Hypothetical Question

mendel

Reaction score
Hypothetical Situation:

A person is interested in spending between $400 and $500 on their next Uke. This person prefers Concert size Ukes. It should look interesting as far as wood grain, and it should play like a dream. In your opinion, please advise on the following issues:

Wood Type:
Brand:
Exact Model:
Acoustic, or AE:

Notes on why you would choose this particular model and brand:

Thanks so much for any and all input. It is greatly appreciated, as I may be in the market at some point in the near future. Currently, I play an entry level Lanikai LU-21C. My biggest complaint is that the sound is very dead. Notes don't resonate. Also, I'm not sure if it is the Uke or my playing, but it has a weird whining noise and some chords, such as D and F sound almost the same even when fretted perfectly. I love the current Uke, but I feel like I may be out growing it.

My biggest complaint is that the sound is very dead. Notes don't resonate. Also, I'm not sure if it is the Uke or my playing, but it has a weird whining noise and some chords, such as D and F sound almost the same even when fretted perfectly. I love the current Uke, but I feel like I may be out growing it.

Hi mendel. Can't speak to the recommendation part because I'd recommend saving up a couple hundred $$$ more and getting a Kamaka concert, but that wasn't really what you were asking for was it? :)

What kind of strings are on your Lanikai? The reason I ask is that changing the strings can make a HUGE difference. A friend plays a Lanikai spruce-top concert and when she changed from stock strings to Aquilas, the difference was amazing. Like getting a whole new uke! So if you haven't tried that already, that's the first step I'd recommend.

Get a factory second koaloha concert...thats what I did and it was around 500

Are you wanting to go HawaAmerican or import? You have many options. As far as specific models? Your options are numerous. Are you wanting to get a case included in that price or seperately? Shipping?

You can get some nice ukes in your suggested range. Many people will recommend a mainland but i think you can get something better. Are you thinking koa, mahogany, spruce combo or something totally different likle mango or cherry?

I recommend Mele ukuleles first in your range for a new uke: http://www.meleukulele.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Koa+Ukuleles+(traditional+style)
If you go with a koa top and mahogany back and sides you can probably get a curly koa top.

Loprinzi ukuleles are in your price range as well and they are located outside of Tampa I believe, which means you could drive up and see their instruments before you get one.
This isn't Loprinzi's website but it is ukerepublics selection http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/loprini-model-a-cherry-concert

Another option is Keli'i which is a Hawaiian made ukulele http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/kelii-koa-tenor-gold-series this link is to a tenor but a concert would be a little less expensive.

Pono ukuleles are pretty nice as well as Big Island/Honu ukes.

Like I said your options are limitless almost. Would you like a handmade uke or something mass produced yet still nice?

The last option is what I really recommend is that you save up a little more and get a "K" brand uke or look for a used concert here on UU, on fleamarket music or even ebay.

Last edited:
I've been on eBay already. Honestly, I am afraid to buy online, except for MGM because of his reputation on this board. I've seen some Koaloha Ukes that are nice looking. Also, many Lankai Ukes.

I am not concerned about origins as much as I am interested in sound, then looks. I love the look of Mango. I lie Zebrawood, and even Bocote is beautiful. I am hesitant to buy though because I don't know how it sounds.

My Uke listening has been limited to the Ukes sold at the Sam Ash in my neck of the woods. They have Mango, and entry level Ukes like mine.

I would love "K" brand, but even though I can afford it now, I'd have to convince my wife... Not happening right now. If I am smart, I can get this next Uke, then eventually I may be able to get a Mo Bettah someday. I'd rather sacrifice now for the big payoff down the road.

Wood Type: Mahogany / Cedar / Mango
Brand: Mainland!
Exact Model: Concert Mahogany / Cedar / Mango
Acoustic, or AE: Your choice

Notes on why you would choose this particular model and brand: Everyone sez is good!

Wood Type: Koa
Brand : Keli'i
Exact Model : Keli'i Concert (http://cgi.ebay.com/CYBER-SALE-KELII-Solid-HAWAII-KOA-CONCERT-UKULELE-1-/330504708187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf39da05b#ht_1478wt_1139

Notes on why you would choose this particular model and brand : The owners of this brand rank Keli'i alongside with the more well known 'K' brands such as KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a..

That's as far as i can think at the moment, sorry :(

Wood Type: Koa soundboard, Rosewood fretboard, bubinga bridge with adjustable saddle, solid walnut neck
Brand: Fluke
Exact Model: Fluke Koa (FMM-F-108, apparently)
Acoustic, or AE: Acoustic. You could add a pickup which will adjust the price upwards. For example, with geared tuners and a passive pickup, you'd hit $520

Notes on why you would choose this particular model and brand:
Great reputation, shouldn't be discounted as an option, fits the requirements, decent step up from a Lanikai.

You could also get any Flea (with neck upgrade to concert) or Fluke (concert as standard) with some upgrades (at least the rosewood fretboard and geared tuners) and fall within budget. They have Mahogany and "natural" wood look options as well...

I recommend Mele ukuleles first in your range for a new uke: http://www.meleukulele.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Koa+Ukuleles+(traditional+style)
If you go with a koa top and mahogany back and sides you can probably get a curly koa top.

I agree with John on the Mele nice ukes. Stopped by the store a couple weeks ago and it was hard to leave without one of these great ukes.

Or you could call KoAloha and see if they have any seconds in your price range.

