Mi Si Install Help!

lambchop

Reaction score
Got a Mi Si for a gift - put it in (i documented it and will put it on my blog at a later date). Due to a previous install, the hole in the bridge for the pickup, which is angled properly, is under the High G string. It works fine, I really love it, but when I play the A string, which is over the part near the end of the pickup (but not exactly over the end, as I ran the end all the way to the edge of the bridge, under the saddle) I get a loud thunk - the thing is so balanced otherwise, this is really annoying and kind of a shame,as I am almost always using that string in chords - anyway, what did I do wrong or what can I do to fix this? Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Kind of fixed the problem - I took off the saddle, moved the pickup a little but further out (now there is about a 1/4 inch sticking off the end of the bridge slot) and the problem is gone - as long as I don't hit the exposed pickup (and there is not much chance of me doing that as I don't pick down at the bridge) I think it should be okay - anything wrong with the piezo strip being exposed like that? Can they be cut or trimmed? Thanks

I've heard that cutting is not a good idea.

I think most people drill a second hole and feed the pickup back into the body.

At least that's what I've read on here.

Yes, (thanks Mokai) the very end of the UST is not as active as the rest of it. I took one apart one time to find out what was going on with these. It turns out that the very end on the UST is just smashed braided shield. The actual element strip begins about 1/4" or so back from the end. Depending upon how wide your saddle slot is, you may have to feed the end back through a second hole, as suggested.

Yes, (thanks Mokai) the very end of the UST is not as active as the rest of it. I took one apart one time to find out what was going on with these. It turns out that the very end on the UST is just smashed braided shield. The actual element strip begins about 1/4" or so back from the end. Depending upon how wide your saddle slot is, you may have to feed the end back through a second hole, as suggested.

on SOME misi the end is not as active, the end of mine is perfect.

Thanks for the help - by the way, getting that threaded into the hole was horrible - I just lucked into hitting it right one of a million tried - tried taping it to a string and the tape was too thick to get through. LR Baggs, who makes the pickups, should put a detachable five or six inch thin wire on the end so threading will be easier. Anyway, it's on and I love it so it was worth the problems.

here is Chuck Moore's fix to your problem

quoted from an older thread

problem is, seemed my end was over active - it was like thunking every time I played the A string. Either way, thanks for the suggestion. Mike

Thanks for the help - by the way, getting that threaded into the hole was horrible - I just lucked into hitting it right one of a million tried - tried taping it to a string and the tape was too thick to get through. LR Baggs, who makes the pickups, should put a detachable five or six inch thin wire on the end so threading will be easier. Anyway, it's on and I love it so it was worth the problems.

Yeah but the guys who do it a lot have it down. It's like tying your shoes.

Top Bottom