PDA

View Full Version : Win a Mainland tenor cut-away slotted headstock.

hoosierhiver
12-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Join our team on Kiva, make a loan and get a chance to win.
http://www.kiva.org/team/ukulele_players_united_to_decrease_world_suck#team BBoard

hankisanerd
12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Load made .......................

Loan Made to Mr. Uo Rorn Village Bank Group in Prey Chheu Teal Village, Cambodia

UncleElvis
12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Done and done, sah!

Donation made to Hamza Abirov, the gentleman in Tajikistan.

shrink9
12-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Just joined. Thanks for the suggestion. Will research and help in this wonderful cause.

Thanks for the suggestion.

elisdad
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Loan sent. Thanks for making me aware of Kiva.org!

wolfie
12-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks. This is a pretty cool idea. I just joined and loaned to Maria Del Carmen.

Gmoney
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Joined group & made loan to "Buena Fe 1 & 2 Group" in La Romana, Dominican Republic.

The DR is special to my family as we have spent many summers working as short term missions in La Romana, Santa Domingo, & Guyamate. The Dominican's & Haitian's hold a special place in our family's hearts.

Thanks, Mike for making us aware of Kiva.

jimx5000
12-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Really cool. I can't go to Mongolia, but my $ can go for a visit. Love it.

raecarter
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
This truly is awesome. I can't donate till the end of the month unfortunately. Hopefully this competition is still running but if it isn't i will still be donating. I didn't know this initiative even existed

mds725
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey Mike,

I joined "Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck" at Kiva when you first posted about it last year, but this thread reminded me to re-lend money I had in my Kiva account from loans I've made through UPUDWS that have been repaid. I made six new loans today and I've now made a total of 26 loans. Feels great! Thanks again for bringing Kiva to my attention!

Mark

Uncle Leroy
12-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Mike,
Loan made to a young lady name Sen in Cambodia. What a great organization!

mds725
12-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Check out these stats in the "Clubs" category on the Kiva website for Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck. UU rocks!

Rank....Statistic Name.....Time Period
#6........ New Users.......... All Time
#1........ New Users.........This Month
#4..... Amount Loaned.....This Month

brickerenator
12-06-2010, 02:01 AM
I hadn't checked Kiva in a while.

My original loan (from last years competition) is nearly paid back!

Thomas just made a loan to Chea Hoeun's Group on Kiva.org

strumsilly
12-06-2010, 03:49 AM
did it, nice way to give back.
thanks

Jnobianchi
12-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Great idea, Mike! I made two loans to Rosina and Rispher, two women dairy farmers in Kenya.

Thanks for the opportunity!

lancemanion
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
What I great contest. I loaned to Nubia Maria Amaya Ordoņez who is opening a bakery in Nicaragua. Feels great to help someone from Nicaragua, we backpacked through with the kids last year and the country was amazing. Lots of people with very little, but still very generous. Always nice to help those in need. Joined Ukulele Players United to decrease World Suck. Amazing we are number four in most donations this month, all due to your motivation. Good on ya, Simon from California

luke'nlele
12-07-2010, 06:29 AM
This is a great idea, Mike! Thanks for bringing our attention to Kiva.We just joined the Ukulele Players team and made a loan to Carmen in Peru.

Dane
12-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Ah! I just spend all but 5$ of my money on a new ukulele, which I would gladly donate but it want's 25. Well all I can do is bump the thread for the moment.

AnnaUK
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Good on you, Mike, for getting this going.

I've lent to Dou Tha's Agricultural Group in Cambodia, who wish to buy rice seeds and farming tools. Makes me realise just how much I take the supermarket for granted.

Anna :)

marymac
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Great idea Mike! I'm going to get a few of their Kiva Cards to give as gifts this year so the recipients can choose their own person to loan to. What a cool organization.

Decrease World Suck!

Kem
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
That is a truly awesome programme. I've joined your group and made a couple of loans.

olgoat52
12-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey Mike,

I joined "Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck" at Kiva when you first posted about it last year, but this thread reminded me to re-lend money I had in my Kiva account from loans I've made through UPUDWS that have been repaid. I made six new loans today and I've now made a total of 26 loans. Feels great! Thanks again for bringing Kiva to my attention!

