Ah! Ruining my mojo

Dane

Reaction score
Don't you hate it when you get super into something, and you're just playing around and getting really really into it, and then someone comes along and asks you a question..... or asks you to play quieter. Then of course after that you can't remember what it was that you were doing cuz the groove is dead.

I hate it enough not to answer their question. Yeah when the creative juices are flowing, I hate to see them get turned off.

Just give them a reply with one of these...they'll get the idea.

AIRHORN10033125x200.jpg

EDIT: If you can catch them mid-sentence, you'll get the best effect.

Last edited:
I was traveling with a friend not long ago. While waiting to board the plane, I pulled out my uke and started strumming softly. He said "You are the most self-confident person I know. No way could I ever play in front of a bunch of people." I replied, "I'm not playing for them. I'm playing for you and me."

So it's all a matter of perspective.

I was traveling with a friend not long ago. While waiting to board the plane, I pulled out my uke and started strumming softly. He said "You are the most self-confident person I know. No way could I ever play in front of a bunch of people." I replied, "I'm not playing for them. I'm playing for you and me."

So it's all a matter of perspective.

Yes, but it's tough when someone comes and asks you a question right when you're jamming and being awesome. It especially sucks when you've been in a ukulele rut for a while, then all of a sudden it hits you, and you're playing like mad and loving every note that comes out of your instrument, and then "Hey I'm trying to read in the other room" or "what are you doing saturday" etc etc etc.

Often I will ignore them and hope that they will understand that I'm busy for the moment, but then they just stand there looking at you, or ask you again because they think you didn't hear them.

Maybe I just need make a hat "Don't disturb the ukulele"

Still awaiting mojo. Will report back upon arrival:)
DAP

Your family and friends know you and if they are interrupting your playing, it is because you sound bad and they are embarrassed or you are using the uke as an excuse to avoid your domestic responsibilities...take the time to become a better player...set up an agreed routine practice time that fits in with the other domestic activities...set out a working routine and workplace like any other job and learn how to play well enough so you can pay yourself to practice...

Wow! :wtf:

Last edited:
We'll be up on stage playing and folks will come up to talk right in the middle of a song. Sometimes it's hard enough to remember the chords, licks, words, rhythm, etc. without carrying on a conversation too. I have a friend that does that all the time. He has no idea how hard it is, I think we must make look playing real easy so I guess that's a good thing. He asked me for a pencil/pen while we were playing on stage last week.

"Mele Kalikimaka the pen's over there, right next to the beer on this fine cool winter day. I have a blue one that writes real good that I can give to you, from the land where the pens are made. There they know that pens must write clean and bright so your words can be read at day or night. Mele Kalikmaka is Hawaii's way to say get you pen and go away."

Actually I just smiled and kept playing.

Your family and friends know you and if they are interrupting your playing, it is because you sound bad and they are embarrassed or you are using the uke as an excuse to avoid your domestic responsibilities. If you want to avoid interruptions in your house, be inclusive and take the time to become a better player and share the ukulele fun with your family and friends. If they wont play along, help them feel like singing along without being self conscious, or help them learn another instrument. If time is the issue, set up an agreed routine practice time that fits in with the other domestic activities and include playing back tapes of yourself in the routine.
If you want to make money from your playing, don't take your work home, set out a working routine and workplace like any other job and learn how to play well enough so you can pay yourself to practice.
One of the great things about the recent ukulele movement is that it is inclusive and welcoming and generally has avoided the sometimes negative and obnoxious baggage that seems to accompany "serious" guitar playing and jamming. It would be good to keep it that way.
I try to stay as nice as possible during internet interactions to avoid conflict. But this really irritated me, so here is my best attempt.

I am not a bad player, I am not amazing, but I am not bad either. That insulted me.

Not everyone is musical, so not everyone understands that people don't like to be interrupted when playing music. I know this, this does not however stop me from making a fun thread to talk about something we all share...

I play in my free time, and I am always open to lend a hand, but most people can often wait 1 minute for you to finish playing before you go clean gutters or whatever it may be.

Take a look at my youtube, I don't exactly play play typical happy strummy singing songs, in fact, I don't really know any. I might know 2, if I thought hard about it. Also, many people around me are not musical, or do not play instruments. I would love to have someone to play with, but it is their choice to start up an instrument, and I will not impose music on anyone, I think that defeats the purpose.

