PDA

View Full Version : Update on Turtle's Cigar Box Uke

Turtle
12-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, I'm making progress. It's definitely been a great learning experience so far which is mostly what I wanted.

The neck ended up a bit thinner than I think is ideal, but the fretboard will add reinforcement and I think it will be ok. As previously noted, the cigar box I fell in love with ended up being mostly faux wood on top of cardboard so I found a good box at hobby lobby and with the use of a scanner and photoshop have been re-creating the look of the original cigar box.

I had bought some veneer for the headstock but ended up deciding to create a headstock that was more in keeping with the cigar box theme. I actually am pretty pleased with how it's coming out. I think once the lacquer is on it will look great. I was a bit nervous that the lacquer would cause the ink to run in the artwork but my tests have all come out well.

The soundhole is a bit larger than I originally intended but I think within an acceptable limit. (Thank you to all the expert advice I received regarding soundhole size). My success at getting a rosette out of the veneer I bought left me having to enlarge the soundhole to eliminate the mistake. Lesson, practice, practice, practice on scrap.

I've got the linings in for the top and head and tail blocks. I have just a wee bit more sanding before I'm ready to attach the neck. I will be using an insert to do that.

More to come soon.

Cheers,

Turtle!

Kalihonu
12-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Aloha Paula, sounds like your making great progress congratulations. Pictures look really cool. Thanks for sharing & happy holidays!

ADD
12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
That's going to be one cool CBU! What did you use for the neck?

Turtle
12-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the encouragement. The neck is made of mahogany. Once a quarter, our neighborhood has a large trash pick up day. People haul all their junk out to the curb to be picked up. It has morphed into a huge community recycling where everyone cruises looking for other people's cast off junk that might be hidden treasure. Scraps of wood are a common thing and I often get great pieces of good plywood etc. In the last one someone down the street was getting rid of a huge pile of unwanted wood. I got some great pieces of mahogany and walnut. This is from one of those pieces.

Cheers,

Turtle

ADD
12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
It's exciting for find wood that can be recycled. Congrats on your putting it to such good use. I'm thinking of taking apart 2 large solid wooden benches with damaged backs that I got at a garage sale. Not sure what the wood is yet, 3 coats of paint, much flaking, may be some old varnish underneath, but it's at least 40-50 years old. Then maybe I'll use the solid wood cigar boxes to try my hand at a build.

erich@muttcrew.net
12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
.....Once a quarter, our neighborhood has a large trash pick up day. People haul all their junk out to the curb to be picked up. It has morphed into a huge community recycling where everyone cruises looking for other people's cast off junk that might be hidden treasure.......

They used to have that here in Hamburg. Unfortunately they've now discontinued it for some reason and now people have to call and arrange a date for the city to come by and pick stuff up, so nothing is ever on the sidewalk for very long. There are actually junk dealers that follow the trucks around in their cars in order to try and intercept an occasional treasure. :D