How to create an uke community from scratch?

marihhen

Reaction score
How to create an uke community from scratch? UPDATE!

This is my story that I want to share.
To start from beginning you might want to read THIS post I did when I first started to play ukulele.
from there to here...
As I learned, I soon realized, that I need a better uke. I looked through internet, I searched the webs of local music stores. I cold not decide, because I had never seen, with my own two little eyes, a real ukulele in my life.

I think that if you see something wrong, you should not complain about it. You should ask yourself what can you do to make it better.
So I went home and put my brain into work.
I had three problems
1. Nobody I knew played (or even knew someone else who)ukulele. Most people even didnt know what the ukulele is.
2.There is possible to order ukuleles from local stores but you cant see the ukuleles before you order. That makes it pretty hard to choose an instrument .
3. There is no information about ukulele in Est.
To improve that situation I made a little homepage to popularize ukulele, I have ordered some ukuleles
plastic, ply, solid, acoustic, electro-acoustic, even one Eleuke, recently I recived first Mainland Mangos...
My friends think I´m crazy to get into something like that. but I believe in it so strongly, can´t help myself.
So far I have sold 5ukuleles (thats 5 PEOPLE!) it might seam very little to you, but to me... I know 4 people, who are starting to play ukulele! that is great for me :)
Now Im thinking how should I go forwards. I really would like to create a community here. I have made a page in Facebook but I fear that it does not cut it, because there is so much crap in facebook. Maybe a forum? or I gather the e-mails and when time is right Ill send some e-mails. Any ideas?
I thought that when christmas is over, I start to play with my 11 y. son and his friends and maybe guide them a bit (Im such a neewbie myself but it must be better for them and me than doing it alone, right?!).
Any suggestions? what do I do now?

PS. I still play my Leolani because I cant decide what uke do I want. Mainland I think... but Im not sure. I cant let go of old.. we have so many memories together

UPDATE 3months
Time for a update!

So far I have done:

Gave my dad and little sister ukuleles for Christmas.

1.Managed to beg myself ( actually i did´nt have to beg, they where happy to take me) into local folk music group that has 2 double basses, flute, 4-6 accordions, guitar, AND NOW A UKULELE! Its been great, I am learning so much from these people. At first I tried to play really quietly so nobody could hear if I mess up, but now I am more confident. Its hard because they play from sheet music and I need a great deal of practicing but I can manage. Its great fun!

2. From the start of this month we have our very own uke club! There is 4 of us right now and I need to think if we can keep going next month because the rent is too high for me to pay alone ( I cant ask from other three in multiple reasons) maybe we just must move to our sauna. I don´t know yet. lets see. But we are definetly playing together once a week and that´s a great- great- great thing!

3. I just came back from local secondary school where I was part of a music class :) I took 6 ukuleles with me and talked a bit about the ukulele and then we played Frere Jacques together. God! the kids (4grade) where so great! they could not wait until I checked the tuning of each ukulele. They wanted to try them sooo badly :) And they played perfectly! I left one ukulele for teacher to try out ( she was exited too).

well... its not much but its a start, right?

I am very happy to have all of you supporting me. I could not do it without your faith in me. and a friendly kick every once in a while is the best!

Take care!
Thanks
Mari

UPDATE 1st year

Well hello!!!

oh yes! I am very much still spreading the love of ukulele!

So a year has passed (quite fast I must say) and its time for update!
I have had most wonderful time!
DID:
ukeclub is now about 10 headed- and that is the amount of people who come regulary.
Articles- wrote many of them, one even apparently so nice that people gave me money for it, heheee.
In summer i attended biggest folk festival- people could see and play ukes sold them there too- it was so great to see how people reacted! I did´nt sit for a moment, there was always someone who I could talk about ukuleles with. Made many people happy! Turns out, almost everyone loves ukuleles, you just need to give them a chance to get to know ukulele!
Paul Moore from Ukuleles For Peace and Juha Väänänen from FUN- brought them to a nice music festival to perform. It all ended too soon and we do it again next year. 24 hours is too little time for jamming and performing! Oh it was great!
Had couple of open uke jams in summer- mostly only my uke club came.
This Monday we had a great Ukeparty/ workshop with Juha Väänänen from Finland Ukulele Network aka. FUN. it took place in a pub and everyone could come. Mostly my uke club came. But there where people who just came and then later started to interact with us asking questions.
Oh, one guy was a bit drunk and made a comment to me about rest of us not playing as good as Juha... then he asked how long have we played.. I showed him people and told him... 3monhts, 1year, 1month, first time, 1,5years, 6 months.. that shut him up good :D carry on, good work! he was really impressed I think.
We had a strum of 16 people together on that night!
Oh and we had a short and serious talk with guy from centre of Tallinn and he is thinking of making another uke club there! so we are growing!
Juha from Finland Ukulele Network has been a great help during all this time.
My little web-shop UkuPood is growing too, its been up and running from nov. last year and we have a stock now, first orders I made was- 1MK-SN, 1MK-Dolphin red, 1.... well now I can stock more than 1 of each ukulele. Mainlands are coming today and Kala should get here this week too. So we are ready for Christmas.
Also, I made shop a bit more user friendly, so you can just click click click and buy your uke. Also the shop part of my homepage is now in English too. There is still a gigant amount of work to do in english part about translating the texts, i hope I can fix that soon.

