Uke Fever?

JoeOahu

Reaction score
So I think I may have uke fever. After buying my first pro series uke, I am very compelled to buy many more than I will ever need in the future. Anyone else feel this way?

Joe

So I think I may have uke fever. After buying my first pro series uke, I am very compelled to buy many more than I will ever need in the future. Anyone else feel this way?

Joe

nope. One uke is enough for me. I can only play one at a time.

nope. One uke is enough for me. I can only play one at a time.

Yeah that's the smart thing. And in my head the most practical thing. But I really look at all the variety of ukes out there and it tempts me haha.

Joe

It's called UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I caught it very early on (just check my sig), pretty much right after I picked up the ukulele almost 4 years ago, and it went into remission about a year ago. Then after I recently received a custom I ordered over 3 years ago and it kind of triggered some UAS again. It comes and goes, but unless you have an iron will, it doesn't seem to completely go away.

It's called UAS (Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome). I caught it very early on (just check my sig), pretty much right after I picked up the ukulele almost 4 years ago, and it went into remission about a year ago. Then after I recently received a custom I ordered over 3 years ago and it kind of triggered some UAS again. It comes and goes, but unless you have an iron will, it doesn't seem to completely go away.

Haha very well put! Yeah what I see happening is me getting maybe another nice uke sometime (a KoAloha looks so tempting..), then going all out sometime in the distant future and getting a custom.. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but at this point in time I could easily seeing myself succumbing to the urge. :p

EDIT: My god you have a lot of ukes. I think you may have a problem hahaha. UAS is good, but I'm thinking Ukulele Hoarding is also a viable term in your situation. :p

Joe

Last edited:

Joe

aaaah Joe...indeed I fear you may be afflicted with the dreaded UAS bug. Whilst doctors debate the causes sadly, there is, as yet, no known cure, except to buy another ukulele. :eek:I have counselled many presenting with the symptoms you describe and have tried a range of remedies, all to no avail. Alas, it is a lust that cannot be tamed, a thirst that cannot be quenched. Regrettably, prognosis for sufferers of the disease is not good. Financial ruin...broken homes....until one ends up a broken, desolate figure resigned to a life of kicking tin cans along gutters. Take my ex-wife for example: we divorced after a brief union, citing, as one does, "irreconcilable differences"...I loved ukes and she was different :p......Hmmmm...better take two aspirin and call me in the morning!

your (friendly) doctor eugene

PS there was a thread started in 'uke talk' a few weeks back with the title "UAS: A Theory of Justification" which you might find sheds some light on your unfortunate circumstance:)

When I got my KoAloha, I figured I'd be cured. Oddly, I still find myself getting distracted by "special offers", etc. I think this is due to our culture of materialism. It's so easy to get addicted to buying things. There's nothing quite like the rush of spending money and bringing something new home.

I haven't succumbed, so far. When I get this distraction, I get out the KoAloha and practice. At the end of the day, I've hopefully improved, and I have no buyer's remorse. And it's such a fine, satisfying 'uke. If I ever get so accomplished that I feel I've "mastered" the KoAloha, then maybe I'll buy another 'ukulele.

Last edited:
A kamaka HF3 tenor is a great uke. Focus on learning how to play it really well, and don't get distracted by pretty wood when you hit a barrier, and you may avoid UAS.

No don't get me wrong. I've been playing this Kamaka all day for four days staight and I'm in love and wouldnt give it up for the world. I am focused on my music, but yes, I just see myself getting others to join it in the future. Not the near future but as I grow as a uke player I can see it happening. It's like UAS in dormancy, but I know it's gonna bite up and tell me to find something later on when I have the cash to add to the family unfortunately. :)

When I got my KoAloha, I figured I'd be cured. Oddly, I still find myself getting distracted by "special offers", etc. I think this is due to our culture of materialism. It's so easy to get addicted to buying things. There's nothing quite like the rush of spending money and bringing something new home.

I haven't succumbed, so far. When I get this distraction, I get out the KoAloha and practice. At the end of the day, I've hopefully improved, and I have no buyer's remorse. And it's such a fine, satisfying 'uke. If I ever get so accomplished that I feel I've "mastered" the KoAloha, then maybe I'll buy another 'ukulele.

