotten." I cut some of it today to make bottoms for some small jewelry boxes, but I'm thinking they would make a fine looking instrument. I may have to rethink my plans.

Attachments

• DSC02966.jpg
    DSC02966.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 88
Aloha Ken, those pieces look pretty cool. I vote fine looking instrument.

Red maple. No punkyness. Fill the wormholes with black/dark brown epoxy and resaw. Use some Boiled Linseed Oil to pop the curl and top with you favorite flavor of topcoat. What's not to love?

I know that there is no such thing, but these pieces do show signs of all of these. The curl is hard to see in the picture but shows up a bit on the right board. These came out of a board about 8 feet long and 16 inches wide that a friend was discarding because it "looked rotten." I cut some of it today to make bottoms for some small jewelry boxes, but I'm thinking they would make a fine looking instrument. I may have to rethink my plans.

Would love this with just enough fill and coat with whatever brings out the grain and natural color. A mighty fine looking instrument, for sure. Want to see this one when it's finished. Hope you keep us informed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom