Kala All-Koa Soprano Uke w/Instruction Books

mav79

Reaction score
Save $50 on this Ukulele Package deal. A used (6 month old) Kala Koa (Hawaiian wood) Soprano Ukulele ($245, before taxes at Long and McQuade) as well as Hal Leonard's Ukulele Method Books 1 and 2 with CDs ($12.99 value each from Cosmo Music). A $300 value, for only $250, or best offer.

The Kala Ukulele was set up (action lowered, and neck straightened) by Long and McQuade's guitar tech. The stock (Aquila) strings were also replaced with D'Addario Soprano Ukulele Strings ("D" or "Canadian" Tuning - that is, ADF#B). The books were used lightly, while the CDs were never used.

All funds Canadian. American accepted at par ($1 CDN=$1 USD). Buyers in Toronto, Canada, preferred. Followed by the rest of Canada, then Eastern United States. But please feel free to bid anyway.

Toronto buyers can meet at a central location in Scarborough (like Scarborough Town Centre, Fairview Mall, etc) or, preferably, at the seller's work place at a church in Morningside and Sheppard, to avoid shipping charges. All other buyers must pay for shipping. Buyer can choose their own shipping method (UPS, FedEx, or Canada Post). Visit their website for a quote on prices. My City is Toronto, and Postal Code is M1B 2YZ.

UPDATE: Someone looking at it asked me for pictures, so I took some. In the process I noticed 2 minor dents. One at the front, about 5mm square. Barely noticeable especially in the pictures. The second is in the back, even less noticeable. But because of it I offered the guy one of 2 discounts - either my Intelli Chromatic Tuner (1 year old, formerly $30 value). Or $20 off the asking price.
web.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't ask for it. Long and McQuade does free set ups of all "high" end guitars they sell. I got that from the little report thing they give you to say what they did. Maybe they just gave a generic one of what they do to guitars.

I guess my surprise is around the fact that a NEW instrument with a crooked neck should have gone back to Kala. That's a defect. And I'm wondering what straightening techniques were used. It just sounds... odd... as part of a setup. Most setups I've heard of consist of things like adjusting the action, smoothing jagged fret ends, polishing the fretboard, things like that. Straightening a neck seems extreme.

I guess my surprise is around the fact that a NEW instrument with a crooked neck should have gone back to Kala. That's a defect. And I'm wondering what straightening techniques were used. It just sounds... odd... as part of a setup. Most setups I've heard of consist of things like adjusting the action, smoothing jagged fret ends, polishing the fretboard, things like that. Straightening a neck seems extreme.

You know how guitars have truss rods? I would imagine they adjust the truss rod on each guitar as they set it up so it's part of their setup/repair form. My guess is that the tech just checks all the boxes on the form they give to buyers of stringed instruments after it has been set it up, whether or not they have actually had to do each item.

Can't say for sure that this is what happened but high volume shops of all sorts do this kind of thing all the time. Like when I take my car to zippy's (made up name) oil change, they check everything off on the computer but in reality they "forgot" to check the tire pressure! I always recheck that myself since they don't always do it right.

Top Bottom