PDA

View Full Version : Mahalo Soprano Les Paul ULP1/CS

pondweed
12-09-2010, 02:23 AM
How could one resist for 15?:drool: It look practically unused and its a lot lot better than the basic Mahalo I tried once. Action is even 'fine'. Its even equipped with 'Nubone Technology for Enhance Harmonic Sustain'...which appears to be some sort of variable saddle.
Not sure what it is stringed with. Do basic GHS look like Aquila?
I can also report that the 'luxury' vinyl gig bag has a particularly fetching velour interior.

update - nice quiet. its no way as good to play loud as a Dolphin; and the adjusters with their 'posh' wings are too near to the nut end.
ah well.

JamieFromOntario
12-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I've got the same uke.

It's the one I got to replace my initial junky $25 ukulele.
It's not a bad player. Not too loud. Frets aren't dressed very well. Action is nice and low.
I think the strings are aquilas.
This is the uke I throw in the backseat of my car, throw stuff on top of it and then leave to freeze (not on purpose, mind you. it just happens).

for a budget-ish uke (I paid $65 cdn - 15 is a deal), it's not bad...and I dig the 'Luxury' Vinyl Bag ;)

Hippie Dribble
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm a huge fan of these. I have one too and to my ears it's one of my sweetest sounding sopranos...yep, sounds as good as some ukes nearly 10 times the price to me. Go figure? Maybe I got lucky, but the intonation is perfect, the action low and so smooth to play. Not tuning problems at all. Highly recommended!!! I paid $70 for mine so your 15 pounds is money very well spent I reckon.

kissing
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
They're good. I had one (Les paul, electric), gave it away as a gift. Then I bought another one to replace it soon afterwards because I missed it too much.

Lol, as for the "nubone saddle" thing, that's just a fancy name for something ordinary lol.
It's a synthetic saddle, which most ukes out there have.

Action has always felt rather high for me on the models i've owned and the many ones I've tried in stores.
I've sanded the saddle on mine down quite a bit, but it's still a bit high. I dont want to go lower, because thees Mahalo pickups start getting balance issues on the piezo if you go too far (been there before).

As for being "quiet", give it new Aquila strings (Aquila Concert strings work well on it), and it will sound just as loud as the Dolphin.
They do come with white strings, which I suspected to be Aquilas. But I don't think they're genuine Aquila - it doesn't feel the same, and it sounds quite dull. If they are indeed Aquilas, maybe they're just old. I always change stock strings on new ukes anyway, the strings have often stretched too much from having been there for goodness how many years they sat on the shelf.
I like the sound better than the Dolphin. IMO, the Dolphin has too much mid-range. The Mahalo has a brighter, balanced sound to my ears.

Overall, it will always be a beater uke. But it's a very good beater uke :D

ps: Though Musicguymic occasionally has these Mahalos for sale with his setup. I wonder how good those ones are (He has a few up now actually).

pondweed
12-10-2010, 09:35 PM
found a few specs listing GHS stringing...
I wonder if I should put some friction tuners on to avoid banging the tuners constantly....

byjimini
12-23-2010, 08:29 AM
I've got one and keep it in the car should my "proper" uke get damaged or left behind - the problem with ukes is they're so damn light, I can never tell if the case is empty or full! :D