My Wife wants her own Uke now!

Paul December

Reaction score
I've always wanted to play a musical instrument, but lacked the drive to follow-through (3 time guitar student failure as a kid :p ).
Somewhat ironically I married a Concert Pianist/Music Theory professor...
...knowing I would *never* be able to compete, I chose to pick-up the instrument furthest from hers: the Uke.
Two years of just learning song-after-song, I knew I couldn't avoid studying theory any longer and bought a couple books. My middle-aged brain was getting frustrated understanding things so I grudgingly asked my wife to clarify things for me, which she did.
Unfortunately in about an hour she also learned the entire neck of the uke, chord constructions, dismissed Tab as "silly" and is playing from sheet music. All she really now needs to do is work on technique (she also played violin in her youth so I'm sure it won't take long).
Don't you just hate it that some people's brains are better wired than others' ?! :mad:

Last edited:
Don't you just hate it that some people's brains are better wired than others' ?!
Yes, except when you're married to that brain, then its partly yours. :) Congratulations on finding the perfect playing partner.
DAP

Sounds to me like she is about to whoop your butt on the Uke, so you might as well just surrender, and take advantage to pick her brain. (not to be confused with picking the uke). lol

That's awesome.. Get her a good one! have fun playing together... In 20 yrs I still wont know the fretboard... some people are blessed that way.. Good for her!

Sounds to me like she is about to whoop your butt on the Uke, so you might as well just surrender, and take advantage to pick her brain. (not to be confused with picking the uke). lol

:confused: Hmmmm.... I wonder how difficult it is to learn the harmonica :D

Just learn how to play the nose harp. As a music professor, she will have no interests in it. You'll be on your own. lol..

A lot of the fun with ukes is in the buying process and being able to afford several, so don't let your wife miss out on this part of the fun just because she plays well already.
Another part of the fun of ukes is that you have serious fun, without getting too serious and this is like a holiday for professional musicians who need to spend their lives worrying about little details with their guitar or piano.

Very true. She's actually a bit burned-out with the piano right now. She recorded her final composition for her upcoming CD.
If anyone want to check out a few of her songs, here's a link:
IWO "Infinitive"
Once the CD is released we will be pitching it for film/tv. She has already licensed her song "To Create" to Dutch Radio Netherlands for a documentary.

I know it's childish, but uke was "my thing"

Nah, it's not childish. More like "world's colliding" on Seinfeld. Just human nature. But since I suggested the situation is a two edged sword after getting over your ambivalence you might gain a whole lot by learning what your wife is willing to teach. What other choice do you have ?

That's really cool! I wish my wife showed even an iota of interest in uke. She doesn't mind MY interest, though, so I guess that's something.
When I had been playing bass for about a year, I had a friend who decided he wanted to play too. His mother was a piano teacher, and he'd been playing piano since about the time he learned to walk. It took him about 10 minutes to learn the fingerboard, and then all he had to do was figure out how to work his fingers. In about 3 weeks he had blown past me like I was standing still. Jerk! He's not really a jerk, but still!

I know it's childish, but uke was "my thing"

I totally understand. Especially when the other person is so talented and sails by you. I would actually explain that - not that you don't want her to play and join you, but that you're feeling a little prickly because it was your thing and it would be nice if she was kind of sensitive to that...

You know.. I sort of understand that.. Especially if it is something that comes so naturally to her.. For me, everything I do I have to work really hard at, so I get it.. Either way, I hope that somehow you can find some peace in it together....

Aloha Paul,
It WAS your thing, now it's both of your thing...not sure which you like better, probally it could blossom out very nice for you.....if you can get it over you head....Happy Strummings and Happy Holidays....MM Stan...

Sounds to me Paul like you're a match made in heaven mate. Now you can really share your love of music together. May even bring you closer. I know that some of me and my wife's happiest times are when we play and sing together, and, you know what they say brus, "couples that play together stay together":love::love:. Just blown her away with the odd kazoo solo mate, she'll be in awe:bowdown:

I would love it. You have an expert to learn theory and once you know theory, it opens up a lot to understanding more.

I learned theory by myself. I have a stack of books about 3 feet tall which I used to "answer" questions. Its all there - hidden in one of 5 sentences in paragraphs that I had to find. You can just ask and you get your answer. Damned. I wish I had that.

Very true. She's actually a bit burned-out with the piano right now. She recorded her final composition for her upcoming CD.
If anyone want to check out a few of her songs, here's a link:
IWO "Infinitive"
Once the CD is released we will be pitching it for film/tv. She has already licensed her song "To Create" to Dutch Radio Netherlands for a documentary.
Aloha Paul,
Hey man you have maybe understated your wife's talent...I was truely blown away....I usually am not into classical Piano but her technique and style and soft and
smooth playing just wanted me to play along with the recording and find the notes on the fretboard....Man you are sooo lucky....have you tried to follow her with
your ukulele when she plays piano....we all dream to play with such talented people, and you my friend have that at home...Happy Hoildays!! MM Stan..

Top Bottom