Mark

What percentage of the loans were repaid in your experience? I guess I never thought about the ongoing effect of reloading the repaid funds. Shows you how cynical I am.. :(

olgoat52
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Great idea Mike. Heard about KIVA awhile ago on NPR and let it slip my mind. Thanks for the refresher. I'm in. Great idea.

Thanks

AetherBlue
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Wonderful idea. Joined and made a loan! Yay, for decreasing the suck of the world!

mds725
12-07-2010, 09:08 PM
What percentage of the loans were repaid in your experience? I guess I never thought about the ongoing effect of reloading the repaid funds. Shows you how cynical I am.. :(

So far, I've made 26 loans (that includes loans using funds repaid from earlier loans). Nine (9) of them are fully paid off, and another 15 are paying back. Two borrowers are still fundraising. Of the 15 borrowers who are currently paying back, 3 are delinquent but have not defaulted. Also, some loans are something called "default protected." You may be able to find Kiva-wide statistics about delinquencies and defaults on the Kiva website.

hoosierhiver
12-08-2010, 07:44 AM

You can check the statistics of each loan, most loans go thru local non-for-profit lending organisations, some charge interest, some don't, some have guarentees, some don't.

hoosierhiver
12-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Loan to a beekeeper in Mongolia! http://www.kiva.org/lend/255799

bgrif
12-10-2010, 01:16 PM
This was a great loan opportunity. Thanks for keeping this project active.

shrink9
12-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I made 10 loans and want to make more. This is an excellent idea and I am very happy to be part of it. Having started life as a very poor boy (no indoor plumbing, 6 of us living in a 4-room house (less than 900 square feet), I know what opportunity can yield. My life has been very good and I try to give to people in some fashion on a daily basis. I remember when dad wanted to buy a cow so that we would have fresh milk but didn't have enough saved to do so. I want to help these people so that they may play it forward.

Thank you for bringing this opportunity to my attention.

marymac
12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I want to help these people so that they may play it forward.

I think "play it forward" is a pretty darn good slogan for a bunch of ukulele players out to decrease world suck!

hoosierhiver
12-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Keep it up guys, over $6,600 in Kiva loans.

spazus_maximus
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Just made my loan!

Hankthetank
12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Count me in. Just made a loan. Thanks for doing this again Mike!

Mim
12-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Ok... I know we were talking about this in Tampa and how it is a good idea... but WOW... IT IS SO COOL! The problem is I want to loan to EVERYONE! I was hoping Ethiopia was on there. I would love to help out a family that is a lot like the one my kids came from! Maybe eventually. But I found the enxt best thing. I helped a Single Mom who Sews in Guiyaquil Equador, the city my cousin was born in! Very close to my heart! I admire her working so hard to support her son!

I think I might have to invest in a donation box in my store and see if I can start a rotating Mim's Ukes donation thing... take the money from the box, donate it, when it comes back, donate again... and so on, and so forth!

lancemanion
12-18-2010, 08:19 PM
So glad to be apart of this. If anyone would like more info on the history of micro-lending, I just finshed the book, "Banker to the Poor" by Nobel peace prize winner Muhammad Yunas. Yunas is the originator of micro-loans and is personally responsible for lending over six billion dollars to the poor, that all started with a $27 loan in 1976. It is a great read and seeing how one man can be responsible for changing millions of lives is inspiring. Thanks also to hoosierhiver for motivating us to get off our butts and get out there and help people. It's catchy, my wife took the kids to Mana house this morning to package food for the needy. Merry Christmas

peewee
12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
And excellent holiday timing. Made a loan to Victor Manuel Chicoma Aquino, a Peruvian photographer. My first. Thanks for the motivation to end world suck.

OldePhart
12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Pretty cool thing - can't believe I've never heard of this. Just made a loan to Maria Rosario to build up her toy store stock - figured that was appropriate this time of year!

John

RON<>VA
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Just did another Kiva loan . . .

Lourdes Elizabeth Pin Coronel in Ecuador.

Mim
12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Did you see the group stats:

In Clubs Category Rank Statistic Name Time Period
#4 New Users All Time
#1 New Users This Month
#2 Amount Loaned This Month

Pretty cool, eh?

ADD
12-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Heard about it before. Glad to be part of it now thanks to hoosierhiver. It was difficult but chose two to start: Azbaraga Eldarov in Azerbaijan, has one dairy cow, would like to buy 2 more and only 69% funded if anyone is interested in helping. The second was Antonio, one of the Santa Lucia group in manufacturing, in Paraguay now 100% funded. Yeah.

