PDA

View Full Version : Hey is the melbay ukulele starter pack any good ?

RugbyDemon
12-10-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=20367SET

Should i spend my money elsewhere ?

mm stan
12-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Aloha RugbyDemon,
Not famaliar with that starter pack, but if you continue you may want upgrade in a month or two.....check out Music guy Mike if you're serious and want to stick with it...My first uke when I started 3 1/2 years
ago was from Musician's Friend and is my daily player...it's a Rogue soprano...nice tone, good playability, and comfort...just some inconsistancy issues...$24.99...check it out.. Good Luck, Happy Strummings,
MM Stan...

molokinirum
12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Check out Musicguymic (MGM) He has many packages, sets up the uke all ready to go!

OldePhart
12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I'll jump on that bandwagon. For a beginner especially it's very important to have the uke (especially inexpensive ones) set up by somebody who knows what they're doing (like MGM). The uke will sound better and be easier to play and both of those are important especially for beginners. You want your ear to develop along with your motor skills and if you're using an instrument with very poor intonation your ear will not develop as well or as quickly.

The setup work MGM does for very nominal cost on inexpensive ukes and for free on mid-range ukes is well worth it - I have the tools and knowledge to do setups but it's a royal pain and if guys like MGM are willing to do it for almost nothing I'll let them! :)

John

itsme
12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Welcome to UU, RugbyDemon!

The perfect starter set for ukulele! Everything you need to play the uke is included: a high-quality wood ukulele, the Total Ukulele method book with CD, and a pick.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the uke included is most likely not very good and is poorly set up with crappy strings.

Secondly, all the instructional material you need can be found on the web for free. Thirdly, you don't need a pick and if you want one, they're dirt cheap anyway. So neither of those items really make the "starter pack" worthwhile.

I'd look elsewhere. You should be able to find a decent starter uke with a gig bag for that price. Some ukes come bundled with a gig bag and an electronic tuner. If not, do yourself a favor and buy one anyway because a tuner makes life so much easier. Most people seem to favor clip-ons. I have the Eno they sell in the UU store (http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/product/et-3000-clip-on-tuner) and it's a great little tuner.

LimuHead
12-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Excellent advice so far!

RugbyDemon
12-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Aloha RugbyDemon,
Not famaliar with that starter pack, but if you continue you may want upgrade in a month or two.....check out Music guy Mike if you're serious and want to stick with it...My first uke when I started 3 1/2 years
ago was from Musician's Friend and is my daily player...it's a Rogue soprano...nice tone, good playability, and comfort...just some inconsistancy issues...$24.99...check it out.. Good Luck, Happy Strummings,
MM Stan...

cletus
12-11-2010, 04:04 AM

Beware inconsistency issues, so try to play any uke before buying if you can.

I Ukulista
12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Mel Bay OK ish ....considerable ish. My advice.Learn from Aldrine and use this site.

Doug W
12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Redirect your money
This is NOT quality. I am a true "beginner" and the poor quality did more to discourage than incourage me to continue. I have since invested in a new uke and after seeing and hearing the two side by side, I regret my inital purchase of this toy. If your...a beginner, spend at LEAST $80 on your first uke and skip this set.

Here is an online review I found of the mentioned kit. I will refrain from reviewing the anonymous reviewer's spelling.

stevebucknor1
12-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Not familiar with that starter pack, but if you continue you may want upgrade in a month or two.....check out Music guy Mike if you're serious and want to stick with it...My first when I started 3 1/2 years. ago was from Musician's Friend and is my daily player...it's a Rogue soprano...nice tone, good playability, and comfort...just some inconsistancy issues...$24.99...check it out.. Good Luck, Happy Strumming.