PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Guitalele / Guitarlele (Details Inside)

FromTheWayside
12-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi Everyone -

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I love my ukulele dearly, but I have a serious hankering to play the guitar (and I recently parted ways with my guitar). I figured: why not combine my passions, and get a guitarlele? There's just one problem: for all my research, I've only found three models "in" my price range:

1) The Yamaha GL-1 (which is distributed only in Europe)
2) The Kala U-Tar (which seems to have been discontinued; I can't find it on eBay or CraigsList)
3) The Breedlove Passport C250/CM T (which is a bit out of my price range new; what's more, it's actually marketed and sold as a travel guitar, rather than a guitalele specifically...not that it's an issue, but it seemed worth mentioning)

So, dear UU, I was wondering if anyone on the forums had a Guitalele they were willing to part with, or had advice for other instruments I may have missed. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Budget: $275 max (given the economy, and all).
- Instrument Sought: Guitarlele
- Pick-up Preferred
- Strap Buttons Preferred
- Case Preferred ...

I could go on, but I'm guessing most people don't want to read an essay. Reply to the thread or PM with an offer; I am really looking forward to your responses.

Skitzic
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Mim has some Utars. I would contact her. The price she quoted me was within your budget. I have a Utar and it is a really nifty little thing.

Good luck!

FromTheWayside
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Mim has some Utars. I would contact her. The price she quoted me was within your budget. I have a Utar and it is a really nifty little thing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! I will contact her post-haste...

Skitzic
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tip! I will contact her post-haste...

Enjoy it. :)

Dane
12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
And I think mele makes some solid mahoganys for like 150. not positive though. Some company with an M that was familiar....

Nuprin
12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
If Mim doesn't work out, I have it on good authority (my company's Yamaha rep) that the Guitalele will be coming to the US sometime this month or next month (probably next month after NAMM). Street price will be approximately $99. See my thread here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37216-Yamaha-GL-1-Guitalele) discussing this.

FromTheWayside
12-07-2010, 03:32 PM
And I think mele makes some solid mahoganys for like 150. not positive though. Some company with an M that was familiar....

I just did another cursory scan of eBay, and it looks like the only Mele guitalele was over $800. I don't think Mele was the manufacturer of the ukulele you have in mind, but if you do remember, I'd love to hear the name. Thanks for your input, by the way.

If Mim doesn't work out, I have it on good authority (my company's Yamaha rep) that the Guitalele will be coming to the US sometime this month or next month (probably next month after NAMM). Street price will be approximately $99. See my thread here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?37216-Yamaha-GL-1-Guitalele) discussing this.

Awesome! That'd be a lot easier than importing it (and a lot less expensive, I'd bet). I'll keep an eye on that thread; thanks for the update.

Dane
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
here is a laminate mahogany http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320621365406&rvr_id=181128199974&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=ba930d6512c0a0a22b06fb66ffe996d2&itemid=320621365406&ff4=263602_304642

I did see a solid mahogany somewhere

Dane
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I just ordered a D-VI today =)

Kanilea has a baritone sized guitalele, but I think it's quite out of your price range.

Lori
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Kanilea has a baritone sized guitalele, but I think it's quite out of your price range.

I am very interested in the D-VI. Do they have to build one from scratch for you, or do they already have some ready to ship? How long do you have to wait?

–Lori

Dane
12-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I am very interested in the D-VI. Do they have to build one from scratch for you, or do they already have some ready to ship? How long do you have to wait?

–Lori

I ordered mine from MGM, he had 1.

FromTheWayside
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
here is a laminate mahogany http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320621365406&rvr_id=181128199974&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=ba930d6512c0a0a22b06fb66ffe996d2&itemid=320621365406&ff4=263602_304642

I did see a solid mahogany somewhere

Congrats on the D-VI. It looks like an amazing instrument. You're also 100% right in that it is utterly outside my price range. :P Maybe we could have a jam session one day, and I could play it for a few minutes...sadly that is probably as close as I will ever get to owning one, lol.

Dane
12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Congrats on the D-VI. It looks like an amazing instrument. You're also 100% right in that it is utterly outside my price range. :P Maybe we could have a jam session one day, and I could play it for a few minutes...sadly that is probably as close as I will ever get to owning one, lol.