Lets think, what else... nothing I guess. Im just so glad that when I start to talk about ukuleles, people dont think I am crazy, well they do sometimes when I get all wired up and preachy, hihiii (that happens often) but most of them have already heard about ukulele and they know what it is! And that, my friends, is freaking cool! I could not be more happy

Thank you, I couldnt of done it without your help and encouragement. This victory of uke is all ours, you can congradulate yourself! Good work universe of ukulele!
Happy holidays to all and merry ukulele!
Mari

oh, PS. there are some pictures on my facebook page about the growth of our community :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you have in your community that you could use as a gathering place...library, community center, church hall, etc. Perhaps if you find a place that would be open to giving some time and space you could advertise on boards, paper, etc. that there will be an 'ukulele club meeting for both the novice and accomplished. Have some 'ukes and learning material on hand for purchase by those that are interested and make the atmosphere relaxed. Maybe start it out with some 'ukulele music playing over some speakers, free coffee for those in attendance...just getting to know each other and sharing the love of music. You never know, you may find some interested folks and have a regular meet up in time.

Well Marihhen, you are a very ambitious young lady and certainly a poster girl for enthusiasm in learning and promoting our wonderful ukes. Kevin has give you some sound advice and should help you tremendously. I think you have hit upon a wonderful opportunity in your last statement regarding your son. No doubt you will want to cultivate a group of adults to work and play with, but getting your son involved and as many of his friends as you can will grow into something worthwhile and once you can get your school interested, no telling where your enthusiasm will carry you. Contact Music Mike http://ukulelemikelynch.com and I am sure he will help you on how to go about this. He has taught ukulele in Seattle to young folks for many years and should have some good ideas for you. He will also give you some personal advice on how to develop your own interest and playability. Good luck to you and don't get discouraged. It will all work out. and yes, in a year you will be amazed at your progress and smile at where you once were. Lozark

Maybe have jam sessions at somwhere in your local area. Maybe not a formal idea but would be good fun.

Maybe have jam sessions at somwhere in your local area. Maybe not a formal idea but would be good fun.

Yeah, if you can't find Ukulele Players to help you out, seek out some guitarists or banjo players and jam with 'em for a while. I've learned immensely from fiddling around (no pun intended) with musicians of other stringed instruments.

I bid you luck with your endeavours :D

Sounds like someone needs to open a ukulele shop in Estonia.

Sounds like someone needs to open a ukulele shop in Estonia.

Ukestonia's Music, perhaps?

Marihhen, if you can find a few nearby people who already play music casually, then they will likely be willing to offer up some advice on where and when to play. Especially stringed instrument players. Most folks who play for fun are open to playing with others looking for the same thing. It's up to you to make the first move and it sounds as though you are up to the task.

And if you need advice on which instrument best fits your need (and availability), contact Music Guy Mike. He deals with a lot of shipping issues, different brands, and newbies.

Last edited:
Aloha Marihhen,
Since christmas is around the corner, buy your friends a couple entry level ukes and create you own group....Musicians friend has a soprano uklelele for $24.99 each and should do the job!
Have fun and enjoy!! Happy strummings in Estonia!!! BTW cool Avatar girl!! WoW!! MM Stan....

Get some exposure via open mics in restaurants and coffee shops. Hand out flyers. Provide lessons. build a web hangout with info, tech stuff, forum & sales. And dont forget the youtube vids! :) Good luck with it!

Thank you!!! So many great ideas!

