Acrylic Nails

Craig

Reaction score
So, I've lost one of my nails and am going back into the studio in about a week. I need to know your experiences, if you've had any, with these things. Do they take long to get used to?

Thanks! :)

I've not used acrylic nails and on threads on UU I have not read too many good comments. I have not over time been very impressed with finger picks, and have tried several as I just cannot keep my nails at any decent length. However, I just recently ran into a fingerpick that is absolutely outstanding. Fred Kelly Freedom picks come as close to your actual fingernail as I have seen or used. Whoever designed this pick actually studied the fingernail and replicated it unbelievably close to our actual nails. I have used mine for two weeks now, and I feel like I would be lost without them. They feel so naturally like my actual nail I can't tell much difference. They are arched and formed in the same way the nail is and they have a full first part of the finger that is fuller than most picks and fit so comfortably. They are a bit expensive at 5.00 bucks apiece, but I wouldn't be without them now. Take a look. http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PKFP.htm I would bet a lot you won't be disappointed with them. You should adapt to them in no time as they are so much like your nail. Good luck Lozark

I've not used acrylic nails and on threads on UU I have not read too many good comments. I have not over time been very impressed with finger picks, and have tried several as I just cannot keep my nails at any decent length. However, I just recently ran into a fingerpick that is absolutely outstanding. Fred Kelly Freedom picks come as close to your actual fingernail as I have seen or used. Whoever designed this pick actually studied the fingernail and replicated it unbelievably close to our actual nails. I have used mine for two weeks now, and I feel like I would be lost without them. They feel so naturally like my actual nail I can't tell much difference. They are arched and formed in the same way the nail is and they have a full first part of the finger that is fuller than most picks and fit so comfortably. They are a bit expensive at 5.00 bucks apiece, but I wouldn't be without them now. Take a look. http://elderly.com/accessories/items/PKFP.htm I would bet a lot you won't be disappointed with them. You should adapt to them in no time as they are so much like your nail. Good luck Lozark

I have used them for a few years with success, I still prefer to pick, but when I am playing a long time, I find the picks save my nail from a divot.
The Kelley's are much more comfortable to me than Alaska picks. The advantage of both is you can strum and/or pick.

I tried a fake set of nails once. Had them painted natural. Everything was going fine until I caught a frisbee on the end of my fingernail. The fake fingernail split and split the real nail under it. It really hurt and the split fake nail held the real nail open and hurting until I could soak off the fake nail with acetone, which was a long time.

I have used them for a few years with success, I still prefer to pick, but when I am playing a long time, I find the picks save my nail from a divot.
The Kelley's are much more comfortable to me than Alaska picks. The advantage of both is you can strum and/or pick

Yes I totally agree. I have used the Alaska pics also and the Kelleys are much much more comfortable and reliable for picking OR strumming. With The Alaska pics one has to grow the fingernail to a length to secure the pic, so might as well try to maintain a fingernail. Yes The Kelleys are very comfortable and secure and feel natural to the finger. Lozark

I have used fake acrylic nails before. They work fine but take a while to get used to before you really get into your stride with strumming and picking. I prefer my real nails, but they do make a OK replacement when you haven't got time to grow one!

How about this solution, Craig. Superglue a guitar pick to your existing fingernail stub!

Last edited:
I have had success with simply taping an acrylic nail (previously shaped to be like a normal nail) to your finger with Nexcare flexible clear tape (normally used for a bandage). I've had no reaction to this tape, unlike regular adhesive tape.

This is the same as Riconails, without the use of a double back tape between the acrylic and natural nail.

It works.

As I postedin a previous thread, Ive had a lot of problems with my Uke and banjolele eating my nails.I bought some plastic nails from the cosmetics counter in our local supermarket. Stuck a couple on yesterday and am very surprised how solid they feel despite the fact that they were very flexible in the box. They feel pretty much like my real ones. dont know how they will grow though but its better than wearing my fingers to the bone.

Top Bottom