All in due time. And personally soundclips I heard of the kanilea were unimpressive, sounded like a whimpy guitar to me. But don't tell them I said that. I like the sound of some of their tenors.

I have recently been selling a lot of things that I no longer use, while they are still worth money. That's how I got the money quick for my D-VI

ichadwick
12-08-2010, 01:03 AM
1) The Yamaha GL-1 (which is distributed only in Europe)

It's for sale in Canada too. There was one in the window of Steve's Music, in Toronto, last weekend. Priced around $100, I believe.

FromTheWayside
12-08-2010, 04:31 AM
It's for sale in Canada too. There was one in the window of Steve's Music, in Toronto, last weekend. Priced around $100, I believe.

Ah, yes. Now that you mention it, I believe they do sell these in Canada. The unfortunate bit is that it would still be an international purchase for me; I am beginning to doubt that I'll get to try one of these (any guitalele, really) in a music store before I pick one up...(d'oh)...

Skitzic
12-08-2010, 04:52 AM
I can't wait for the GL-1 to hit the states. Yes I know I have a Utar...but I love Yamaha instruments. And for 100 I can buy one if I want. :p

FromTheWayside
12-08-2010, 05:27 AM
I can't wait for the GL-1 to hit the states. Yes I know I have a Utar...but I love Yamaha instruments. And for 100 I can buy one if I want. :p

You're SASIE (still acquiring stringed instruments, eh; we can't very well call it GAS or UAS)? To be fair, I would probably do the same thing... :P

Skitzic
12-08-2010, 06:06 AM
You're SASIE (still acquiring stringed instruments, eh; we can't very well call it GAS or UAS)? To be fair, I would probably do the same thing... :P

I just say I have IAS, Instrument Acquisition Syndrome. I have everything. My basement looks like a music store...it's pretty bad. My fiance has a bunch of instruments too. But everything gets played. It may not be every day, but enough to warrant keeping them all. :D

...and I work hard for my money...I will spend it how I please. As long as my bills are paid it's all good.

FromTheWayside
12-08-2010, 06:36 AM
I just say I have IAS, Instrument Acquisition Syndrome. I have everything. My basement looks like a music store...it's pretty bad. My fiance has a bunch of instruments too. But everything gets played. It may not be every day, but enough to warrant keeping them all. :D

...and I work hard for my money...I will spend it how I please. As long as my bills are paid it's all good.

You have me on two fronts: that's more succinct and more inclusive. I suppose that's what I get for trying to be clever (I came up with the acronym off the top of my head). Personally I think it's awesome to own and play a bunch of instruments. If I had more money (and if I had more skill), I would definitely own more instruments. Also, to clarify, I wasn't criticizing you (I hope I didn't come off that way); the creation of music is a noble endeavor, after all. I would gladly be in the same boat (both in the acquisition of instruments, and the requisite talent to play them)...

SailingUke
12-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Shirley at Island Bazaar had a Kala in her store when I was there over the weekend.

AzMichael
12-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Any idea what the difference in string spacing between all these is...the Guitalele, the U Tarr and D-VI?

~Michael

FromTheWayside
12-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Shirley at Island Bazaar had a Kala in her store when I was there over the weekend.

Oh! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I think it would be great to actually get my hands on one of these in person before taking the plunge on one myself. Thanks for the heads-up. ^^

Dane
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. I think it would be great to actually get my hands on one of these in person before taking the plunge on one myself. Thanks for the heads-up. ^^

It's always better to play it first

vehement
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I am going to sell my Yamaha Guitalele very soon. I put in a Fishman preamp and pickup in it, and strung it with some D'addario Composites.

FromTheWayside
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM
It's always better to play it first

Definitely! I just didn't know there was a place close by where I could play one. Most people only seem to have it on special order. At least now I have a little project to take up next time I have a free moment.

I am going to sell my Yamaha Guitalele very soon. I put in a Fishman preamp and pickup in it, and strung it with some D'addario Composites.

How soon are we talking? Perhaps you can shoot me a PM? =]

Skitzic
12-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Definitely! I just didn't know there was a place close by where I could play one. Most people only seem to have it on special order. At least now I have a little project to take up next time I have a free moment.

