All Solid Tenor

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a couple of Tenors already, a Fluke and a Flea. I am ready to purchase an all solid wood traditional style uke. I don't have alot to spend but I would like to purchase an instrument that will serve me for years to come. I have seen some Mele models I found interesting that are within my range. Does anyone have any suggestions that are all solid less than $600.00. If you make a suggestion could you please tell me why you feel they are good? Thanks for your help.:eek:

Hey all,
I have a couple of Tenors already, a Fluke and a Flea. I am ready to purchase an all solid wood traditional style uke. I don't have alot to spend but I would like to purchase an instrument that will serve me for years to come. I have seen some Mele models I found interesting that are within my range. Does anyone have any suggestions that are all solid less than $600.00. If you make a suggestion could you please tell me why you feel they are good? Thanks for your help.:eek:

I love Mele and I fully recommend them over any other import. Another option in your price range is the Pono and Big Island ukes as well. Loprinzi is a very finely crafted made in USA uke that I want to own one day as well as Keli'i.
Your mainland which is a very decent uke as well that is well with-in your price range.

I always ask, are you wanting a machine made solid wood uke or a hand made solid wood uke?
What kind of wood are you wanting to own?
Another option that many people don't consider is getting a mahogany back/sides and koa top.

So to summarize my post that really doesn't make sense b/c I am rushing. My choice for solid wood tenors inside your price range:
1. Mele
2. Loprinzi
3. Keli'i
4. Big Island
5. Pono
6. Mainland
7. Ohana

Now my list is my preference. I just prefer handmade over machine made. I ahve played each of these ukes and have owned Mele, Pono, mainland, and Ohana ukes. It really comes down to are you wanting to stay near the top of your budget or near the bottow of your budget?

To add to Haolejohn post.

You might be able to score a used Tenor or a second from one of the Hawaiian companies. This might take some patience but you would probably get a nice instrument.

Mele is a very nice uke and all solid! They are in your price range as well.

Mainland ukes, ohana tk-35g, kala acacia tenor, I've heard some of the kala solid spruce are nice, also some of the solid wood kamoas are supposed to be nice. I think music guy mic is selling a kelii solid koa right now for under 500, that might be interesting, sounded good in the clip. Also there is a big following for koa pili kokos which are acacia, but I don't know anything about them.

Top Bottom