Current influx of Kalas in the UU Marketplace

My first uke (in March) was a Kala tenor. Having decided that concert is the size for me, I sold it and got the Fluke as my everyday beater/ travel uke.
I would have kept the Kala if it was a concert uke, it played and sounded great.

I recently bought a Kala concert for my wife off the UU Marketplace.

So maybe there is also an influx of Kala purchases in the UU Marketplace.

John

I recently bought a Kala concert for my wife off the UU Marketplace.

So maybe there is also an influx of Kala purchases in the UU Marketplace.

John

That is a good way to look at it. kalas are nice but I just can't get myself to buy one other than the dolphins.

My first Uke was a "Limited Edition" Kala Concert... now sold in the Marketplace. My second uke was a Kala Concert travel ... now sold through the Marketplace. I then bought a couple of Makala Dolphins quickly followed by a KoAloha Soprano (which quickly ended my Kala love). I did buy a Mele pineapple concert (sold) & a couple of Mainland tenors (sold one!).

For me it is/was all about getting to know what I really liked & what suited me best. So, with the KoAloha Super Concert being delivered sometime today, I may find that the rest of my current stock is superflous & start selling a few more.

The Kala was a great first uke - solid cedar top & lots of bling. Same w/the spruce top travel uke... And, I now have bought 5 Makala Dolphins (3 of which are going as Xmas presents).

I then bought a couple of Makala Dolphins quickly followed by a KoAloha Soprano (which quickly ended my Kala love).

Ignorance is bliss? My KoAloha soprano has relegated my other 'ukes to the closet. I was quite happy w/my inexpensive soprano before I got the KoAloha. I've decided not to play any other 'ukes anymore. I can't afford it, and ignorance is bliss.

Curiously, even though I absolutely love my KoAloha concert my cheap LU-21 concert gets almost as much play time now that I've set it up - mostly because it's sitting on a shelf behind me so if I want to take a break for a few minutes and do a little pickin' and grinnin' I can just turn around and grab it. The KoAloha I have to get out of the case, and if the phone rings I have to find a safe place to set it down, etc. The LU-21 can't hold a match, let alone a candle, to the KoAloha but if it gets dinged up it's no big deal.

John

He doesn't seem to be having a problem with his..

little bastard.... :)

Seems to me the used ones that have been for sale aren't being sold for real cheap so they seem to hold resale value anyway. I just think folks like me buy them because (IMO) they are a good affordable beginner to mid range instrument. Then they decide to move up to a higher end instrument. I see Kala as the "Peavey" of ukuleles. Good solid workingman's (or woman's) instrument.
btw I play Peavey basses, so that's a compliment.

I just think folks like me buy them because (IMO) they are a good affordable beginner to mid range instrument. I see Kala as the "Peavey" of ukuleles. Good solid instrument.

Yes, indeed. I would definitely recommend them for that reason.

Seems to me the used ones that have been for sale aren't being sold for real cheap so they seem to hold resale value anyway. ... I see Kala as the "Peavey" of ukuleles. Good solid workingman's (or woman's) instrument.
btw I play Peavey basses, so that's a compliment.

I like that "Peavey" comment - so true - my first Peavey amp was called the Chevy Impala of amps for the same reason!

Though I think we don't really know the final agreed upon price from this marketplace.

I think they go for sale because they are used as stepping stones - attainable but not always the final destination. That's a good thing, for everybody else on the path!

these things always seem to go in waves. Not that long ago I distinctly remember there being at least four Kamakas that showed up in the uke marketplace, all within a month of each other. I blame the aliens.

He doesn't seem to be having a problem with his..

little bastard.... :)

There are two things I absolutely hate about Guitar Center. The first is that inevitably, and completely irrespective of the time of day or whether a school day or not, there are fifty million snot-nosed little brats playing as loudly as possible with as much solid-state unmusical distortion as they can possibly manage.

The second is that half of them play better than I do... LOL

John

these things always seem to go in waves. Not that long ago I distinctly remember there being at least four Kamakas that showed up in the uke marketplace, all within a month of each other. I blame the aliens.

Yep. They seem to go in waves. I'm waiting for the next Koaloha wave.

...but I do love those acacias...

I kind of put Kalas on the same plain as Lanikais. Both are great for beginners and some are great for mid ranged players. I'm looking at purchasing my 3rd/5th ukulele, and the only two I thought about were Lanikais and Kalas!

Here's my theory..

Kala is perhaps one of the most popular ukuleles owned by members of UU.
There are many Kalas out there.

People sell ukes every now and again for different reasons.

There just happens to be more Kalas out there in peoples' possessions compared to other brands.
So therefore it's not so much more people are selling Kalas for a certain reason necessarily related to the properties of Kala ukes (such as 'they're plain' or 'people are upgrading')
Perhaps there simply are more Kalas than other brands in general, so naturally, we see more of them.

And it's nearing 'that time of year'. Perhaps people are shopping now for new ukes, and are selling more ukes than normal :)

Last edited:
Here's my theory..

Kala is perhaps one of the most popular ukuleles owned by members of UU.
There are many Kalas out there.

People sell ukes every now and again for different reasons.

There just happens to be more Kalas out there in peoples' possessions compared to other brands.
So therefore it's not so much more people are selling Kalas for a certain reason necessarily related to the properties of Kala ukes (such as 'they're plain' or 'people are upgrading')
Perhaps there simply are more Kalas than other brands in general, so naturally, we see more of them.

I think you nailed it.

I bought a Kala cedar-top concert just a few weeks ago, and love it. Perfect for this newbie.

Top Bottom