First Uke build - Attaching neck?

BaldEagle5556

Reaction score
I have started a uke build with a semi-serviced kit from rivrdrfter on ebay. The sides are bent and the spruce top and mahogany back are glued. The kit comes with all of the wood and binding. I need to provide the nut, saddle, tuners, fretwire etc.

I don't have any pics yet but some will come in the future. I have built a workboard, made a template and a form. I am just about to glue the end and neck block to the sides in the form I have built but I have a question. The plans I have are for a tenor uke and are patterned off an old Martin uke. In the plans, the uke neck is joined with a biscuit but I would like to do a bolt on neck. I want to drill the neck block for the bolt before I glue it but am not too sure where on the neck I drill. Can I get an opinion on this from some experienced builders please?

Tom

I drill the body hole after I put the top on. A good way to do this is drill a 1/4 inch hole strait down the neck. You really need to use a drill press for this or you could set up a hand drill to make a cheap and dirty boring machine. Then put a 1/4 inch center point (sometimes called a dowel center) in the neck hole you have just drilled. Place the body top down on a flat surface and place the neck fret board side down on the same surface. Line up the neck and push the center point into the body to mark. Then drill the body hole. I like to epoxy 1/4 inch threaded rod into the neck and finish the inside with a brass washer and brass acorn nut.

Hi Tom, I can only tell you how I do it. I assemble the body first, then drill the hole for the bolt through the sides and the headblock using a brad point drill bit. Then I reverse the bit and insert it back into the hole just drilled, so the brad point is facing out. Hold the neck against the body in its correct alignment, reach through the soundhole and push the drill bit against the back of the neck. The brad point will mark where the hole in the neck needs to be. Install any hardware in the neck and try bolting it in place to check the alignment. If you need to adjust anything, you can enlarge the hole in the body slightly in the direction you need to go. This works very well because you can carefully check the neck alignment before you glue it on.

Brad

He show's on another video how he lines up the neck. You drill a whole through you body first. Then place your neck in position and put a thin sharp tool through the hole you drill from inside the body and make a mark on the neck. Remove neck and drill the hole in it. As state above, the neck's verticle drill hole for the cross dowel bolt should be done on a press before you shape the neck so you get a truly vertical and smooth hole. Don't forget to take into account the final top thickness when lining up your neck.

Thanks a lot guys. Your responses are very helpful. ONWARDS & UPWARDS.

Tom

Top Bottom