How soon are we talking? Perhaps you can shoot me a PM? =]

I call dibs if she passes!

urcuzzn
12-09-2010, 09:44 AM
i write this only for informational purposes.
i started making the guitaralele in 1982 and it was called the bari-guitar.
a baritone body with a classic neck.
my salesman (alan gaylor) coined the name guitaralele which has since become a widely used trade name for tenor and bari bodies with a six string neck.
the original was a nylon string bari.
i expanded the line to include a bari-steel string six and a bari 12 string strung with silk and steel strings.
i have 4 pieces on my schedule for spring and this is the first time in 9 years i am resurecting the original maui music guitaralele.
anybody out there have an original maui music guitaralele?
if so what are your likes and dislikes about this model?
just curious.
urcuzzn-peter lieberman-maker of maui music ukuleles

Skitzic
12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
i write this only for informational purposes.
i started making the guitaralele in 1982 and it was called the bari-guitar.
a baritone body with a classic neck.
my salesman (alan gaylor) coined the name guitaralele which has since become a widely used trade name for tenor and bari bodies with a six string neck.
the original was a nylon string bari.
i expanded the line to include a bari-steel string six and a bari 12 string strung with silk and steel strings.
i have 4 pieces on my schedule for spring and this is the first time in 9 years i am resurecting the original maui music guitaralele.
anybody out there have an original maui music guitaralele?
if so what are your likes and dislikes about this model?
just curious.
urcuzzn-peter lieberman-maker of maui music ukuleles

Interesting...the 12 string intrigues me...

vehement
12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Probably going to post it this weekend. I was finishing setting up the Fishman preamp as I had to cut holes. I'll probably post some pictures this weekend. I also have a Breedlove travel size guitar tuned the same, except with acoustic guitar strings of course, that I will be posting.

casarole45
12-09-2010, 12:25 PM
All in due time. And personally soundclips I heard of the kanilea were unimpressive, sounded like a whimpy guitar to me. But don't tell them I said that. I like the sound of some of their tenors.

I have recently been selling a lot of things that I no longer use, while they are still worth money. That's how I got the money quick for my D-VI

Ah, you the man. I was going to push the order button on one of these bad boys (D-VI).. I'd worked out all the finances but then wife tells me we won't be able to afford the new baby... I gripped with my own selfish needs for a few days but in the end felt too guilty so have had to hold up on it.

It is by far the best 'standard 6 string uke' (not a fan of the term guitalele), its the only one I actually like the sound of, it carries a sweet bright uke sound still so I still class it as a uke, sounds absolutely lush and looks killer.

Dane
12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Ah, you the man. I was going to push the order button on one of these bad boys (D-VI).. I'd worked out all the finances but then wife tells me we won't be able to afford the new baby... I gripped with my own selfish needs for a few days but in the end felt too guilty so have had to hold up on it.

It is by far the best 'standard 6 string uke' (not a fan of the term guitalele), its the only one I actually like the sound of, it carries a sweet bright uke sound still so I still class it as a uke, sounds absolutely lush and looks killer.

Oh don't get me wrong, I feel totally guilty, and I will until it arrives and I get to play. I really don't buy things, I don't need much to keep me happy, but this was quite a bit of money for me to toss at an instrument. I could have gotten many other things that would have helped me musically, like a new amp, a recording device, etc, but I simply needed this, I think it will really bridge the gap between my ukulele and guitar playing and I hope will also inspire me with new sounds. And need is much different than want. But no 6 string will ever stop making me play my normal ukulele =)

P.S. I also don't like the term guitalele or guitarlele. We need a new name. "Ukulele Plus" or "Enhanced Ukulele"? I'm being strange again.

The Epigrammic Poultry
12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Another thing worth considering if you are looking into a guitalele is a perhaps requinto guitar, it's got a [I]slightly[I] more guitar-ish tone and longer scale, but the variety of them available is far larger than that of guitaleles, and quality one's are easier to find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptv9ijBZzPk

FromTheWayside
12-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Probably going to post it this weekend. I was finishing setting up the Fishman preamp as I had to cut holes. I'll probably post some pictures this weekend. I also have a Breedlove travel size guitar tuned the same, except with acoustic guitar strings of course, that I will be posting.

Okay, please keep me in the loop. I'm also interested in the Breedlove, depending on the price point. If you wouldn't mind sending some pictures my way, I would be appreciative.

