Busking sorta

Ron

Reaction score
We play every Saturday morning at Deville cafe in Nelson. They provide a table, coffee and breakfast and we put the hat (actually, our miniature bass player, Scrap Packets) to collect coins from appreciative diners.

Attachments

• ukes deville 1.jpg
    ukes deville 1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 84
  • ukes deville 4.jpg
    ukes deville 4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ukes deville 3.jpg
    ukes deville 3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79
Awesome Ron. Looks like lots of fun. Love your shirts by the way...great pictures. What kind of music do you guys play?

We play every Saturday morning at Deville cafe in Nelson. They provide a table, coffee and breakfast and we put the hat (actually, our miniature bass player, Scrap Packets) to collect coins from appreciative diners.

Well, if you're ever playing in Masterton do me a favor and ring up Marty Dagg and tell him Duke says yo.

I'll try to answer all of above.
We DO get a few bills. In NZ dollars are a coin. We can make 20 bucks each an hour on a good day. Which isn't bad in our wee town. A lot less on a bad one but we view it as a sorta public rehaearsal - you can see our song book on the table and we'll often play songs we're working on. Yup a bit of applause - people like it. We get what little work we get from being there - we have our card on the table and the three weddings and two birthdays we've played recently all resulted from meeting people at the cafe.
What kind of music? I'd say the UoH are a country band, really. We play Hank Williams, Waylon, Willie Nelson, Gillian Welch, Ry Cooder, Kris Kristoffersen, Dylan, Old Crow medicine Show,Tom Waitts, Grateful Dead. A few completely obscure things like Drivin' 'n' Cryin' and Hunters and Collectors, Guy Clarke, Hayes Carll. We do a feew oldies in the vein of All of Me (we'd like to do more of those but aren't very familiar with the genre). We made a concious decision not to do the "covers of popular songs" thing so pop songs don't get much of a look in but Kinks, Beach Boys, Sam Cook, Dr Hook, and Springsteen and even The Temptations all make an appearance (and always end up sounding country by the time we finish with them). We're even working on a cover of Gin Wigmore's Oh My God at the moment.
Really we just sit around, plunking on ukes, drink whisky, remember songs we once loved or listen to old albums and then look 'em up on the interweb for the chords.

Marty Dagg? Absolutely!!

Last edited:
The Ukes of Hazard - love it and the shirts too. Sounds like you enjoy yourselves and found a way to get paid to practice. Good for you.

I'll try to answer all of above.
We DO get a few bills. In NZ dollars are a coin. We can make 20 bucks each an hour on a good day. Which isn't bad in our wee town. A lot less on a bad one but we view it as a sorta public rehaearsal - you can see our song book on the table and we'll often play songs we're working on. Yup a bit of applause - people like it. We get what little work we get from being there - we have our card on the table and the three weddings and two birthdays we've played recently all resulted from meeting people at the cafe.
What kind of music? I'd say the UoH are a country band, really. We play Hank Williams, Waylon, Willie Nelson, Gillian Welch, Ry Cooder, Kris Kristoffersen, Dylan, Old Crow medicine Show,Tom Waitts, Grateful Dead. A few completely obscure things like Drivin' 'n' Cryin' and Hunters and Collectors, Guy Clarke, Hayes Carll. We do a feew oldies in the vein of All of Me (we'd like to do more of those but aren't very familiar with the genre). We made a concious decision not to do the "covers of popular songs" thing so pop songs don't get much of a look in but Kinks, Beach Boys, Sam Cook, Dr Hook, and Springsteen and even The Temptations all make an appearance (and always end up sounding country by the time we finish with them). We're even working on a cover of Gin Wigmore's Oh My God at the moment.
Really we just sit around, plunking on ukes, drink whisky, remember songs we once loved or listen to old albums and then look 'em up on the interweb for the chords.

Marty Dagg? Absolutely!!

Love your music Ron. You're playing stuff that I love, especially Gillian Welch, Guy Clark, Dylan, Tom Waits, Ry Cooder, Grateful Dead and Old Crow Medicine Show. Hunters and Collectors were an awesome Aussie band too and saw them play live heaps. Sounds like you guys have a ball. Cheers mate!

CAN ANYONE HEAR YOU GUYS OVER THEM SHIRTS..... Great choice of music though.

Looks like a natural ball. Cheers!

I went to NZ earlier this year to see my brother who was unfortunately dying. Thought it was a great place full of nutters......... and those green bay mussels:drool:

I went to NZ earlier this year to see my brother who was unfortunately dying. Thought it was a great place full of nutters......... and those green bay mussels:drool:

Green lip mussels. Yum.
as my quote in my signature - we live in paradise, really. I am glad to hear someone say that it's full of nutters. Sometimes I think it's full of narrow, xenophobic conservatives. Good to get an outside opinion ;-)

Sounds like the place to be if you can still be yourself amidst a few too many N, X Cs.

N X Cs? I don't know what that means. We have our fair share of narrow minds and limited outlooks.

Narrow, Xenophobic Conservatives - I was just being lazy and didn't type the words. Probably would have confused me too. Sorry about that.

Looks like you guys have a good time doing this. Free breakfast, coffee, you get to have fun playing, collect a little coin, maybe get a future paying gig from it. All good. :)

Plus, you obviously don't have to get dressed up. :p

Looks like you guys have a good time doing this. Free breakfast, coffee, you get to have fun playing, collect a little coin, maybe get a future paying gig from it. All good. :)

Plus, you obviously don't have to get dressed up. :p

Whaddya mean!? Those are my best Jandals.

Top Bottom