No such thing as mastering an instrument, brah. You'll be hooked on it for life. :)

aaaah Joe...indeed I fear you may be afflicted with the dreaded UAS bug. Whilst doctors debate the causes sadly, there is, as yet, no known cure, except to buy another ukulele. :eek:I have counselled many presenting with the symptoms you describe and have tried a range of remedies, all to no avail. Alas, it is a lust that cannot be tamed, a thirst that cannot be quenched. Regrettably, prognosis for sufferers of the disease is not good. Financial ruin...broken homes....until one ends up a broken, desolate figure resigned to a life of kicking tin cans along gutters. Take my ex-wife for example: we divorced after a brief union, citing, as one does, "irreconcilable differences"...I loved ukes and she was different :p......Hmmmm...better take two aspirin and call me in the morning!

your (friendly) doctor eugene

PS there was a thread started in 'uke talk' a few weeks back with the title "UAS: A Theory of Justification" which you might find sheds some light on your unfortunate circumstance:)

My god this made my morning hahaha.

Joe

Yes, and welcome to UU!
It is natural for us to want to collect things... it is very common. I think ukuleles are much more fun to collect that other stuff. I find that waiting for a custom built ukulele can delay or suppress the urge to acquire new ukuleles, so try and order from someone with a very long waiting list. There might be a few ukes that capture your heart in the meantime, but you will be less impulsive knowing a really nice custom is coming.

–Lori

I find that waiting for a custom built ukulele can delay or suppress the urge to acquire new ukuleles, so try and order from someone with a very long waiting list. There might be a few ukes that capture your heart in the meantime, but you will be less impulsive knowing a really nice custom is coming.

Lori you are so right! I'm having a custom uke built and I actually stopped looking at the Marketplace and FMM for a couple days without realizing it. Wow. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how I look at it) the luthier is already working on my new concert so it will be ready in a few (6?) weeks. I have high hopes that this will quench my thirst for a while.

I'm pretty sure most of the population of UU have UAS in some form or another. I seem to be in remission after getting three within about six weeks...going up from beginner and not that good a sound to having a Luna Pineapple Soprano and Ohana Soprano which are my main playing ones, I still get Astrid out (my first Uke) from time to time and do wonder about seeing if I can get the buzz fixed if the bridge was lower since that's where it's coming from, but right now, she just gets played with bluetac on the offending string to stop the buzzing :D

Next is SAS, (Strings) and if you go electric, man you can get a lot of "AS"''s!!

Yeah that's the smart thing. And in my head the most practical thing. But I really look at all the variety of ukes out there and it tempts me haha.

Dude, I'm kidding:) I have had a maximum of 17 ukes but currently only own:
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre (crown Bridge type:))
KoAloha long neck soprano
KoAloha pikake concert
Ana'ole Spruce top/koa back and sides
Mainland red cedar concert
2 Makala Dolphins
I do look for ukes but when looking I am looking for good deals. I am satisfied with what I have but I do want to get another Mele mahogany or a bunch of dolphins.

Dude, I'm kidding:) I have had a maximum of 17 ukes but currently only own:
KoAloha Tenor Sceptre (crown Bridge type:))
KoAloha long neck soprano
KoAloha pikake concert
Ana'ole Spruce top/koa back and sides
Mainland red cedar concert
2 Makala Dolphins
I do look for ukes but when looking I am looking for good deals. I am satisfied with what I have but I do want to get another Mele mahogany or a bunch of dolphins.

Hahaha wow John that's impressive to say the least. :p
What I'm thinking is I'll be good with my Kamaka for a very very long time, but when the time is right, I will be getting a custom that will close up my UAS forever hopefully. Until then, I'm gonna be strumming like crazy. :)
Personally, I feel that when you purchase any instrument that is fairly expensive, you really have to live up to it which is probably why I'm practicing uke everyday more than is probably recommended haha..
It's an investment, but I don't want to put it to waste if you get that. Right now any other extra uke would just be too much. Hmm, I feel my UAS getting a little less severe.. Hallelujah I'm being cured! :p

Joe

I am in Kamaha heaven!

When I got the Kamaha, had to drive 3 hours to the only dealer in Minnesota, I gave my soprano to a friend. I am just a beginner, started lasted year in the winter, didn't go far, than started a few weeks ago.

When I heard the voice of the "voice" of the Kamaha, I was in love, uke love! I can't see myself buying another one, except for a Kamaha, say a 8 string. Does anyone have an 8 string? Do your finger hurt, more?

Jannet

Top Bottom