Ukulele Giveaways in Thailand

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
1) This is my wife's father. He has lived next door to a man who has played guitar and keyboard for decades. I did NOT want to give my new Mainland Mango Concert away. I like it too much; but, for several reasons, it was the right thing to do. The main reason was to give the father in law something of value that hopefully can provide him some fun in the village.

DSC05269.jpg

2) This second picture is my wife giving away a Mahalo to a wonderful little girl stuck in poverty. She is related to my wife's family. This little girl would not smile. I tried everything including playing songs on my ukulele but she was always staring miles ahead. I promised to return (with another pink uke all made for a little girl) and to give her instruction books for later on. Everybody deserves a chance for the Mahalo spirit.

DSC05254.jpg

Aloha Frank,
Thanks for sharing your personal pictures of life in thailand...Your kindness and generosity to your in laws with the gift of music is real nice to see...WOW..Take Care!! and Happy Holidays...MM Stan..

Wow, I'm sure that Mainland will be loved a LOT! You have a very generous heart.

I gave my uke (Mahalo Les Paul acoustic electric) when I went to Cambodia this Jan to a guitar player :)
Their instruments are not great, so I figured they needed it more than me.

I'll be going on a Thailand mission trip next Feb, and I'll probably be taking a baritone uke to give away at the end.

How is it in Thailand as far as ukes go? I heard the other day that Thailand has uke fever. Are there much ukes there?

ps: here's a video about the trip i'll be going to
http://www.youtube.com/kissing88#p/u/4/8uB0cu5J3_I

Last edited:
I'm proud to "virtually" know you Frank.

Thanks Stan, Kissing, and Beergeek.

Thailand has uke fever and its a good thing. THere's not much to choose from as far as stores go but they are trying hard to keep stocked.

My wife and I rescued an old Honda motorcycle today. Pics to come in an upcoming post. I did play uke and got lots of questions about the Fluke I was playing. A russian in particular wanted to know about the uke.

I do give my uke to try and let people play it and try it out. Sometimes people think I'm giving away my ukes to them and we have to explain it is to try it out and I want it back. haha. But honestly, if I could afford to carry spares and give them out, I would. I was planning to paint those Mahalos but carried some upcountry to see if there was interest. I do confess to trying to create interest, hitting loud power chords - rock and roll just to get people's attention.

I also confess to using uke giveaways to try and further our cause in finding small motorcycles to buy. I gave 2 away to amphur officials with the promise to come back and "fix them" for them (restring, tighten the friction tuners, and provide learning books written in thai).

A picture of what a bike "looks like" that we rescued today (bought and secured ownership). Mine is like the color of army green. I got papers on it but the paper VIN doesn't seem to match the style I see based on this picture. Its fun to see some of these old bikes available out here.

I had this crazy idea. You know wine conniousseurs have persons who specialize in picking the right wine for meals and occasions (A Savai.... whatever they are called). I was thinking it might be fun to have specific ukes be chosen for occasions and ... ok.. maybe I had driven too many miles; but, I was thinking a sweet but aged 1964 tiki Kamaka would go nicely with this bike. Maybe end the ride with a robust sparklling concert Mele Pineapple .

honda_1959_ca95_benly_150cc.jpg

Last edited:
Two ukes I've made for 2 kids I've seen growing up before my eyes. when they get delivered, I hope to capture it; but, I want the kids to believe the ukes came from their father so that is how I want to capture it and seal that memory for them. Christmas ukes.

DSC05311.jpg

Life isn't all poverty in Thailand. My wife and I found this hidden restaurant south of Pattaya. Its on the beach and serves delicious seafood and seafood soups. We've been to rickety restaurants over the water; but, this restaurant was all ours as was the view and the beach and the swimming pool ambience..... until the busload of Chinese arrived and we understood how they made their money and why it was a top shelf restaurant.

DSC05301.jpg

Me practicing my minor pentatonic scales with I, IV V7 progressions and ii V7 I turnarounds. Its hard work. Some people have problems with E and Bb chords. Not me.!!

DSC05290.jpg

A picture of what a bike "looks like" that we rescued today (bought and secured ownership). Mine is like the color of army green. I got papers on it but the paper VIN doesn't seem to match the style I see based on this picture. Its fun to see some of these old bikes available out here.

I had this crazy idea. You know wine conniousseurs have persons who specialize in picking the right wine for meals and occasions (A Savai.... whatever they are called). I was thinking it might be fun to have specific ukes be chosen for occasions and ... ok.. maybe I had driven too many miles; but, I was thinking a sweet but aged 1964 tiki Kamaka would go nicely with this bike. Maybe end the ride with a robust sparklling concert Mele Pineapple .

honda_1959_ca95_benly_150cc.jpg

Aloha Frank,
Just to let you know, Kamaka didn't make them Tiki ukes until 1969-til 1974....and I hope your motorcycle isn't stolen or
false paperwork......no matter how nice if the paperwork doesn't match up with the model...Id pass...Maybe you found
out too late man...How's the laws in that in thailand???would registering be a huge problem??? Anyways have Fun man
And a Happy Holidays to you and your wife....Take Care!!!!

stolen bikes is an issue, no doubt. The whole thing is to try and get it registered. I think we have enough paperwork to get it registered. The license plate matches the paperwork. I just have to find the VIN on the bike. I didn't know where to look before but now I know.