I agree that the ukulele has a wonderful community and is open to all people, but I find here in fact that you contradict yourself and come off as quite the jerk. One of the things I like most about the ukulele is that it can be completely silly, completely serious, and all colors in between. You are degrading the image of the ukulele by treating it as just a toy and not respecting it as a versatile instrument.

We'll be up on stage playing and folks will come up to talk right in the middle of a song. Sometimes it's hard enough to remember the chords, licks, words, rhythm, etc. without carrying on a conversation too. I have a friend that does that all the time. He has no idea how hard it is, I think we must make look playing real easy so I guess that's a good thing. He asked me for a pencil/pen while we were playing on stage last week.

"Mele Kalikimaka the pen's over there, right next to the beer on this fine cool winter day. I have a blue one that writes real good that I can give to you, from the land where the pens are made. There they know that pens must write clean and bright so your words can be read at day or night. Mele Kalikmaka is Hawaii's way to say get you pen and go away."

Actually I just smiled and kept playing.

"Mele Kalikmaka is Hawaii's way to say get you pen and go away."

That would have been truly great though.

Yeah I often do the smile and the nod. Or shift my eyes between my instrument and them, hoping they will get the hint haha

Last edited:
Wow! :wtf:

Me too. Bill1 are you by any chance a psychiatrist? Because no offense but I felt what little tiny bits of mojo I have accumulated get sucked right through my monitor just reading all that, yo.

My observation is more that people who do that stuff are extremely self absorbed and have no clue as to polite, healthy and respectful boundaries regarding others.

Sometimes it's hard enough to remember the chords, licks, words, rhythm, etc. without carrying on a conversation too.
I hear ya! If I'm seriously practicing something, I'm reading the notes/tabs and concentrating and I can't carry on a conversation with someone at the same time.

I worked in offices most of my life, and it never ceased to amaze me how many people would come up to you, see you're on the phone, and start asking a question. My brain simply can't process two conversations at the same time.

I also happen to be a male without the ability to multi-task well in most situations, usually when it involves a verbal element.

For instance, when I'm in a group setting, there may be only one person talking to me, but I am actually listening to all of the conversations, and not knowing truly what any of them are about.

Your family and friends...

Holy carp! Okay, I'm new around here so I won't say what I really think...but...was that supposed to be a joke? Cause...dude...if it was it fell really, really flat on this here pair of ears!

:troll:

Can I get a hand from a couple of youz guyz and we'll go find Dane and peel him off the ceiling? :biglaugh:

John

Holy carp! Okay, I'm new around here so I won't say what I really think...but...was that supposed to be a joke? Cause...dude...if it was it fell really, really flat on this here pair of ears!

:troll:

Can I get a hand from a couple of youz guyz and we'll go find Dane and peel him off the ceiling? :biglaugh:

John

Thank you for your concern my friend, but I have my ukulele to keep me in a good state of mind =)

Also I've been around the interwebs long enough to know not to take anything too seriously.

One Sunday morning one of our church members, who is actually a really cool guy and well liked by all, including me, walked up to the front of the church about ten minutes into the worship service, stepped up on the platform, leaned across the (unused) grand piano and stage-whispered, "the bass is too loud."

Now, this was a real puzzle to me because I knew that the bass was not too loud, because we'd done sound checks and nothing had changed. The sound guy was happy with the mix. The worship leader was happy with the mix. And on top of all that, that particular song was a new one I didn't know well so I'd rolled my volume back to a whisper! All of that knowledge didn't, of course, prevent my mojo from draining away into the carpet where it apparently stayed for the remainder of the worship service.

(BTW, to top it all off I figured out later he was hearing the keyboard - the worship leader, knowing that I had rolled back on the bass, was picking up the bass on the keyboard and it was eq'd really poorly and all that bass going through our poor underpowered PA, instead of my big rig, was making some nasty distortion.)

Anyway, after the service I cornered the offending member and informed him politely that if he ever felt the need to comment in the middle of service again that he should be sure to come all the way around the piano instead of leaning across it. He looked at me with a puzzled expression and I continued, "because I am going to take the bass off and hand it to you and you can finish out the service." He hasn't been up to comment on the mix since...

John

Anyway, after the service I cornered the offending member and informed him politely that if he ever felt the need to comment in the middle of service again that he should be sure to come all the way around the piano instead of leaning across it. He looked at me with a puzzled expression and I continued, "because I am going to take the bass off and hand it to you and you can finish out the service." He hasn't been up to comment on the mix since...

John

Haha that is fantastic, I hope you are still on friendly terms though.

Top Bottom