ADD
12-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Darn, I really want Azbaraga to get another cow. Just had to go back to donate again. Up to 72% funded now. Anybody want to join me?

ADD
12-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Can't help myself but tears flowing now. I don't know if any of you did it, but Azbaraga can now get his 2 additional cows. He is fully funded. 100%
So, if it was any of you, thanks. I'm so very happy.

SimplyLuo
12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Just made a loan - what an awesome idea!!
Thanks to Mike for helping us help others ^^
Jon

Gmoney
12-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Made a loan to a group of women in La Romana, Dominican Republic for a shared grocery store project. Though La Romana is a popular "resort" destination, the local population is largely destitute. Women are particularly hard pressed as there is a high % of single family homes as the fathers are many times "missing in action". I've made short term mission trips to La Romana w/my son a couple of times & have a great love for the country & its people.

I am thankful to have means to share via Kiva & to Mike (hoosierhiver) for starting this giving group.

UPDATE: Just got an email from Kiva that this project is fully funded now! Such great news!

AnnaUK
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I've just checked back and the group I lent to have now reached their target. This is brilliant news.

I'm so impressed with this idea, and impressed with Mike for offering one of his own ukes to spread the word. Ukers really do rock

:)

lancemanion
12-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Just sent a loan to the Solidario Flores De Cruz Blanca Group in Guatemala. It is a group of three women,
Felisa, Mercedes and Angela, who sell chickens. I want to thank my dad for helping me do this. -Logan Cacy

ksiegel
12-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Just loaned to Dionisio Nieto in El Salvador, and the Flores Magon Group in Zitacuaro, Estado de Michoacan, Mexico.

I find it interesting that most of the loans are fully funded.

Now I'm wondering if Heifer, International has a similar group program...

-Kurt

raecarter
01-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Is this project/raffle still running please

raecarter
01-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I made a loan its feels good this idea is amazing. I've donated to Charles Musyimi who is a farmer in Kenya

ADD
01-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Just loaned to Dionisio Nieto in El Salvador, and the Flores Magon Group in Zitacuaro, Estado de Michoacan, Mexico.

I find it interesting that most of the loans are fully funded.

Now I'm wondering if Heifer, International has a similar group program...

-Kurt

I was wondering the same thing. Would like to be part of it. There's more support when a group can do it together.

raecarter
01-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I made a loan its feels good this idea is amazing. I've donated to Charles Musyimi who is a farmer in Kenya

Charles has already got allow his funding apparently! Mike by doing this you have changed so many lives some quickly. They've all got a step on the ladder its amazing

ErnestS
01-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I am new to UU (and the uke). I was inspired to get involved in Kiva after reading this thread. What a great concept and movement!

You all are not only helping people and communities in the world, but inspiring others to get more involved. Thanks for the motivation and all the great uke tips ;)

Ernest

hoosierhiver
01-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Last week for this contest.

strumsilly
01-10-2011, 07:29 AM
LOVE UU. have learned a lot, not only about Ukes. Thanks for this hoosier. made a donation to a taxi driver in Mongolia!

Mobben
01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Just lend money to Ntungamo Bakyara Tuhirirwe Group, a group of farmers from Uganda.

What a great way to help :)

raecarter
01-17-2011, 02:13 AM
This thread has gone quiet? If you haven't loaned any money yet please do people you can help someone create a life for themselves

shrink9
01-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Just checked my Kiva account and $53 had been repaid...so, another lucky Kiva person just got a $50 contribution to his loan request. This is awesome, folks!!!

hoosierhiver
01-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Hi folks,
I left my camera at home in my uke case so I'll do the drawing tonight and post the video tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their generosity.

Gmoney
01-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi folks,
I left my camera at home in my uke case so I'll do the drawing tonight and post the video tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their generosity.

Thank, Mike, for challenging us all to participate. Looking forward to a long experience w/Kiva due to your nudging.

shrink9
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Mike, your generosity both to the Kiva community and the Ukulele community is oustanding. Thank you for encouraging us to participate in this worthwhile endeavor.

hoosierhiver
01-19-2011, 06:06 AM
And the winner is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8TOyRa8hyU

Jnobianchi
01-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Great!! Congratulations to Russel! And thanks to Mike for running a contest that doubled as a smart and effective way to help people directly~!

raecarter
01-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Congratulations Russell well.done

Mobben
01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Thank you for for a great contest and congratulation to Russell :)

elisdad
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Congrats to Russell! Awesome contest Hoosierhiver!

