GH&S Banjo Uke - carnival

Ron

Reaction score
I know GH&S and a bit of their history. I understand GH&S are fairly common and standard but can't find "Carnival" anywhere. Any ideas of the years these were made?

Hey, Ron.

I'll tell you what I know, which isn't much. George Houghton & Sons offered banjo ukes starting in the early 30's through the 40's. I think they stopped making them by the mid 1950's, but I'm not sure. GH&S offered two basic models of banjo uke during this time: The 8 1/4" pot model, which is often labeled as Melody, Melody Major, and Carnival, and less often as Handel and Triumph. Then they offered the 7 inch pot model - which I've seen labeled as the Melody Minor and Pageant.

The major and minor models are all nearly identical to others within the same model group - same headstock, same resonator, same tone ring assembly (only in the major model) and only three mop markers at 3, 7 & 12 - and this reflects the fact that they were being turned out for department and music stores. There is no gradation or qualitative differences between them, only some slight optional differences - for example, I've seen Melodys that had white celluloid binding on the rim of the resonator and high-grade clear polish on the laminate - walnut, I think - on the pot and resonator. I've also seen Melodys and Carnivals painted sunburst (sunsplash) on the resonator back and middle of the neck, with no binding. Then, I'd seen a Carnival with no decoration other than the headplate and mop fret markers that was stained black all over with the wood grain barely visible. I've only ever seen one Handel and two Triumps, both were very plain models, light brown stain over what appeared to be walnut with no decoration other than the nameplates. And check this out - a GH&S uke that had presumeably been built for and sold by a French music store that had Houghton emboss their name into the headstock - "Gallotone" - but as you can see, GH&S's "British Made" stamp and "Melody Uke" are also embossed http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/15664192/VINTAGE_GALLOTONE_BANJOLINA_MELODY_UKE.html .

As to which music or department store offered the Carnival, I've no idea. They may know at the Duke of Uke in London, which usually offers a number of vintage banjo ukes, though just now, they appear to be out. The point is, the Carnival is exactly the same instrument as the Melody as the Handel, just a different nameplate.

I love these GH&S ukes. A friend owns a Carnival and Melody. As banjoleles go, they're really light, and they have surprisingly accurate freting for cheapies and have good tone. I have a file of auction records that has several GH&S models, including a few Carnivals, but don't have it at work. If you're interested in that, I can send later today.

Thats very interesting for me too as I bought banjolele off fleabay a few months ago. Its a GH&S " carnival". I sem to have seen a lot of " melodies advertised but no other " carnivals". Apart from the name on the head it has no other decoration or embelishments.
it is stained a sort of plain brown though inside the drum it is more reddish. this does not looked as if it has been mucked around with. It has a resonater which screws into the cross brace . I have to say that I am delighted with it. I aqlso have a new Eastern built instrument which is nice but sooo much heavier than the Haughton one. The old thing is also much brighter in its tone and its only disadvantage is that its a bit small for my sausage fingers.
Nice to know someone else has a carnival and the extra info is very useful.:D:D

Ron, Hi, No probs, I think I got it fot about £80 including postage. It also came with an original case which although a bit battered is perfectly servicable. I put new Aquila strings on it and gave it a bit of a clean. plays very well now.

Pastyman and Ron - a quick question? Where the resonator screws into the neck dowel, does the screw go right into threading in the wood, or is there a metal threaded insert. I know that's an odd question, but my friend with the Carnival and Melody is trying to find out if such a part (metal screw insert) was ever made.

Thanks!

mine just screws into the dowell, no insert. its a very coarse thread and does not need to be sctrewed in too tightly.
hope this helps

Pastyman and Ron - a quick question? Where the resonator screws into the neck dowel, does the screw go right into threading in the wood, or is there a metal threaded insert. I know that's an odd question, but my friend with the Carnival and Melody is trying to find out if such a part (metal screw insert) was ever made.

Thanks!

Sorry, Jnobianchi, can't help you. Haven't bought it yet!

will do. I'm really not sure much I oughta pay. Like all things I guess - I'll pay what it's worth to me.......

Thanks John et al for the tips. Someone else got it (it went ambit high for me but I suspect they got a good price if they have the fixit skills) - but by then I had got sidetracked into a search for a Bushman Jenny Baritone - which I JUST PURCHASED!
I know for you banjo freaks that's a big "so, what" but I'm pretty stoked :)

Never touched one, never played one. I'm going on advice. Went to see Uke orchestra of Great Britain and their baritone player recommended Bushman.

GH & S Festival

Hi, I have got this G,H & S Festival banjo Uke and was wondering if you knew anything about it? Do you have any idea of the wood. Looks like walnut but i'm not sure. Also the date and what it would be worth?
Many thanks in anticipation!

uke-01.jpg
uke-02.jpg
uke-03.jpg

Top Bottom