I see a lot of old Harmony ukes on eBay...

J_Tay81

Reaction score
...Do these typically make good players? I think it would be fun to own a 'vintage' instrument that had some character and history to it. Of course, not TOO much history as I am not exactly rolling in the greenbacks :)

Has anybody picked up an old Harmony from online and used it as a player? What did you do to refurbish it? And how do they sound?

...Do these typically make good players? I think it would be fun to own a 'vintage' instrument that had some character and history to it. Of course, not TOO much history as I am not exactly rolling in the greenbacks :)

Has anybody picked up an old Harmony from online and used it as a player? What did you do to refurbish it? And how do they sound?

g'day J_Tay81

yes, I've bought a couple from ebay...one of the standard plywood sunburst models with the top white binding, and one of the green ones with the canoe stencil. Both sounded a little lifeless but I restrung them with aquilas and both have fine volume and projection. Fun little players and only paid a touch over $50 for the sunburst and just under $100 for the canoe stencil. Only thing, with mine, the actions are both a touch high and intonation a little off, but overall pretty happy with them. And you're right, there seems to be a neverending supply on ebay!!! For a cheap uke with a bit of history behind it, I reckon they're fantastic for the price...

I had a friend give me her old Harmony soprano from the 50's, made of poplar (I think) with the plastic fretboard and painted on binding, and it had pretty sad sound until I put a set of Aquila's on and tuned it up to "D", now it plays and sounds great.

Yeah, my Silvertone made by Harmony is a fun little uke. I have Aquila's on it and it sounds pretty good for what it is. It has the stencil of the woman sitting playing uke with palm trees behind her. I waited to get one with the wood fretboard just because I like the look and it turns out the intonation is perfect. The action at the 12th fret is a little high but I'm not playing up there anyway.

Will you get a uke that sounds like a vintage Martin or Kamaka when you get a Harmony....not even close.....but will you have fun with it and have a solid little vintage uke......YES!

Got a vintage Harmony Banjole from the 1930's. Bought it as a basket case, and refreshed it to playable condition. Lowered the action to make it playable, and then made a solid mahogany resonator to put on the back of it. Also replaced, and upgraded the tuners to geared. Plays very nice now, and one of my favorites to play. Typically, Harmony aren't high dollar, and were entry level to intermediate instruments, and they made them for many "names". I have about $150 in mine counting the purchase price, as well as the refurb. Thats about what it's monetary value is ($150-$200 in playable condition)

I love the old solid mahogany ones, lound and punchy, own 6. The concert I always play on the stage is a harmony, I like it cause it's loud and bright. The wood is thin and the ukes are light, not like some of the mallets made today. Not for everyone. In fact they suck, pass the word (that way I can buy more cheaper)

I've got one from about 1928, all mahogany with an arched back, it has a great loud woody "bark" and is a honey. I don't however like the brass bar frets but that's true of any uke for me, they work fine and the intonation is good. I'm keeping it until I get a Martin or something nicer, or until my old pineapple comes back from the luthier with a better sound. I do love that old mahogany sound, but I can't really tell old mahogany and old koa apart just by listening...:eek:

I just got a Harmony on eBay this week. It is the green one with the canoe and palm trees stenciled on it. I got it for $62. I plan on stringing it with Aquilas, but for now it has D'addarios, because I could get them locally. They're still stretching, but it's staying in tune better (I just put the strings on Tuesday). It doesn't sound great, but it's hardly the worst uke I've ever played. I like it though! It's green!
100_2757.jpg100_2755.jpg

I forgot to mention there are generally a few Favillas on eBay too. A little rarer and pricier but really nice vintage mahogany ukes. Similar builds. I've been working on one for awhile, it is stripped and being repaired. This thread got me thinking back when I had them both strung up and how close they sounded. The Harmony always seemed to have the edge by a hair, but the Favilla has a bit more playability as the action is lower. If the I chose to file the bridge on the Harmony to allow for lowering the saddle I think it would be super. I saw a few mentions of that on Elderly, and though it had occurred to me I didn't want to try it because I wanted to keep it original. Now of course if I am selling it in the future and maybe before Xmas, I would not touch it. The Favilla however was busted up when I got it, so I am all over that uke.

My father-in-law just gave me his old ukulele - older than I am by at least 5 years - and was pleasantly surprised when I immediately started playing some old-time songs he recognized - more so because I didn't own a ukulele at the time, and he'd never heard me play guitar.

The uke is a 1950's vintage Harmony, plastic fretboard, probably birch veneer plywood, with red painted binding and notes on the top. Very good shape, with only a couple of dings, the original pressboard case in near mint condition, and it pretty much stays in tune, although the intonation leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll try to post some photos here...

Attachments

• uke 4.jpg
    uke 4.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 8
  • uke 3.jpg
    uke 3.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
  • uke 5.jpg
    uke 5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8
  • uke 2.jpg
    uke 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 8
  • uke 1.jpg
    uke 1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 8
My father-in-law just gave me his old ukulele - older than I am by at least 5 years - and was pleasantly surprised when I immediately started playing some old-time songs he recognized - more so because I didn't own a ukulele at the time, and he'd never heard me play guitar.

The uke is a 1950's vintage Harmony, plastic fretboard, probably birch veneer plywood, with red painted binding and notes on the top. Very good shape, with only a couple of dings, the original pressboard case in near mint condition, and it pretty much stays in tune, although the intonation leaves a bit to be desired.

I'll try to post some photos here...

That's a very nice one. That case is really cool, too!

Top Bottom