steel ukulele strings?

zachbdude

Reaction score
i want some steel ukulele strings for christmas but it just hit me, can i put steel strings on my uke? will the nut and brigde i have handle it or will the steel destroy them? do i need to get a special nut and bridge for the steel strings?

Unless your ukulele was made specifically to handle steel strings- a solid body electric uke for example- then do NOT put steel strings on it; the tension would be too high and the bridge could come off, the neck warp, or the top might cave in. Even if the bridge could handle the tension, the neck would most likely warp making it unplayable.

ETA: If the ukulele in question came with nylon strings, whether it be acoustic or electric, I would stay away from steel strings.

Last edited:
thanks, unfortunatly this disapoints me
Unless your ukulele was made specifically to handle steel strings- a solid body electric uke for example- then do NOT put steel strings on it; the tension would be too high and the bridge could come off, the neck warp, or the top might cave in. Even if the bridge could handle the tension, the neck would most likely warp making it unplayable.

ETA: If the ukulele in question came with nylon strings, whether it be acoustic or electric, I would stay away from steel strings.

Top Bottom