Noodling By The Fire

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I recorded this video earlier today.

Just a bit of noodling on a cold day.

By The Fire

Thanks for watching.

Aloha Ken,
Sound sweet to me....nice pad!!! I like the fireplace, nice touch...must be cold outside up there now!!! Looks like you got it made....What uke are you playing??Thanks for Sharing..Happy Strummings, MM Stan
Happy Holidays to you and your family....your music just gets me in the holiday mood......

Last edited:
Ken I just want to crawl right into that video.. such a warm inviting room with that beautiful uke playing... Beautiful.. so so wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.. I have warm fuzzies now!!!

Aloha Ken,
Sound sweet to me....nice pad!!! I like the fireplace, nice touch...must be cold outside up there now!!! Looks like you got it made....What uke are you playing??Thanks for Sharing..Happy Strummings, MM Stan
Happy Holidays to you and your family....your music just gets me in the holiday mood......

I live in an old house, Stan. 300 years old. But it is cold and draughty. An open fire is a real treat.

I more often than not play an Ohana TK35G or TK 35CG nowadays. I have some other, very expensive ukes, but these 35 series Ohanas are wonderful for finger-picking and instrumental work. The TK-35G was the second ukulele I bought, long before I started working for the company. I use Worth BT strings.

Have a terrific New Year, Stan.

Ken I just want to crawl right into that video.. such a warm inviting room with that beautiful uke playing... Beautiful.. so so wonderful!! Thanks for sharing.. I have warm fuzzies now!!!

Thanks. Is it snowly and cold in New York at the moment? It has been really icy here, hence the fire. I have the pleasure of cleaning out the hearth this morning.

Thanks for the kind words.

As always Ken, nicely done. Warm and inviting. Thank you! Lozark

I'm all relaxed now and watching for santa, I may be here a while. Thanks Ken.
DAP

Ken you have been inspiring me for a couple years now......Thanks for sharing

Ken, Masterfully done. That is it! I must subscribe to your channel.

Nicely done as usual Ken.
Are you using an under saddle pickup through effects and amp in this video?
I've been messing with my tenor plugged into my amp today because I have a solo on silent night coming up this week with our family uke group. Normally I play my ubass with the group but will be playing tenor on three of the more mellow sounding songs. They want me to amplify especially on the solo (nervous)
I'm thinking about looking into a reverb pedal or something to smooth out the tone a bit. Seems a it harsh as is but that could be my sub par playing technique.

Nicely done as usual Ken.
Are you using an under saddle pickup through effects and amp in this video?
I've been messing with my tenor plugged into my amp today because I have a solo on silent night coming up this week with our family uke group. Normally I play my ubass with the group but will be playing tenor on three of the more mellow sounding songs. They want me to amplify especially on the solo (nervous)
I'm thinking about looking into a reverb pedal or something to smooth out the tone a bit. Seems a it harsh as is but that could be my sub par playing technique.

No, I never use an undersaddle pickup. I may start playing on stage a little more in the near future, in which case I will probably use a uke with a pickup.

I am recording it on a Zoom H4n. The audio is imported into Audacity. I like to keep things as low-tech as possible. Generally I just add reverb and normalise, then convert to an MP3. I import that and the video into Movie Maker andf sync. That's it.

The reverb shouldn't make it harsh. It is more likely to be the amp. Some things to try.

1. Tweak the amp controls.
2. Don't set the reverb too high.
3. Make sure that your nails are smooth, on the edge and the undersurface.
4. Don't play too near the bridge.

Don't be afraid of playing loudly and doing a solo. A simple solo done well will always be better than a fancy one played badly. I always try to keep things simple.

I lovely start to my sunday morning, great noodling, cosy warm vid.. Great stuff ken.

Thanks ken.
Actually I have no effects to run through yet. Just uke and amp.
as far as nails go, I'm still working on that. My nails break real easily so I've been using just bare skin which is why I bought my spruce top tenor to add brightness. I've been filing my index finger nail (as suggested by aldrine guerrero) to strengthen it and that seems to be working. I'll work on the other nails as I feel comfortable.
I use my hands alot in my job and have actually gotten splinters caught under my nails when they were short (ouch!) so I need to be careful. (Only 3 years until retirement, HA!)

Top Bottom