The japanese companies were always changing designs and leaving legacy VIN descriptors particulary on midyear and early models of the changes. How to disposition if the bike is stolen. There must be a process. I'm hoping it much like "the lost and found" scenario whereby somebody has to claim it or else the item can be registered properly. Its something I plan to look into. The other question is: registering is only for riding? Can the bike be shown but not ridden?

One guy wants to buy it for parts. A local man wanted to purchase it as well. THese options are still available.

Thanks for the info on the Tikis.

Nice job on the gift! Can't think of a better present! you gave them something they definitely wouldn't get for themselves.

Cool pics of you and your wife with the fluke! Now, I want to see a pic of you 2 with the Sceptre ;)

We just showered for bed. So I will ask the pic wait until we are dressed properly.

Aloha SuzukHammer,
You're so kind.

Aloha kissing,
I'm from Thailand. Here, we have a group that crazy about uke. Now, we have a problem with stock of seller. His stock is empty and we have to wait for shipment that might coming around this end of month.

1) This is my wife's father. He has lived next door to a man who has played guitar and keyboard for decades. I did NOT want to give my new Mainland Mango Concert away. I like it too much; but, for several reasons, it was the right thing to do. The main reason was to give the father in law something of value that hopefully can provide him some fun in the village.

DSC05269.jpg

2) This second picture is my wife giving away a Mahalo to a wonderful little girl stuck in poverty. She is related to my wife's family. This little girl would not smile. I tried everything including playing songs on my ukulele but she was always staring miles ahead. I promised to return (with another pink uke all made for a little girl) and to give her instruction books for later on. Everybody deserves a chance for the Mahalo spirit.

DSC05254.jpg

Love this thread.. Awesome the gift of giving.. Love the makala ukes.. Too cute! I am sure they will be much loved!

Just an update.

We went shopping for house items. While looking at product, I scoped out a damaged toy uke. THe store owner said her son and daughter used it. I asked if they liked ukuleles and found out the lady spoke little english; so ,my wife did the interpretation. I scanned the store and saw a bunch of colored plastic toys suggesting a 2 or 3 year old lived there so off I went to fetch some Mahalos.

The daughter showed up. She was about 10 years old and carrying a Yamaha electric guitar. Black, not a scratch on it. So I decided to ditch the Mahalos and went to get my practice uke and my yellow dolphin Makala and a Thai songbook for ukulele (and a couple of tuners).

She saw the tuner and I showed her how to use it. She wanted it badly. She begged her mom to buy the tuner off me. clipon tuners have not made it out to the sticks. The mom asked how much and embarrassingly said she could not afford it. The child knows what this tuner means. I know what the tuners give me and that is time and good tonal quality which makes it hard to put the uke down.

(more to follow). I must use the men's room <back>

I think the girl wanted me to teach her guitar; so, while she was still tuning that thing, I started noodling my uke. Effortlessly. Soon, the sound of music distracted her from the guitar. I think she realized. The uke is not a toy and everything she wanted from that guitar was in my tiny uke. So she put the guitar down and I showed her easy chords 1, IV, V7 progressions, a Circle of 5ths progressions (face lit up), scales and improving in scales. Each time I showed her, I gave her the uke to try it.

She was very clever. It didn't take her long for her to put her fingers right and strum a chord. The lights were popping all in her head. I could see it. She was shocked - how easy it was to get a musical toned sound from this little Makala (and my Fluke).

As mom could not afford the uke or the tuner, I volunteered to "loan" the uke. Why loan and not giveaway? Well, I think when I give some items away, the items sit and are not played. I told the mom and daughter, I'd loan it to see if there was interest (the uke, the tuner, the instruction book). If there is no interest, I want to give it to a person who will use it. giveaways to family is one thing. Giving to strangers has cost and some risk. If the girl wants and plays, then I will teach her how to change strings and give her more time. If it takes hold, I'll give it.

Pictures hopefully by this week.

Last edited:
FYI,

People come to Thailand for the beaches.

I found it is so much better in the area my wife grew up in. While I have time, I plan to ride motorcycles (scooters) in this beautiful area.

I have not seen much of culture at the beaches. I found it in the rural areas I've visited.

And ukulele fits in nicely out here. I've actually thought of putting together some songs out here and videotaping the songs and scenery.

Thailand ukes

The Thais are the friendliest people on earth. I've visited the country twice since my best friend from university lives there. His wedding was an ALL day affair from 4 am to midnight.

I am in love with that country. Everyone was so helpful, even complete strangers when we had to take a detour and got stuck in sand. It seemed like the whole village came out to help and one of them ran and got a tractor to pull us out. They then refused payment for their help.

I'm glad that you're able brings smiles to the land of smiles.

Top Bottom