OldePhart
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Congrat's Russel. Thanks for a great contest Mike!

John

ksiegel
01-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Yeah- what they said!

Thanks Mike, and congrats, Russell!

-Kurt

SailQwest
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Congratulations, Russell! And kudos to Mike for being awesome!

ADD
01-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Looks like that uke is going to a good place. Congratulations, Russell. Look forward to seeing you play it on your youtube channel. Thanks to Mike for starting the Kiva uke group. Just got paid back enough on two loans to roll it over and do it again. What a great way to contribute - keeps going forward.

shrink9
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I absolutely agree with the kudos posted above. I couldn't say it better than what John in NYC put it: "Great!! Congratulations to Russel! And thanks to Mike for running a contest that doubled as a smart and effective way to help people directly~!"

russ_buss
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks everybody and thanks to Mike and Tookta at Mainland ukes for their awesome generosity and for spreading the word about the Kiva website. Since I already have enough ukes (seriously), I told Mike to hold onto the prize and we'll do the raffle drawing again at a later time. So let's keep this thing going for another round.

second chance raffle here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWD2hZOcQc

peewee
01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
What a display of selfless righteousness!
First HH raffles off a uke to encourage people (myself among them) to initiate a Kiva loan, then Russ turns down the prize in order to benefit a different lender. I am impressed.
(And for the record I do have room for just one more uke...)

hoosierhiver
01-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Nice little video about Kiva.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVAPscrGsI&feature=feedf

wolfie
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Well done Sir.

raecarter
02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Superb well done guys

Jnobianchi
02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Yeah! Well done, indeed!

russ_buss
02-07-2011, 11:21 AM
just a bump.

this contest is still going if anyone is interested in winning that Mainland tenor uke. all you need to do is make one loan (or more if you like) under the "Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck" team and you are entered to win.

link here:
http://www.kiva.org/team/ukulele_players_united_to_decrease_world_suck

raffle drawing will happen when the number of team loans has reached 450.

good luck all!

Pueo
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I just got an email that says there will be a webcast with the president of Kiva.org, in case anyone is interested...
http://metacast.deusm.com/link.asp?m=68023&s=7973952&l=0

We hope you can join us on Thursday, February 24, for an IE Radio interview with Premal Shah, President of Kiva.org. We will go live with Shah on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. ET.

Tune in here. (http://metacast.deusm.com/link.asp?m=68023&s=7973952&l=0)

Kiva is a non-profit organization that allows people to use the Internet to microfinance institutions in developing countries and in the United States. We'll talk to Shah about the state of microfinance and what organizations need to do to harness the power of the Internet and engage people in philanthropy.

We’ll be taking questions from listeners as well. Join us on the youChat message board running in parallel to the radio show where you can post questions and comments for Shah. We’ll pose some of your inquiries on the air, and you can talk with Shah directly when he joins the chat board after the audio interview concludes.

We are looking forward to Thursday’s show and hope you can tune in.

ADD
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
just a bump.

this contest is still going if anyone is interested in winning that Mainland tenor uke. all you need to do is make one loan (or more if you like) under the "Ukulele Players United to Decrease World Suck" team and you are entered to win.

link here:
http://www.kiva.org/team/ukulele_players_united_to_decrease_world_suck

raffle drawing will happen when the number of team loans has reached 450.

good luck all!

Just wanted to share the good news that I was paid back enough to make another loan and how excited I was to find out later that Victoria in Peru is now fully funded. Don't need another ukulele to feel the kind of joy this brings.

Thanks to hoosiehiver and russ_buss for adding an additional incentive to try this as a way to "decrease world suck". Hope more members will join and that we will soar past that 450 mark.

Gmoney
02-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Love the opportunity to give. I originally made two loans & one was paid back enough to re-loan, so added a bit for Kiva.org itself & re-loaned to another group in the Dominican Republic. Keep it going, UU'ers! Our Kiva ohana is doing some good work!

