8 stringers: how do you arrange your strings?

LimuHead

Reaction score
I was reading Vehement's thread on 6 string uke string arrangements and decided to start a new thread on 8 string ukes. Personally, I can't stand playing 6 string Lili'u style ukes because my uke playing focuses a lot on melody, and the melody gets buried when I try and play 6 stringers. (btw I also prefer low G). :D

My main performing uke is an 8 string Kamaka currently tuned gG CC ee aa. I have always loved the sound of the octave g strings on an 8 string, but never really cared for the octave c's (cC). I had planned to someday try using 2 matching C's on my uke, but never got ambitious enough to actually do anything about it.

The big change came when a friend was considering buying an 8 string uke while we were on shore in Lahaina. The one he ended up buying was tuned gG CC ee aa. After playing it I knew I'd never go back to octave c's. For me the unison C string notes flow much more beautifully with the sound of the e & a strings than octave c strings do.

So how do you arrange your strings on your 8 string?

I've been toying with the idea of using CC instead of Cc on my 8. My Lanikai is gG cC ee aa. I just bought a Kanile'a which is strung gg cC ee aa. I'm not particularly fond of the gg so I plan to change that eventually. I'm giving it time to grow on me before I start filing nuts. If I do end up going gG, I will go CC at that time.

I've been toying with the idea of using CC instead of Cc on my 8. My Lanikai is gG cC ee aa. I just bought a Kanile'a which is strung gg cC ee aa. I'm not particularly fond of the gg so I plan to change that eventually. I'm giving it time to grow on me before I start filing nuts. If I do end up going gG, I will go CC at that time.

Ok what are the big G and little g?

I strung my eight string with a low g and everything else normal. My 6 string I strung with a low G and a low A. I labsolutely loved that tuning. IT was very bassy:)

I strung my eight string with a low g and everything else normal. My 6 string I strung with a low G and a low A. I labsolutely loved that tuning. IT was very bassy:)

The lower-case letters represent a higher pitched string; the upper-case letters, a lower pitched string.

So do you double the low G string?

Aloha John,
I think it is an octave higer between the both....

Last edited:
I string as meant to be strung:
High G-LowG,High C-Low C,then apair of matching E
strings and a pair of matching A strings.I played a 12
string guitar for many years and this seems perfectly
natural to me.

I also have my Kamaka 8 stringer strung this way: High G-LowG,High C-Low C,then apair of matching E
strings and a pair of matching A strings. I have it presently strung with Koolau Gold strings and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

Key of D?

Well, I don't have an eight string - but I do have a 10 string! An old Bruno Tiple to be exact.

Of course it is a different animal - metal strings - but if you're not familiar with it, it has a 17" scale like a standard tenor, and pretty much the same body. The standard tuning for these things is key of D. To me, one step higher resonates very nicely on this size body.

Ever think of Aa Dd f#f# bb? With this set-up, you don't need wound strings.

Top Bottom