Is it just MY uke, or...

Papa Tom

Reaction score
does your uke sound dry and lifeless in the colder weather?

I am in New York and winter pretty much set in today. For the past week or so, all my ukes sound horrible, generating very little inspiration to pick them up and play. I assume it's the change in weather, 'cuz they were really singing a few weeks ago.

Even a new concert uke and mandolin my brother left for me to play are just dead-sounding.

Anybody else experiencing the same? If so, what are we gonna do about it?:(

Sounds like a good excuse to buy some new ones! Then you can have winter-ukes and summer-ukes. ;)

The weather here in NY is getting cold... I have heard of others saying the same thing, I haven't noticed much change in mine..

I like that excuse to get a new uke!

I suspect you are dealing with humidity changes. In winter the indoor air gets very dry. If you have solid wood instruments, you need to know what the rH is and humidify accordingly.

Brad

Mine is not staying in tune as well in the colder weather it still sounds as pretty as ever.

Roxhum

I haven't noticed any major changes, they go out of tune quicker, but still, it's been cold so its to be expected...

I switched from wound strings (which have less treble and more mids) back to Aquila's (more treble) 2 weeks ago, sounds brighter than ever.

Try humidifying. Or new strings.

:shrug:

I've notice in cooler weather my stings tend to be an octave higher....I just retune them and they are fine...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Papa Tom... thanks for bringing up the topic. I was just telling my wife last night that, with the first really cold weather pouring into town... my ukes just seem to have lost their ZING! Gotta be the humidity thing. My indoor humidity went from 40% to about 20% in 24 hours! Of course, I must admit... when I get cold my voice gets squeaky too! My travel uke keeps screaming, "Take me to Hawaii!"

Could be too dry, now that the heat is running inside the house. Put a humidifier in the case and check the tuning as with the big change in the temps, the strings will go out of tune very easily.

Even though the idea of "colder weather" is pretty laughable here in Southern California, I've noticed that my Kamaka soprano sounds very dull and lifeless on rainy winter days. Haven't noticed it with my other ukes, but I know better than to pick that one up if it's raining!

Top Bottom