Aloha Mendel,
What I have learned throughout the years, is we are all searching for the all elusive perfect sounding ukulele....if you put asthetics aside, and focus on tone...
Everyone has their own preferences on what they like their ukulele to sound like..ie what sounds good to me may not for you or the other way around....
Buying brand names insures more consistancy however there are bad ones within the bunch at any level....every individual uke has it's own voice so to speak.
Because of there are so many variables in the building process, even the same ukulele from the same company, model, even same builder will sound different.
I'd select the brand first. Then your job is selecting a ukulele and to try out as many as you can of that model and pick the one that sounds the best side to side test....
Good Luck my friend!!! MM Stan...

Hi mendel, variations of this same question pop up from time to time, and as a builder of ukes, I always find myself cringing a little bit. You are the only one who can determine what you like. Spending a certain amount of money over what you currently have may help, but it is no guaranty. What others like is simply that. You need to see, hear and play as many different instruments as you can in order to form an opinion. If possible join a ukulele group, go to ukulele festivals and try and find some stores near you that stock the brands you are interested in. It is always best to buy an instrument in person. There are considerable variations in instruments from the same factory, not that some are necessarily better than others, they are just different, and one may sing to you much stronger than another. Just my thoughts.

Brad

MMStan and Brad-

Thanks for the honest and intelligent input. I guess I have to figure out where more Ukes are sold near me. I'll try them out until I find one I like. From what I've seen there is an Abu dance of Lanika models around here. I've never seen a K brand in a store and never heard one live. If I can't find anything local, I'll have to trust the judgment of more experienced members. I've gotten some really good pointers already. I guess all I can do is my absolute best. I'll have to hope for the same from the Uke-gods.

I am going to echo exactly what Brad has said...$$$ value is a real measurable thing, but tonal quality to an individual is a totally subjective thing. I am certainly happy with the Ukes I have, and most are Kala's. They did not cost a fortune, but I think they sound great (and they multiply rapidly). I am not sure if it is tone, size (my Kala's are big) or the fact that I am not scared to mess them up that make me play them more than my vintage Martin, but that is fact, I play them a lot more than the Martin.
That said- I am currently enamored of the sound made by these
Tall Grass Ukuleles and figure one will be on it's way Payday (do not tell my wife)
If you really read the post here, there seem to be a fair amount of duds even with K-Brands (and a few stories about set up that are nearly unforgivable)...you gotta play and listen, find the one (or ten) that talks to you, and then look at the price tag.

MMStan and Brad-

Thanks for the honest and intelligent input. I guess I have to figure out where more Ukes are sold near me. I'll try them out until I find one I like. From what I've seen there is an Abu dance of Lanika models around here. I've never seen a K brand in a store and never heard one live. If I can't find anything local, I'll have to trust the judgment of more experienced members. I've gotten some really good pointers already. I guess all I can do is my absolute best. I'll have to hope for the same from the Uke-gods.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. After living in Hawai'i for 5 years, I didn't pick the uke up until just before I left. I bought a cheap Oscar Schmidt OU-2. After 3 years of not trying to play b/c the uke sounded like a toy, I got the bug to buy a nice uke. I shopped and shopped. I knew of two uke companies at that time kamaka and mele. Both were out of my price range. I eventually bought a Mele concert on ebay b/c I had heard one before.

You are in the same shoes as most of us ukers on the mainland. We are limited to our selection. I am lucky that I live 14 miles from UkeRepublic so I get to try out many ukes but I am so loyal to KoAloha and Mele, I usually buy from them.

I understand the logic behind trying out an instrument before you buy it but that isn't always the case. You are limited, b/c you may not find a dealer that sells ko'olau or Kanile'a or mainland or Mele or any other uke.

Ultimately it'll come down to your decision to either buy something you can try out or go with reviews from people that may have never played anything other than what they own. Very rarely do I recommend something based on reputation alone. But that is all we have at times.

I'll second the Keli'i, an oft overlooked K brand. I'd have that one Michael has on auction if money was no object. Check out the YouTube videos for an idea of sound, and remember you are in some ways renting because you can always re-sell down the road.

Don't overlook Craigslist, I got a lovely white label Kamaka concert off there, advertised for $650, paid $500, (much less than a new one and better sound) and wouldn't voluntarily part with her! Every so often a KoAloha comes up; the day I got the Kamaka there were two KoAloha concerts listed in my area, I just decided to look at the Kamaka first, and she came home with me. Advantage is trying before you buy. However I've bought most of my ukes online and have only been disappointed in two out of like I think it's 17 now (lotsa vintage sopranos). And hoping the tenor I just got is as good as it's reputation.

One of the ukes I bought unheard or played was a custom recently made for me by Bradford, and it's a winner. You might want to talk with him about a custom. :cool:

I vote for the Kelii. If didnt have to worry about getting stung for customs duty when getting it delivered to the UK i probably would have bought one already.

Thanks Teek for the plug. Did I ever tell you that you have a serious case of UAS? 17, you think? Anyway not to bang my own drum, but it is my policy and that of every custom builder I know, that if the customer is not delighted with the instrument, they can return it for a full refund. I certainly do not want any unhappy customers, nor do any of the builders I know.

Brad

Hi Brad-

Although I am sure your ukes are out of reach for me at the moment, do you have a website where I can check out your work? I'd love to see what you do.

Mendel

Top Bottom