I think I have the Bug

hankisanerd

Reaction score
I have had my ukulele for about a month now. I am making big gains in learning, and really understanding the instrument.

Now I want to buy another one....... I have been looking at MGM, been making a weekly trip to the local music shop. Also, been lurking in the Uke Marketplace. Can I be helped or just give in?

Just my opinion:
The longer you wait, the more you'll know what you want from your next 'uke.
Buyer's remorse really sucks.

I have had my ukulele for about a month now. I am making big gains in learning, and really understanding the instrument.

Now I want to buy another one....... I have been looking at MGM, been making a weekly trip to the local music shop. Also, been lurking in the Uke Marketplace. Can I be helped or just give in?

You held out for a month?! Superhuman strength you got there. I had four ukes by the time a month was up! Slowed way down now that I've tried a bunch though.

My advice - having gone through this recently - is this: if you don't fall in love with it in the music store - don't buy it. You'll just have to sell it later. If you love it and wish you could hold it and play it every day - buy it. Then take it home and play it to death.

I agree. I would wait, learn more, and enjoy the one ya got now. The more you learn, the more you learn what you really want and like. Give it a year, do your research, and in the meantime, save your dollars for your dream uke that will be determined by you as you grow.

Give it a year, do your research, and in the meantime, save your dollars for your dream uke that will be determined by you as you grow.

Oh Tudorp - a year?! I don't know about Hank but I would NEVER be able to hold out that long! I would just wait until I found one that I really, really wanted to play then buy that.

Hi hankisanerd
I am afraid you are one of us, but the good news is that you are not alone. I was ready for my second uke after two weeks, so you are stronger than I was. Take your time trying out the different sizes and types at the music store. If you can, get a nice ukulele within your budget. I ended up with an assortment of sizes and wood types, and I like them all for different reasons. It is a lot of fun. I wish I had more room for ukes, so that limits me a bit. I suppose if I had a house instead of an apartment, I would have the room, but no money for ukes!
–Lori

I have another idea for you Hankisanerd - I'm not sure where you live but if there is a ukulele club near you go to one of their jams. It doesn't matter if you are a beginner, in fact that might be an asset for this. Ask people about their ukes and they will tell you all about them and virtually all will let you play them. Nothing warms a uker's heart more than someone admiring their uke! This way you can actually hold and play some of those ukes you are looking at on MGM without shelling out for each one. You will quickly find that some of them really don't move you like you thought, but some will set your heart on fire.

Going somewhere you can try out a variety of ukes (and I mean more variety than Guitar Center/Sam Ash etc) will save you thousands of dollars in the long run.

It's not a bug, it's a syndrome.

Hmmm, I wonder if my health insurance covers UAS - it is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, right? And, if the only cure is purchasing another uke, then my insurance should pay for my next uke, right?

John

Aloha hankisanerd, yap you got. Don't even try to get rid of it!

Oh man I feel you... I just caught UAS, but the good old UUers here are very supportive of our illness as we are all afflicted. :)
Try saving for your dream uke for now, and during this wait you'll actually decide if you want it or not seeing how your "uking" progresses.
This is what I'm doing at least. Keeps you inspired, because darnit you know we all really want that custom uke. :p
Keep strumming Brah! And don't make any hasty purchases just yet. Time will bring the right one.

Joe

Aloha Hank,
When I started up again, my first month I had a new uke..I wish I had better thought things out....my entry level uke I still play daily today and prefer it better than my most expensive ukes..go figure that one out...Save you money and get the best uke comfortable in your price range.. that way you'll save alot on the upgrades and You''ll probally learn faster get less fustrated and sound better...besides it's looks, it will
play better and be more comfortable...and you won't have alot of cheap ukes around that sound alike...which you will have a hard time parting with because of sentimental reasons...Have fun and Enjoy....I guess
to prolong your intrest in your first uke and make it sound better, put some premimum strings on and it will improve it a little until you get your upgrade..Happy Strummings!! MM Stan

Yep. You have it. It only gets worse, but it's ok. At least you don't have the bug for something REALLY expensive. Imagine if you just HAD to have a '59 Gibson Les Paul.

I was complaining about my severe case of GAS to a friend one time when he looked at me and said, "I play piano, do you know how many pianos I have?"

He wasn't kidding either, his house looked like a piano store...

John

Hmmm, I wonder if my health insurance covers UAS - it is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder, right? And, if the only cure is purchasing another uke, then my insurance should pay for my next uke, right?

John
That would make your ukuleles a "Medical device", welcome as an extra carry on on all airlines!

Yep. You have it. It only gets worse, but it's ok. At least you don't have the bug for something REALLY expensive. Imagine if you just HAD to have a '59 Gibson Les Paul.

Don't even say Les Paul near my husband. He has a desperate need for a blue Les Paul... those are really expensive.
–Lori

Hi Hankisanerd - I had another thought about this since it came up in a couple threads over the weekend. In order to help me stop myself from spending time poring over the ads for new ukes in the UU Marketplace, eBay etc I intentionally started spending time in the other sections of the forum (Uke Talk, General Discussion, Luthier's Lounge etc). This has helped a LOT with the obsession part of uke acquisition, plus I'm learning a lot more than when I'm just shopping.

Aloha Hank,
When I started up again, my first month I had a new uke..I wish I had better thought things out....my entry level uke I still play daily today and prefer it better than my most expensive ukes..go figure that one out... MM Stan
I know what you mean. I have ten ukuleles , 2 Martins, a Kiwaya et al, but the one I play the most is the first one I bought.It is a Hawaiian Souvenir Uke I bought on Ebay.
It's made of Koa laminate with a solid koa top. About 30 bucks. Sounds great.

Top Bottom