Lunch-break Uke'in

mendel

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I wanted to share. I was outside on my lunch messing around on my Uke. I was playing (poorly) Tears in Heaven, and the old standby, Stairway to Heaven. It is beautiful and cool here in South Florida right now, so I was enjoying the sunny day and the breeze.

A secretary that I rarely speak to happened to walk out and heard me playing. She started to cry. I thought it was because I was so bad so I stopped and apologized to her. I tried to explain that I have only been playing for a few months, and that it will get better.

She laughed and said it was beautiful. Her grandmother used to play for her when she was a little girl. She said that the sound of the instrument reminded her of her grandmother and the memories made her happy. She gave me a hug and then went back inside.

I guess that is the kind of thing that people are talking about on the UU when they talk about a "Uke Moment". It was a great feeling, and I wanted to share it with you guys. Have a happy day, and remember- take the time to play.

Mendel

What a nice story and another nice gift from the ukulele! Thanks for sharing!

The only part of that story I didn't like was the fact that your in south Florida enjoying a beautiful day. It's snowy and freezing here.

Good story again though. It's cool to hear she enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing. I love Uke Moments. That should be a whole tread thingy, yeah?
DAP

Thank you for sharing!! that is really sweet story. I imagine your scared face when you thought she did not like your music :D Actually I think that would be my first guess too!
Keep finding those moments people!

PS. so you just went outside?! no hat, no boots, no sweater, no jaket, no gloves?!

Aloha Mendel,
Great story. Encountered the similar situation when I was about 15 yrs. old. My friends and I were kicking it on the sand after a bout of body surfing at the Wall in Waikiki. We were playing our ukes and singing. Not much Hawaiian stuff, except for a few standards; Beyond the Reef, Leimomi, Mapuana, Sweet Someone, etc. Anyway, we were doing songs that were on the Pop radio stations at the time(KPOI, KORL) and some oldies from the 40s and 50s. An elderly tourist Lady asked if we knew "I'll Be Seeing You" from the 40s. Fortunately, I knew it as it's one of my favorites. I sang it for her and she started crying as it was her and her husbands anthem. She went on to say her husband served on a bomber during WWII, and was shot down and killed over Europe. Everyone there had tears in ther eyes, especially me. I stood up and gave her a hug of Aloha and my thanks to her and her husband for their sacrafice for our country. Till this day, whenever I hear or sing that song, I think of that lady.

What a great story!

It sometimes amazes me how powerful music can be. For this lady, the music brought her back to another time and reminded her of her grandmother.

I think it's a good reminder of all of us not be too closefisted with our ukes. Meaning, we shouldn't be afraid of playing settings where others might hear us. Music has the power to move and change people, even if we're not "masters" of the instrument.

Aloha All,
That some really nice stories...enjoyed them all!!Thanks for sharing....Keep um coming....Happy Strummings!!!! MM Stan

great stories guys. Awesome. What a beautiful instrument the humble uke is.

moral: don't hid your light under a bushel, let it shine :)

Thanks for sharing that story Mendel!! That's so awesome and inspiring!!

Oh and is that your little man in the avatar? He's adorable!!!

Thank you for sharing!! that is really sweet story. I imagine your scared face when you thought she did not like your music :D Actually I think that would be my first guess too!
Keep finding those moments people!

PS. so you just went outside?! no hat, no boots, no sweater, no jaket, no gloves?!

Your PS made me laugh being as you are standing in the snow in a grass skirt! :)

That is my little man in the picture. Thanks, FitnCrafty!!! I am loving all these stories!!

fitncrafty heheheee. yes. but im sure, I will not do that any time soon!
but if any of you should get out in the snow without your coat be sure to take off your shoes too. you just wont notice that your upper body is freezing when you stand barefoot in the snow ;)

mendal, your little man IS so cool :)

but if any of you should get out in the snow without your coat be sure to take off your shoes too. you just wont notice that your upper body is freezing when you stand barefoot in the snow ;)

Marihhen... I will be sure to do that.. I promise I wont be wearing a grass skirt, but out of curiosity I will probably do that, the snow is coming here in NY very soon!!

Mendel.. I love babies, they are my favorite. I had three of them... I would have had more but they grow up and talk back... ;)

Just curious, marihhen, but how long did it take to get that beautiful and incredible shot of you in the snow? Who took the picture? And if you decide to sell reprints, I'd love one - it is so cool, I mean cold, burrr...

Last edited:
... I love babies, they are my favorite. I had three of them... I would have had more but they grow up and talk back... ;)
It's a good thing our children are born as adorable little infants - if they were born as teenagers we'd kill them and eat them before their first birthday! LOL

John

Not sure about eating him.... BUT- I do like to gobble his belly after bath time!!! He is the best part of my whole world. Funny thing- when he starts getting kranky and nudgie, I play Iz Kamakawiwo'ole for him. He loves it! He smiles, then falls asleep on my shoulder.

ADD it took first 5 minutes max and second time maybe 3 minutes minutes. first I had no shoes and when we came back inside I was not happy with my short fat legs. so we had to go again, second time was harder. Funny was that i choose late hour that people would not see me. And first thing we saw, when we walked out was a neighbor with a big smile on her face :D photo was taken... I am not sure how to call him. lets say boyfriend. That was actually cool too when I told him that I needed a little help with a photo, he was not very happy because it was late and he was tired. Somehow his attitude changed when I started dressing up (down) for it.

Mendel, you got a good start then. When I started Paul was old enough to understand that ukulele is taking too much of mothers attention :D so he gets mad when I start to play uke. even if I play something that comes out ok. I´m not even allowed to hold it. So I sneak around and try to play really quietly :)

ADD it took first 5 minutes max and second time maybe 3 minutes minutes. first I had no shoes and when we came back inside I was not happy with my short fat legs. so we had to go again, second time was harder. Funny was that i choose late hour that people would not see me. And first thing we saw, when we walked out was a neighbor with a big smile on her face :D photo was taken... I am not sure how to call him. lets say boyfriend. That was actually cool too when I told him that I needed a little help with a photo, he was not very happy because it was late and he was tired. Somehow his attitude changed when I started dressing up (down) for it.

Mendel, you got a good start then. When I started Paul was old enough to understand that ukulele is taking too much of mothers attention :D so he gets mad when I start to play uke. even if I play something that comes out ok. I´m not even allowed to hold it. So I sneak around and try to play really quietly :)

Thanks, marihhen, for both responses. Made me smile and laugh out loud, thinking about you planning this whole scenario, visualizing your neighbor, your reluctant then eager boy friend and you, the mother, sneaking around the house so your son, Paul, won't catch you playing the ukulele. Pretty funny stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom