Peterson Stroboclip Tuner - vs - Brand Xers

Ingrate

Reaction score
Well, it came yesterday, and I've been exploring with this tuner a lot. I got it via Amazon, so return would not be problematic. I didn't expect it to make any difference. It has made a difference.

Just exactly what that difference is, I'm still assessing. Unlike the "Brand X" tuners I've used to date (Aroma 320, Aroma 300, and Snark), this tuner has a more precise and immediate response to tension adjustment. You can tell precisely when you cross from flat to sharp, or vice versa. There is no "green screen". It's sensitive, and it can be hard to get exactly on pitch (especially w/friction peg tuners), but it's easy to get very, very close. The brand Xer's have noticeably less precision. (For example, tune 3 strings from flat until you just get the green screen. Then tune the 4th from sharp until you just reach the green screen. My 'uke's out of tune if I do this. Not w/this stroboclip.)

No surprise, but does it matter? I don't know, yet. This doodad has "sweetened" settings, including one for the 'ukulele. When I tune using them, I quite like the results. Checking w/a brandX, I find that the A & E strings have been tuned a wee bit sharp - the A a bit more than the E. I've tried to detune, and then recreate this setup, but it's difficult to do with the brand X tuners. Surely, it can be done, but it's trial and error. This may be the dealmaker for me.

Problems? It's $70! It's barely too big to fit in my soprano case w/the 'ukulele.

I hope this info is of use to you. I'd appreciate comments from other stroboclip users.

jeff

Edit: This thing has more articulations than I realized. Folded just so, it fits in the pocket in my Gator soprano case, and that's a very compact case. Sweet.

Last edited:
So when someone complains that ukuleles seem to be out of tune, we should blame the cheap tuners and keep having a good time.

Have you tried to use it in a noisy place?

LOL...

Only in a quiet environment so far.

These things work by detecting the vibrations so it should be unaffected by noise. At least I think that's how they work. :)

I've never had a problem with a clip on tuner in a noisy situation.

I've had mine for a month or so now and have used it in a noisy environment (tuning up with 80 other uke players playing Mele Kalikimaka). It is accurate - very accurate and extraneous noise has no effect. As far as I'm concerned it's only drawback, apart from price, it that tuning takes longer than with a conventional tuner.
It is larger than a digital tuner and will not fit in any of my cases but I don't see that as a major problem. Using it at Uke Club meetings is, perhaps, being a bit pedantic - if others are a few cents out it matters not that I am in tune to the order 1/10 of one cent! Is it worth the $70? - You betcha!

Tred

These things work by detecting the vibrations so it should be unaffected by noise. At least I think that's how they work. :)

I've never had a problem with a clip on tuner in a noisy situation.

Actually, I've found that clip on tuners can be affected by noise - strong enough noise can get the top and strings vibrating sympathetically. It's not as noticeable on the very inexpensive, imprecise tuners, but is more noticeable on my Intellitouch and I would have to assume even more so on something very precise like the Peterson.

Edited to add - it doesn't change the tuning - just makes the indication bounce around more before it settles down.

Would love to have one of the Petersons, probably will, some day.

John

Digital Chromatic Clip on tuners work by vibrations up the neck and not ambient sound...I'm not sure what you mean???? I use a Cherub WST 550C it is fast and accurate...on line google $15.99 can't go wrong...

Last edited:
Digital Chromatic Clip on tuners work by vibrations and not ambient sound...I'm not sure what you mean???? I use a Cherub WST 550C it is fast and accurate...on line google $19.99 can't go wrong...

When the ambient sound is loud enough it causes sympathetic vibrations on the strings (and probably directly on the instrument) which is then picked up by the tuner. I've even noticed that my pedal tuner jumps around a lot more when I'm tuning my solid-body electric bass while someone else is playing something loud. The other instruments set up sympathetic vibrations on any unmuted strings, and maybe in the body itself, that get picked up by the magnetic pickups.

This effect has been used intentionally in the studio by some musicians who have put a microphone very near an acoustic guitar in a stand - it picks up interesting harmonics from the other instruments being played in the room. You can also witness it if you go in a guitar store that has hang tags interlaced in the strings of guitars. You can wail away on an electric and get all kinds of crazy noise coming off the cards in the strings of all those instruments hanging on the wall.

John

I've had mine for a month or so now and have used it in a noisy environment (tuning up with 80 other uke players playing Mele Kalikimaka). It is accurate - very accurate and extraneous noise has no effect. As far as I'm concerned it's only drawback, apart from price, it that tuning takes longer than with a conventional tuner.
It is larger than a digital tuner and will not fit in any of my cases but I don't see that as a major problem. Using it at Uke Club meetings is, perhaps, being a bit pedantic - if others are a few cents out it matters not that I am in tune to the order 1/10 of one cent! Is it worth the $70? - You betcha!

Tred

Note my OP edit. It does fit in my compact soprano case pocket, if folded just so. (you can turn the readout head sideways)
Interesting comment - I find it takes no longer to tune than w/other tuners.

Top Bottom