Why are there no ukulele players in Wyoming??

MGM

Reaction score
Just a funny observation. After selling ukuleles for many years now I have yet to sell one to the state of Wyoming. I have sold in every other state and all seven continents They are the only state never to buy a ukulele from me...any thoughts as to why? LOL

You've sold three to me, and even though I currently live in Colorado, I lived in Wyoming from '79 to '94. I didn't play uke back then, but I want that to still count! If no one else will, I will happily represent Wyoming!

Oh, one more thing... I have TAKEN ukes with me to Wyoming, and played them there!

WY would anyone even live in Wyoming, let alone play ukulele there?

WY would anyone even live in Wyoming, let alone play ukulele there?

Wyoming has a lot going for it, if you like living where there aren't many people. No State Income Tax, for one thing. Lots of outdoor activities, and most of the state has its own beauty, once you know what to look for. When I first moved there (at age 14) I thought it was a hellhole. After a couple of years, I came to realize that even the empty stretches were pretty. Windy, but pretty. Except the town we lived in right after my wife finished grad school.... That place WAS a hellhole. It was like living in a Stephen King story... it felt like everyone in town was in on some dark secret. If it was someday revealed that the entire population were devil-worshippers, or cannibals or vampires or something, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
But Casper and Laramie (where I went to High School and college, respectively) were both great places to live. Granted, they were a long way from bigger cities, but that fostered a kind of adventurous and independent spirit. To this day, I think nothing of hopping in the car and driving 6 or 7 hours to go do something fun. If I mention that I want to go to Denver for the weekend, my coworkers here act as if I am driving to the moon or exploring Antarctica. In Wyoming, I had friends who once drove 6 hours to Jackson to get pizza because they were tired of the places in Casper.

Oh, and btw Mike... I have a friend from High School who still lives in Casper, and the first time I ever saw the youtube video of the teeny little kid singing and playing the Jason Mraz song (I forget the name of it, sorry), it was on her Facebook page. Her daughter posted it, and is an accomplished guitarist, keyboardist and singer. So there is a POSSIBILITY that she already plays uke as well!

Wyoming has a lot going for it, if you like living where there aren't many people. No State Income Tax, for one thing. Lots of outdoor activities, and most of the state has its own beauty, once you know what to look for. When I first moved there (at age 14) I thought it was a hellhole. After a couple of years, I came to realize that even the empty stretches were pretty. Windy, but pretty. Except the town we lived in right after my wife finished grad school.... That place WAS a hellhole. It was like living in a Stephen King story... it felt like everyone in town was in on some dark secret. If it was someday revealed that the entire population were devil-worshippers, or cannibals or vampires or something, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
But Casper and Laramie (where I went to High School and college, respectively) were both great places to live. Granted, they were a long way from bigger cities, but that fostered a kind of adventurous and independent spirit. To this day, I think nothing of hopping in the car and driving 6 or 7 hours to go do something fun. If I mention that I want to go to Denver for the weekend, my coworkers here act as if I am driving to the moon or exploring Antarctica. In Wyoming, I had friends who once drove 6 hours to Jackson to get pizza because they were tired of the places in Casper.

Haha. I was just goofing around, Tarman. However, I must say that I appreciate your insight on these forums. And I'm a little jealous about your precision on a tiny ass soprano.

Haha. I was just goofing around, Tarman. However, I must say that I appreciate your insight on these forums. And I'm a little jealous about your precision on a tiny ass soprano.

Wow, thank you!
If you think I get sensitive about perceived Wyo-bashing, you should hear my wife! Her family moved to Laramie when she was 6 months old. Her dad was a poli-sci professor at UW for a long time. She has UW Alumni stickers on her car and various other objects.

Just for the record, I just played my uke in Casper and Cheyenne two weeks ago... but alas I live in Texas. I play a song on my uke as part of a class I teach as an icebreaker.

First of all: hardly nobody actually lives in Wyoming so if you sell one Uke there, you've covered about half the state.
Keep trying but don't get unrealistic in your expectations.
High Plains (COLO) Doug

First of all: hardly nobody actually lives in Wyoming so if you sell one Uke there, you've covered about half the state.
Keep trying but don't get unrealistic in your expectations.
High Plains (COLO) Doug

It's true. The whole state has about 450,000 people and is (roughly) the same size as Colorado. So if you figure the percentage of the general U.S. population who play uke, and extrapolate that to the population of Wyoming, that would make, oh...... about .0000475 uke players in Wyoming. Where in Colorado are you, Doug?

If I could make a living in Wyoming I'd be packing a truck right now! Of course, I grew up in rural Colorado and I've been to Wyoming a time or two. Actually, realistically it probably wouldn't be good for my health, anymore, to live at the altitudes of the best parts of Wyoming. Oh well.

Actually, come to think of it, I telecommute now anyway, I probably could move to Wyoming if I could pry my wife away from the grandkids... Or do they not have broadband internet there, yet? <GD&RLH>

John

Antartica yes. Actually it was a apo to a military research facility in antartica.

So what I am hearing is if I move our uke band to Wyoming when I retire we can be the #1 ukulele band in Wyoming? Hell MGM, I'd throw you some business!!

I went to Casper in February because one of my high school buddies was getting married (for the first time, at the age of 44!). I took two ukuleles with me. I am pretty sure that for three days, I had the largest uke collection and was the best player in the state. And that ain't sayin' much!

Top Bottom