ADDED to above post:

Just got an email about the particulars of the group receiving & managing the loans to the DR & a link to a blog post from a Kiva "fellow" recounting his visit to the DR. Great additional insight into how Kiva goes about working in & with nationals in the receiving country.

http://fellowsblog.kiva.org/2010/11/15/great-expectations-unexpected-revelations/

Mahalo!

hoosierhiver
03-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Stoking the fire with some weekly give-aways. Thanks to Doug for donating the Harmony Ukes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FirCaUOdUiI

Doctroid
03-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Mike, just to clarify, is everyone in team UPUtDWS entered on these give-aways, or do they have to make new loans?

bbycrts
03-11-2011, 06:35 AM
New loan made to a textile artist in Peru - I wish I could go visit her shop!

hoosierhiver
03-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Mike, just to clarify, is everyone in team UPUtDWS entered on these give-aways, or do they have to make new loans?

Everyone with an active loan is entered.

Tack
03-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Just one question .... WHY the heck did I NOT know of Kiva! I have heard a lot about micro-financing over the last few years but not this option.

Mike - by raising so many peoples awareness so selflessly, I hope you earn a lot of positive karma! Thank you. :worship:

Loan to Sra. Santusa in Peru who wants to pay her kids school fees!

You know - this could become habit forming..... GO TEAM UPUtdWS :shaka:

PS - took about 30 minutes for Sra. Santusa's loan to reach fully funded..... There are a LOT of people out there wanting to help :D Makes one feel less cynical about the human race....

brucemoffatt
03-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Can't believe I missed this up to now. Joined, made my first small loan. Very happy :) Go ukers.

Loaned to Ludmila in Ukraine for seeds etc. My wife's father is from The Ukraine. His stories of hardship made this loan so easy to decide. Go Ludmila, grow those veggies :)

mds725
03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Just made my 36th and 37th loans. Thanks again, Mike, from bringing Kiva to the UU community.

hoosierhiver
03-21-2011, 07:36 AM
This weeks winners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhjOwUAfw44

hoosierhiver
04-01-2011, 08:11 AM
This week's winners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMOsR_LcDMk

russ_buss
04-22-2011, 06:10 AM
getting close, only 22 more loans until there is a 2nd chance drawing for the Mainland slotted headstock tenor. git r' done people!

Dotted
04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd heard of Kiva but never really checked it out. Made a loan to a grocery store in Mongolia!

elisdad
04-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Let's keep this going. First loan repaid and new loan made to lemon farmer in Peru.

mix76
05-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Awesome way to promote a great cause. Made my first loan today!

MiaRosie
05-09-2011, 07:29 AM
just made a loan to Svay on Kiva.org - here's hoping she gets her motorbike soon !

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks for letting us know about this great organization! Another loan to Decrease World Suck!!
-Ralf

hoosierhiver
05-10-2011, 07:59 AM
455 loans!
#1 in new members this month,
#4 in most new members of all time,
$12,050.00 in loans!
About time to draw for that tenor, we'll give folks a few more days before the give-away.
Way to go team!

raecarter
05-17-2011, 10:55 PM
455 loans!
#1 in new members this month,
#4 in most new members of all time,
$12,050.00 in loans!
About time to draw for that tenor, we'll give folks a few more days before the give-away.
Way to go team!

You must feel very proud to have achieved this mike. When I did this competition my parents were very cynical till I recently showed that the money was infact being paid back! Brilliant ways to help once it's all back I'll do another loan with the returned money

hoosierhiver
05-18-2011, 05:34 AM
It really gives me a good feeling to see everyone's generosity. I get a kick out of seeing the small repayments of a dollar or two at a time from the loanees, makes me think they are doing well with their enterprise.

MiaRosie
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
lady I loaned to had the full amount a day or so later, looking forward to seeing how she does. Very satisfying all around.

byjimini
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
I just signed up and lent $25 to Flor Violeta for printing in Peru. :)

TCK
05-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Greatest post EVER...best idea for EVER...most awesome return EVER.
Well done Mike- well done.

acbot
05-22-2011, 04:33 AM
This was a very good idea - thanks

hoosierhiver
05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
and the winner is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmXtCzbIIM

OldePhart
05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Congrats to the winners!

Wow, over 12k loaned, that's pretty awesome!

shrink9
06-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Just made my 19th loan. Many thanks for Hoosierhiver for turning me onto this. I have had several loans fully repaid and reinvested. This is what we should all be doing!!!

marymac
06-18-2011, 08:40 PM
I made 2 loans to start with and I had enough paid back on those loans to make another loan today. Then I got inspired and made 4 more. I love this organization! Thanks Mike - Mary