NPR Article - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole: The Voice Of Hawaii

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/131812500/israel-kamakawiwo-ole-the-voice-of-hawaii

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole: The Voice Of Hawaii

cHphq.jpg

His version of "Over the Rainbow" has the poignancy of Judy Garland's and the shimmering vulnerability, but these days it's heard so often on TV and in the movies, a younger generation may only know Israel's version. It's become so popular, it is now the most requested version of the song by far, according to music publishing house EMI. That's quite remarkable for a rendition with one voice, accompanied only by ukulele.

"In Hawaii, we talk about this thing we call mana," says musician Del Beazley, who grew up with Israel and wrote two of his songs. "Mana is like an energy that you get. We believe we get ours from the elements first, the Earth, your sky, your ocean, your God, and all that is inside of us. And when we open our mouth to speak, to sing or to play, that's what we let out. But it's that that makes him [Israel] special, because his mana always came out."

More at the link...

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/131812500/israel-kamakawiwo-ole-the-voice-of-hawaii

I can't listen to this song too much--each time I hear it, I feel very humble. I wish I could have known IZ personally.

A rare, precious, vintage talent. It was cool to hear how he rediscovered his language and music. A great article.

Seeso Much Mahalos for finding and sharing this article . . . he was indeed someone very special! Here's a video from the 1996 Na Hoku Hanohano Awards. It marked the first time The Sons (Moon, John & Jerome) and Iz played together after Iz left to pursue a solo career. It would also be the last time they performed together. Iz passed on the following year on the 26 of June, 1997. I get teary eyed every time I watch this video.

Aloha Seeso, Mahalo for sharing. A man that will be forever missed. What would the world be like if everyone had a little bit of the "Aloha" Bruddah IZ had?

Aloha Seeso,
Mahalos for that. He WILL be remembered by generations to come.
Mahalo Bruddah Kanaka 916 for the added note. Chicken skin time, awesome.

Top Bottom