WTB: Guitalele / Guitarlele (Details Inside)

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I love my ukulele dearly, but I have a serious hankering to play the guitar (and I recently parted ways with my guitar). I figured: why not combine my passions, and get a guitarlele? There's just one problem: for all my research, I've only found three models "in" my price range:

1) The Yamaha GL-1 (which is distributed only in Europe)
2) The Kala U-Tar (which seems to have been discontinued; I can't find it on eBay or CraigsList)
3) The Breedlove Passport C250/CM T (which is a bit out of my price range new; what's more, it's actually marketed and sold as a travel guitar, rather than a guitalele specifically...not that it's an issue, but it seemed worth mentioning)

So, dear UU, I was wondering if anyone on the forums had a Guitalele they were willing to part with, or had advice for other instruments I may have missed. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Budget: $275 max (given the economy, and all).
- Instrument Sought: Guitarlele
- Pick-up Preferred
- Strap Buttons Preferred
- Case Preferred ...

I could go on, but I'm guessing most people don't want to read an essay. Reply to the thread or PM with an offer; I am really looking forward to your responses.

Mim has some Utars. I would contact her. The price she quoted me was within your budget. I have a Utar and it is a really nifty little thing.

Good luck!

If Mim doesn't work out, I have it on good authority (my company's Yamaha rep) that the Guitalele will be coming to the US sometime this month or next month (probably next month after NAMM). Street price will be approximately $99. See my thread here discussing this.

And I think mele makes some solid mahoganys for like 150. not positive though. Some company with an M that was familiar....

I just did another cursory scan of eBay, and it looks like the only Mele guitalele was over $800. I don't think Mele was the manufacturer of the ukulele you have in mind, but if you do remember, I'd love to hear the name. Thanks for your input, by the way.

If Mim doesn't work out, I have it on good authority (my company's Yamaha rep) that the Guitalele will be coming to the US sometime this month or next month (probably next month after NAMM). Street price will be approximately $99. See my thread here discussing this.

Awesome! That'd be a lot easier than importing it (and a lot less expensive, I'd bet). I'll keep an eye on that thread; thanks for the update.

I just ordered a D-VI today =)

Kanilea has a baritone sized guitalele, but I think it's quite out of your price range.

Kanilea has a baritone sized guitalele, but I think it's quite out of your price range.

I am very interested in the D-VI. Do they have to build one from scratch for you, or do they already have some ready to ship? How long do you have to wait?

–Lori

here is a laminate mahogany http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fe996d2&itemid=320621365406&ff4=263602_304642

I did see a solid mahogany somewhere

Congrats on the D-VI. It looks like an amazing instrument. You're also 100% right in that it is utterly outside my price range. :p Maybe we could have a jam session one day, and I could play it for a few minutes...sadly that is probably as close as I will ever get to owning one, lol.

Congrats on the D-VI. It looks like an amazing instrument. You're also 100% right in that it is utterly outside my price range. :p Maybe we could have a jam session one day, and I could play it for a few minutes...sadly that is probably as close as I will ever get to owning one, lol.

All in due time. And personally soundclips I heard of the kanilea were unimpressive, sounded like a whimpy guitar to me. But don't tell them I said that. I like the sound of some of their tenors.

I have recently been selling a lot of things that I no longer use, while they are still worth money. That's how I got the money quick for my D-VI

1) The Yamaha GL-1 (which is distributed only in Europe)
It's for sale in Canada too. There was one in the window of Steve's Music, in Toronto, last weekend. Priced around $100, I believe.

It's for sale in Canada too. There was one in the window of Steve's Music, in Toronto, last weekend. Priced around $100, I believe.

Ah, yes. Now that you mention it, I believe they do sell these in Canada. The unfortunate bit is that it would still be an international purchase for me; I am beginning to doubt that I'll get to try one of these (any guitalele, really) in a music store before I pick one up...(d'oh)...

I can't wait for the GL-1 to hit the states. Yes I know I have a Utar...but I love Yamaha instruments. And for 100 I can buy one if I want. :p

I can't wait for the GL-1 to hit the states. Yes I know I have a Utar...but I love Yamaha instruments. And for 100 I can buy one if I want. :p

You're SASIE (still acquiring stringed instruments, eh; we can't very well call it GAS or UAS)? To be fair, I would probably do the same thing... :p

You're SASIE (still acquiring stringed instruments, eh; we can't very well call it GAS or UAS)? To be fair, I would probably do the same thing... :p

I just say I have IAS, Instrument Acquisition Syndrome. I have everything. My basement looks like a music store...it's pretty bad. My fiance has a bunch of instruments too. But everything gets played. It may not be every day, but enough to warrant keeping them all. :D

...and I work hard for my money...I will spend it how I please. As long as my bills are paid it's all good.

I just say I have IAS, Instrument Acquisition Syndrome. I have everything. My basement looks like a music store...it's pretty bad. My fiance has a bunch of instruments too. But everything gets played. It may not be every day, but enough to warrant keeping them all. :D

...and I work hard for my money...I will spend it how I please. As long as my bills are paid it's all good.

You have me on two fronts: that's more succinct and more inclusive. I suppose that's what I get for trying to be clever (I came up with the acronym off the top of my head). Personally I think it's awesome to own and play a bunch of instruments. If I had more money (and if I had more skill), I would definitely own more instruments. Also, to clarify, I wasn't criticizing you (I hope I didn't come off that way); the creation of music is a noble endeavor, after all. I would gladly be in the same boat (both in the acquisition of instruments, and the requisite talent to play them)...

Shirley at Island Bazaar had a Kala in her store when I was there over the weekend.

Top Bottom