FromTheWayside
12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
P.S. I also don't like the term guitalele or guitarlele. We need a new name. "Ukulele Plus" or "Enhanced Ukulele"? I'm being strange again.

...Guitalele is a somewhat obvious portmanteau, but it seems like calling it a, "ukulele plus," is a value judgement. It's not that guitar is any better than an ukulele, ya know? It's just as easy to be a hack at one as it is to be at the other (and I ought to know)! We could call it a Uke-a-tar, a LEAR, or a U-Guit (like a nugget, but made out of wood, and not terribly edible). Now I'm being weird...

Another thing worth considering if you are looking into a guitalele is a perhaps requinto guitar, it's got a [I]slightly[I] more guitar-ish tone and longer scale, but the variety of them available is far larger than that of guitaleles, and quality one's are easier to find.

I like the sounds of the Requinto, but portability is a big factor in determining my next instrument purchase. I don't mind that it sounds guitar-like (in fact, part of the reason why I want a guitalele is so I can maintain my guitar "chops,") but if it's about the size of an acoustic, I could just get a dreadnaught, you know?

Skitzic
12-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Have you considered a backpacker guitar? Just a thought if you're looking for something easy to move with a guitarish sound. Or possibly a parlor guitar? I have a Martin 5-15. It's a bit longer than the Utar, but not by much and it can be heard playing with other guitars. I imagine the Utar would get drowned out pretty quickly playing with full sized guitars but I've never tried it (mostly because I was pretty sure it'd get drowned out).

Just something to consider.

FromTheWayside
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Have you considered a backpacker guitar? Just a thought if you're looking for something easy to move with a guitarish sound. Or possibly a parlor guitar? I have a Martin 5-15. It's a bit longer than the Utar, but not by much and it can be heard playing with other guitars. I imagine the Utar would get drowned out pretty quickly playing with full sized guitars but I've never tried it (mostly because I was pretty sure it'd get drowned out).

Just something to consider.

I've played with a backpacker, and I wasn't particularly impressed. Also, though the shape is very practical, it's a bit of a turn off for me. Travel guitars are definitely up for consideration (that's how I stumbled on the Breedlove), but I haven't found many that meet my criteria (i.e. acoustic or acoustic/electric, compact / short-scale, tuned a a fourth above the guitar, and good for more reasons than the fact that it's a "travel guitar"). I haven't looked into parlor guitars, but now that you mention them, I will. It's funny, when I first started this little quest, I thought I had too few options. It's rapidly becoming evident that I may have too many...

Skitzic
12-14-2010, 02:15 AM
I've played with a backpacker, and I wasn't particularly impressed. Also, though the shape is very practical, it's a bit of a turn off for me. Travel guitars are definitely up for consideration (that's how I stumbled on the Breedlove), but I haven't found many that meet my criteria (i.e. acoustic or acoustic/electric, compact / short-scale, tuned a a fourth above the guitar, and good for more reasons than the fact that it's a "travel guitar"). I haven't looked into parlor guitars, but now that you mention them, I will. It's funny, when I first started this little quest, I thought I had too few options. It's rapidly becoming evident that I may have too many...

So how's the hunt coming?

khal
12-14-2010, 03:27 AM
See my ad for the Strunal 1/4 size guitar. Baritone size body, tenor scale length, solid cedar top. I think you'd be happy with that. Or just PM me.

khal

FromTheWayside
12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
So how's the hunt coming?

Eh, it's going alright. I'm going to try a few instruments in person today and tomorrow, so that should make the decision making process a lot easier. If all else fails, there's always a bari or 8-string uke. Gotta love that beefy low end...

See my ad for the Strunal 1/4 size guitar. Baritone size body, tenor scale length, solid cedar top. I think you'd be happy with that. Or just PM me.

