Tell me about Bruko

Futch

Reaction score
Hey there!

Ive been playing a cheap soprano, a Tanglewood (I belive it is exactly the same as the lanikai equivelent, made in the same place and simply badged differently) for a while now and am looking to get something a little nicer.

My current instrument is all laminate whoknowswhatwood, i would like to get something with at least a solid top.

Other Uk based members will be aware of the situation of Ukulele shops in the Uk, as in the distinct lack of. Those that do exist are rather too far away to visit really.

Ideally i would like a nice kiwaya, but having recently arranged a trip to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh i can't afford to splash out too much.

I recently discovered Bruko, i had no idea they existed before, despite tireless Uke research for the last few months.

Bruko seem almost too good to be true: made in Europe, Solid woods, great price. It makes me wonder, whats the catch?

Anyone own one or have experience with the brand?

Sorry for the awfully long post :$

Thanks for the response. Great videos, it was actually on youtube that i found out about Bruko.

I take it then that there is no "catch", and that bruko are simply a good product at a good price?

Luke

Do a search on youtube for Bruko or actually Brueko and you will find quite a few players. I am also amazed at the nice sound but more than that, the low price. Besides WS64's smooth playing, check out youtube user rawuke's arrangements as well. All Brueko ukes.

I had one for a couple of weeks and then sold it on eBay. Mine was a custom tenor: spruce top, rosewood back and sides. A really nice looking instrument. Also, beautifully made. So far, so good.

However, my only gripe is that the sound was a little thin. I describe it as brittle. having said that, it was well balanced and crystal clear. The sound I was looking for was the Hawaiian koa mellowness. I bought a Kanile'a.

I am now seriously considering getting another Bruko. I wish I hadn't sold it. Its not that the sound was less good than an Hawaiian uke, it is just different.

Have a listen to these two videos that I recorded on the Bruko. Please leave a comment.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nj5OUXHj4Q

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=542ZssEcFgA

Compare the sound with my other instruments. A koa tenor here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iAWborJY8

And a mahogany tenor here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YhF6j7UqRJo

Hope this helps

KEN

Thanks Ken

I have been a keen follower of your videos for a while, although i have only recently signed up for my own account (a little slow with these things!). It was you in fact who stoked my desire for a Kiwaya. Wish i could afford one right now, but having just graduated i simply can't. One day though...

Bruko seems a good 'stopgap', though i hesitate to use that word as Im sure they are fine instruments, but not the kiwaya i have my heart set upon if you know what i mean.

Hey ,

I recently acquired a second-hand soprano bruko, it has a very loud and melancholic tone which is perfect for strumming and having fun!

The ohana does surpass it for practising and finger picking with its fuller mellower tone. And there's a difference in build quality.

But if you're looking for a healthy energetic strummer the nr6 bruko is really nice:music:

Robert

Could you be more specific about the build quality and other aspects of these ukes, perhaps even in the review section of UU? The Bruekos are not very mainstream, but good stories roam the internets. Please share more of your impressions with the community.

Aren't Bruekos handmade? If yes, why are they so easy on the budget?

Aren't Bruekos handmade? If yes, why are they so easy on the budget?

This confuses me too! Hand made in europe yet cheaper than many factory Ukes from China..... How?

I still haven't managed to get my hand on a Brüko, even with as many people who have them here in the local uke network. Someone in the club called the Volkswagen of ukuleles. They're really great, solid, high quality, reliable, playable, uke that you can't go wrong with.

One day, I'm gonna get one, I just wish they made a slimline concert.

I have one and I don't particularly like it. It sounds clanky, thin, sorry I can't explain it properly, but not to my taste.

It is however the all maple one which after using mahogany could explain it.

I just wish they made a slimline concert.

They do. You just have to ask them.
This one here is a slim longneck soprano (concert neck on a flat soprano body).
buekoconcert2.jpg

I've seen a slim concert too on one of the last German meetings.
They build everything you want.

Ideally i would like a nice kiwaya, but having recently arranged a trip to see Tom Waits in Edinburgh i can't afford to splash out too much.

:eek: You're gonna see TOM?!? Damn I'm jealous. How about a review after the concert? Damn damn damn I'm jealous...

:eek: You're gonna see TOM?!? Damn I'm jealous. How about a review after the concert? Damn damn damn I'm jealous...

Yep, gonna see Tom alright. As soon as the tour was announced I knew i had to get to one of the shows. Edinburgh is a long way to go for a gig (I live in the south of England), but was the closest available.

As you have asked I will most certainly post a review afterwards. Im sooo excited!

Yep, gonna see Tom alright. As soon as the tour was announced I knew i had to get to one of the shows. Edinburgh is a long way to go for a gig (I live in the south of England), but was the closest available.

As you have asked I will most certainly post a review afterwards. Im sooo excited!

Awesome! You're gonna have a blast, so it's well worth the long trip.

I just read this "interview" with Tom (he's really interviewing himself) you might enjoy; it's vintage Waits: http://www.antilabelblog.com/?p=288

Greetings ws64, may I ask what that concert necked flat soprano bodied maple number set you back, beutiful grain on that one. thanks in advance
cheers fergs

I agree with what Ken M. wrote--Brukos are so unique in their sound. They are different. Not bad different, just different. Different is good. Take it from a guy with closet full of koa ukes.

I love my Bruko ukuleles. For the price they are better than anything I've seen out of China to date!

Hey there!

Ive been playing a cheap soprano, a Tanglewood (I belive it is exactly the same as the lanikai equivelent, made in the same place and simply badged differently) for a while now and am looking to get something a little nicer.

My current instrument is all laminate whoknowswhatwood, i would like to get something with at least a solid top.

Other Uk based members will be aware of the situation of Ukulele shops in the Uk, as in the distinct lack of. Those that do exist are rather too far away to visit really.

I recently discovered Bruko, i had no idea they existed before, despite tireless Uke research for the last few months.

Bruko seem almost too good to be true: made in Europe, Solid woods, great price. It makes me wonder, whats the catch?

Anyone own one or have experience with the brand?

Sorry for the awfully long post :$

The Bruko no6 I tried out didn't do it for me.

There are a some English luthiers making sopranos from UK grown woods at prices that might surprise you. They will be more expensive than the bruko for sure, but not enormously so and you'll be supporting UK talent and UK timber.

Have a look here: www.ukulian.com and here: http://www.stuartlongridge.co.uk/Welcome.html and if you like what you see then ask for a quote. I can vouch for Stuart's skills, I have one of his sopranos. I'm waiting on an instrument from Ian but have heard very good things.

Top Bottom