Kevin, I was thinking what could those places be and I just had idea, that just might work.will ask around in small pubs, if they maybe could be interested trhowing a midwinter Hawaii party :D its so cold here, that people would really like it. Now I just need to figure out how can I introduce ukuleles there. as for regular gatherings, I must do a list of public places that could fit and try to find the best for best price.
Lozark, yes! Ukulele Mike is great idea! I hope he has time for me.
ItsMrPichy and Ken- did a little research and found nearby senior stringed instruments group. I hope they take me jamming with them, shall call first thing tomorrow morning.
Salukulady and Harold O- done :) well I dont have actual shop yet but if the sales starts to go a bit better than now then I will open it. forgot to say before that I have a business (on paper, it just stood and waited its time because I waited for the perfect idea) so everything is in order. Estonia is saved :D and I got a great domain too, its www.ukulele.ee no doubt Im the first right?!
mm Stan guess what my father, little sister and my brother in law are getting for christmas :D
Georgio unfortunatly I cant do open mic. Not yet. But I can start to shake off my fear of performance with youtube video or two. maby local seniors singing group will take me under their wing aswell.
maybe I should do a flyer with my cool picture. hmm... need to think a bit.
all of those ideas.
You all have been great help. thank you so much!

You might consider getting a few of your new uke friends together, and playing at a hospital or nursing home. Maybe, if you can teach some school children to play, you could perform at a park or shopping center.
Good luck!

–Lori

I just wanted to congratulate you on spreading the Aloha of the Ukulele so well :D

Looks like you've gotten the advice you need, so just again, WELL DONE :D

I think you're off to a great start. I like the idea of setting up a weekly Hawai'i/Ukulele night at a small pub. If you have it on a weekday night, you might have better luck with the owner. Pub owners are always looking for ways to bring in business on nights that are usually slow.

You can start off the night just listening to the music of Hawai'i. Encourage the people who come to bring some Hawaiian music, too. The pub can make Hawaiian drinks, Mai Tais, Blue Hawaiians, Piña Coladas, etc. Spend this first half of your event just talking about the music and islands, and getting to know each other.

The second half of your event can be spent learning the ukulele. I would buy a few Makala dolphin ukuleles from Musicguymic on eBay. You'll want to have at least 5 extra ukuleles for the people that come but don't own one. If they like it, they can buy it from you. Bring some chord and lyric sheets for everyone. Teach them some simple stuff to start out.

Alustame küll internetipoena kuid põrsast kotis ostma ei pea – kui soovid siis helista ette, saame kokku ja vaatame pillid üle. - "Let's start though internetipoena but do not have to buy a pig in the bag - if you want to call in advance, we will meet and look over the pills."

Pig in the bag? Pills? What kind of site are you running over there? ;)

Heheh...

Edu!

Wish I could read you web site, but thought your video choices were perfect. I admire what you've done so far and believe you will definitely succeed in creating the first ukulele community in Estonia. When selling your ukes, let people know that UU is a great resource.

Last edited:
Congratulations on starting something different in your area. I am sure your enthusiasm will spread, and quickly. I have to agree with Kevin, a comfortable place to meet is important. If you choose to use a pub, once the group grows and gets established, you can alternate between two or three places and they may even do something to support the group like raffling a beginner uke or something along that line. Keep up the great work.

Aloha Mari,
You're off to a good start, good luck in your endeavours. If you need a nudge, YOU know what to do. Keep on keeping on. Spread the Aloha Spirit and the Ukulele. Maybe you could learn music on the uke from your part of the world and people may be more receptive to our humble instrument of Aloha. ...............BO.........

Well, a really good start would probably be to make posters of that picture of you in the snow with the uke and post them around town. :)

John

I cant even describe how much power I get from your support! Thanks! And those ideas, they are great!

seeso, I went and google-translated my page too and I think I was laughing for at least 30minutes.
heheee. young mother?! no word about that topic in there.
but about the bigs in the bag- there is an old sayng that you should never buy a pig in the bag- always take a look before you buy something.
And pills... jeah. that is one of words that has many meanings. in this case it means musical instrument. It also can mean cry or pills :D what a great language.

BO, there is so much great music here. I need to find the songs I can play and sing. That will be hard :D

ADD, I always tell people to come here. If the first one should become a member here, I will open a bottle of bubbly for sure!
John, Im waiting for prices for my poster.
Uncle Leroy I marked city map for future places to do uke nights
h00k00 I tryd to find Finlanf ukulele players but I could not find them, Thanks so much fot the information! It looks great. Deffinetly must go sometime!

Take care and thanks again all of you!
Mari

Last edited:
Top Bottom