Heyo! I saw your ad in the marketplace, but thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely keep it in mind! ^^

warndt
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM
"I don't mind that it sounds guitar-like (in fact, part of the reason why I want a guitalele is so I can maintain my guitar "chops,") "

I was in your same situation a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a used "Tacoma Papoose" which is no longer in production. Search Ebay and Craigs list. I bought mine in great shape with an active Fishman pickup for 400.00. This should fill your needs very nicely. Try to go with the made in USA model, made before October 2003. After this they were bought out and made by Fender. If you need help in dating an instrument off of the serial number I can help you out with that. These are great professional grade instruments with solid Cedar tops and solid mahogany back and sides. I've seen these go for as low as 100.00 on craigs list if you are patient, lucky and diligent. The folks on Ebay are a bit more savvy and 350.00-450.00 is the normal going price.
William

FromTheWayside
12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
"I don't mind that it sounds guitar-like (in fact, part of the reason why I want a guitalele is so I can maintain my guitar "chops,") "

I was in your same situation a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a used "Tacoma Papoose" which is no longer in production. Search Ebay and Craigs list. I bought mine in great shape with an active Fishman pickup for 400.00. This should fill your needs very nicely. Try to go with the made in USA model, made before October 2003. After this they were bought out and made by Fender. If you need help in dating an instrument off of the serial number I can help you out with that. These are great professional grade instruments with solid Cedar tops and solid mahogany back and sides. I've seen these go for as low as 100.00 on craigs list if you are patient, lucky and diligent. The folks on Ebay are a bit more savvy and 350.00-450.00 is the normal going price.
William

Thanks for the tip! I actually stumbled across one of these while I was browsing eBay a day or so ago, but I didn't bid because I wasn't sure if it would fit my needs. Now that I know a bit more about it, I'm sorry I didn't jump on it sooner. Live and learn, as they say. If I see a Papoose I'll let you know; I want the genuine article, of course.

warndt
12-15-2010, 05:52 AM
FromTheWayside,

Here is the Tacoma Guitar site for dating an instrument off the serial number. http://www.tacomaguitars.com/resources/dating.php

If you decide to go with a Papoose, try to be patient and get one in good shape ... They still come along pretty regularly. They usually come with a cheap gig bag, however a few were sold with a fitted hardshell case. I'm currently searching for a hardshell case that will fit mine. I've heard that there are only a couple of baritone uke cases that will fit this one.

I also own the Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele. Not as nice as the Papoose, but for around 100 bucks from Germany, it is a really great deal. I got mine shipped quickly and with no problems from:
http://stores.ebay.com/Rock-Shop-Musikinstrumente

Best of luck to you no matter which way you decide to go!

William

FromTheWayside
12-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Hey, sorry I didn't respond to this one! I could have sworn I did, but then the thread would make a liar out of me. The requinto actually does sound like an interesting compromise (especially considering how many guitarleles I am finding for purchase that are actually guitarleles, rather than travel guitars in some form or another). What recommendations would you make? I'm pretty clueless about them, so any tips would be vastly appreciated...

mm stan
12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
There is a Mele guitarlele on Hawaii's craigs list now..seen it couple days ago.....Good Luck.. P.S. Just PM'D you..

pdxuke
12-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Did anyone mention a Baritone uke? Very "guitar like."

FromTheWayside
12-24-2010, 07:57 PM
There is a Mele guitarlele on Hawaii's craigs list now..seen it couple days ago.....Good Luck.. P.S. Just PM'D you..

Thanks again for the tip. I have contacted the seller, but I have yet to hear anything in response. He's probably busy with the holidays, so I don't really blame him. In due time, as they say!

Did anyone mention a Baritone uke? Very "guitar like."

I've considered a baritone or even an 8 string tenor, but those are my options of last resort. I suppose I could just get a low G string for my tenor, but I really want an instrument that will allow me to combine my guitar and uke skills (and I feel guitalele is that instrument). I'm not really in any rush, to be honest. It seems like more options and instruments are popping up every day (much to my excitement). Thanks for the tip, though. ^^

jgeary
01-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi Wayside,
Did you find the right instrument for you yet?
I am very interested in the Yamaha guitalele and would love to know if you found one. I've had some upper back and hand/joint issues and the smaller, guitalele-sized instrument should likely be gentler on my body!
FYI, the Cordoba Requinto 1/2 size guitar (solid cedar top, rosewood b/s) was voted "best in show" at NAMM in 2010 I believe. I have the Cordoba Cadete (3/4 size) and would be happy to show it to you. It's still a little large for my physical issues but I'm enjoying it! These instruments are in the $250 range, new.
Jill
San Diego