Staying in tune/caring for my ukulele

roxhum

Reaction score
I do not keep my ukulele in it's case because I like to be able to grab it and play when I have five minutes to spare. I do not have a humidifer because I live in a damp climate. However lately I have had to tune it pretty much every time I pick it up where as before it stayed in tune for days. I assume this is because of winter and my house temperature over a 24 your period is anywhere between 55 and 68 degrees. I have stopped leaving my ukulele anywhere near outside walls. I assume the tuning issue is due to changes in temperature, correct? Should I worry, or do something differently? I believe my house, even though the heater is running, is still humid enough. It is drafty old house and a damp climate.
Thanks for you input.
Roxhum

I notice that I have to re-tune more when the seasons/temperature changes. I'm a big fan of room humidifiers these days. Aside from helping with your instruments, it keeps your skin from drying out. I recently bought one (Hunter is the brand name)that has a UV light that is supposed to help purify the air as well.

Seems to me the Flea should be okay living in the house, but I'd be keeping the Bushman in a case, personally.

Aloha Roxhum,
I notice on chilly days all my strings are an octave higher..just need to retune....MM Stan...

My hygrometer indicates humidity levels below 40% when the heat runs every day, like these days. This is not good, as I understand it. So I'd keep the Bushman in a case w/a hygrometer. When humidity is <40%, I,d put a humidifier in there, too.

You could do an experiment for the UU community. Keep the status quo, and let us know how the Bushman handles the stress...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ingrate, where do you live? I live along the coast where it rains a lot and never gets too too cold so the heat doesn't run but for 3 hours in the evenings and an hour in the morning. I guess I need to get a hygrometer to know the humidity level for sure.
RoxHum

Ingrate, where do you live? I live along the coast where it rains a lot and never gets too too cold so the heat doesn't run but for 3 hours in the evenings and an hour in the morning. I guess I need to get a hygrometer to know the humidity level for sure.
RoxHum

Sacramento area. I never bothered w/this issue, since the hygrometer indicates that the RH in my home stays around 50%. That is, until winter came (my first with a 'uke). In the case, the hygrometer right now says 55% (with humidifier). I left the case open while playing this morning (the heat is running often), and it fell to 35%. I don't care about my eleuke or Kamoa laminate, but worry about the KoAloha. These are the issues one gets when buying an expensive solid wood instrument, I guess. I'd prefer the simple life w/the Kamoa, but it sucks compared to the KoAloha.

I know it's dirty business, but you can buy an Oasis from Amazon. Use it for a week or two, and if the RH in your environment is in the OK range, return it. For me, it's worth $30 just to know.

..do I own the KoAloha, or does it own me?
:confused:

I notice that I have to re-tune more when the seasons/temperature changes.

Same here, everytime the air temp changes with the seasons, the strings need some adjusting. No problems, also I use a humidifier inside the case.

The Uke I play the most hangs on the wall next to my computer. It has been there about 3 years and has never been humidified. It's a $30 Koa lam with a solid top. It says
" Hawaiian Ukulele" across the front above the bridge. No cracks and sounds better than when I got it. I've owned many guitars over the years and never used a humidifier
never had a crack. The humidity here ranges from top to bottom. Does anyone else have the same experience as me? Now I have Herco humidifiers in all my cases because I have become paranoid from what I read.

Last edited:
Top Bottom