PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Uke

Boozelele
07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I drive a VW bus, and I'm thinking about building a "holster" next to the drivers seat to hold a uke that I can pull out and play at traffic lights, road construction, etc. What I need is a really cheap uke, that will live in my bus. I'm thinking concert size... It also has to be playable though. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

tad
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I drive a VW bus, and I'm thinking about building a "holster" next to the drivers seat to hold a uke that I can pull out and play at traffic lights, road construction, etc. What I need is a really cheap uke, that will live in my bus. I'm thinking concert size... It also has to be playable though. Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Wood doesn't love heat. Neither does wood glue.

I'd go with a TV Pal. Gugug makes 'em sound pretty awesome...

tad
07-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Another option might be a Dixie banjolele-- all metal construction.

Either way, fifties ukes seem like a logical choice.

Then you should learn to play "Stickshifts and Safetybelts."

russ_buss
07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
hey booze, i actually keep a cheapie harmonica in my car. perfect for traffic stops AND during driving. i wonder if the new cell phone law in california prohibits harp playing. only one way to find out.:)

Boozelele
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
We dont have the cell phone ban yet. Washington just started it though...I think we are a ways off on the Ukulele-playing-while-driving ban. hopefully....

so wood is no good? even one of those painted Mahalos? or a Nato Lanikai? Or maybe a Rogue? or....????

VengefulTikiGod
07-02-2008, 10:54 PM

That idea is all kinds of awesome. :D Hmm I dunno, how bad could the damage be if you just put in a cheap uke, wood or otherwise? A Lanikai should be fine, from my experience with the soprano they have very good playability.

Kaneohe til the end
07-02-2008, 10:56 PM
go with one of gutings $30 rouges

h-drix
07-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Another option might be a Dixie banjolele-- all metal construction.

if it gets hot then he might not be able to pick it up, lol. I know its not cheap(or a concert), but how about a flea

KyleYankan
07-03-2008, 03:42 AM
You reminded me of my first ride home, with a ukulele. I had tried learning the Baritone ukulele for the previous 3 days, not realizing.... that you know... it's tuned completely different. I went to grab a soprano, and it rode shotgun all the way home. Every red light I hit...... *grabs ukulele and plays*

What I do now is just keep a burnt CD of all the songs I'm learning in the CD player. Now I get to enjoy the songs I like, and hear how they actually sound instead of how badly I play them :-P