Wound vs non wound

Acoustic Dano

Reaction score
Any inputs re: wound low C string vs. non-wound? Good, worse or same. I have only ever used the non-wound on my Kala SMHT Mahogany.

Just curious!

Dano

My first uke came with one on it. I didn't like the way it would sustain longer then all the other strings. It also wore out a lot faster then the other strings due to the way the frets affected the winding. Non-wound all the way for me.

funny you should ask. I have not over time been a fan of wound strings, and over time have been in the flourocarbon school. However, today I put a set of Southcoastukes wound linears # A23 in GCEA tuning (3 and 4 wound, 1 and 2 clear) on my Oscar Schmidt OU6 Koa tenor. I have never quite gotten the sound out of it that I have wanted, so thought I would try these. All I can say is WOW. What a difference. Derik is right about the balance of sound. The wounds don't overpower strings 1 and 2 and overall sound is so clear, crisp and full sounding. These will be of course in low G and the nice full sound from the G and C are just beautiful. I will certainly not be taking these off any time soon, maybe never. Of course I have played on them one day, but can't imagine I will have a different opinion tomorrow :) You will find mixed replies on wounds, some good some bad. I will say that these wounds seem a little smoother and easier to pick than others I have used. Lozark

Wound strings never seem to last longer than about a
week for me,so plain strings all the way!

Last edited:
Try Guadalupe custom strings.

I had a full set of wound. Pretty loud, good sustain, more warm than bright.

No wound. Ever. All they do is wear grooves in your saddle.

Top Bottom