Mi-Si Rocks!

lambchop

Reaction score
To make a long story short, Mi-Si customer service rocks! I needed to get something replaced for a show I have tomorrow night (12-11-10) and Mikhail at Mi-Si overnighted it to me without question - saved the day and my show, because now I can use my favorite uke. It sounds beautiful, too, I just love it. If you ever wondered whether or not to spring for the Mi-Si, go for it, just go for it. And the customer support is so there it is like having a friend on your side. I am just so thrilled when people are so nice, love the great product they make, and back it up so well - I just had to share the news of how confident you can be in their products. Mike

To make a long story short, Mi-Si customer service rocks! I needed to get something replaced for a show I have tomorrow night (12-11-10) and Mikhail at Mi-Si overnighted it to me without question - saved the day and my show, because now I can use my favorite uke. It sounds beautiful, too, I just love it. If you ever wondered whether or not to spring for the Mi-Si, go for it, just go for it. And the customer support is so there it is like having a friend on your side. I am just so thrilled when people are so nice, love the great product they make, and back it up so well - I just had to share the news of how confident you can be in their products. Mike

I personally don't care much for how much my misi picks up fingersounds. I have to mask it with reverb or more complex playing. If I played with the flesh of my fingers it would be even worse.

When I installed a MiSi on my Moore Bettah I wanted a gold end pin button to match the gold Grover tuners on the slotted headstock. But I couldn't find anyone that sold a MiSi with the gold button. So I bought a MiSi from MGM with the gun metal endpin and Mikhail sent me a gold one to replace it. He was wonderful to deal with and shipped it to me ASAP for a grand total of 2 bucks.

I have MiSi's on two of my ukes and love them. I am a customer for life.

It's always nice to hear about great customer service.
The practice seems to be fading away...

After several years, I'm still loving my hubby-installed Mi-Si. It's wonderful to hear that in addition to a great product, they have great customer service.

Aloha Mike,
Thanks for passing the great customer service MiSi provides.....Thanks for Sharing!! Happy strummings and Happy Holidays to you and your family!! MM Stan

I personally don't care much for how much my misi picks up fingersounds. I have to mask it with reverb or more complex playing. If I played with the flesh of my fingers it would be even worse.

Have you played with other amplification systems and pick-ups?

Finger noise is very common for players who don't have much experience playing live through a pick-up. Especially with long nails. I know when I first started playing live that I had to pretty drastically alter my playing style to get the cleanest sound I could.

I have a MiSi with LR Baggs in my Mya-Moe and a MiSi with Fishman in my Moore Bettah. I think they are pretty decent amplification systems with a sweet, easy to use preamp.

Have you played with other amplification systems and pick-ups?

Finger noise is very common for players who don't have much experience playing live through a pick-up. Especially with long nails. I know when I first started playing live that I had to pretty drastically alter my playing style to get the cleanest sound I could.

I have a MiSi with LR Baggs in my Mya-Moe and a MiSi with Fishman in my Moore Bettah. I think they are pretty decent amplification systems with a sweet, easy to use preamp.

Sadly I haven't had the chance to play around with many other amplification systems. But if I could find a different, or a combination of parts that would reduce the effect I would be happy.

No doubt that they are convienent. And you can't really hear the fingersounds unless you know they are there. I have adjusted my right hand angle quite a bit to try to reduce it as much as possible, but it still gets to me sometimes. You use the misi endpin pre-amp with different pickup cables?

The finger sounds can be a problem with any pickup and especially on small bodied instruments like ukes and mandolins - the MiSi does seem a little more susceptible to it at least on a uke and I think that's because it is a very simple preamp without much built-in equalization. I.e. some of the uke-specific preamps include some eq to filter the low end where most of the "bumping" finger sounds are at. The "Simple Jack" preamp with the MiSi trio can't do that because the same preamp is used for so many different types of instruments.

That said, it's pretty simple to apply the EQ outboard. Also, I've found that for some reason amps with smaller (10" or even 8" speakers) seem to just sound better with UST pickups on ukes and mandolins - I think the speakers just don't produce the "thunks" as well as larger, more efficient, speakers.

So, if you're really annoyed at the sounds the key is to use either an EQ pedal or an amp or mixing board with fairly versatile EQ to cut down that bottom end. Interestingly, the "thunk" sound is not an artifact of the pickup - if you listen closely at the sound hole you will hear that exact same sound acoustically. It's just that it is very faint and doesn't have much sustain but it gets accentuated by the pickup.

John

The finger sounds can be a problem with any pickup and especially on small bodied instruments like ukes and mandolins - the MiSi does seem a little more susceptible to it at least on a uke and I think that's because it is a very simple preamp without much built-in equalization. I.e. some of the uke-specific preamps include some eq to filter the low end where most of the "bumping" finger sounds are at. The "Simple Jack" preamp with the MiSi trio can't do that because the same preamp is used for so many different types of instruments.

That said, it's pretty simple to apply the EQ outboard. Also, I've found that for some reason amps with smaller (10" or even 8" speakers) seem to just sound better with UST pickups on ukes and mandolins - I think the speakers just don't produce the "thunks" as well as larger, more efficient, speakers.

So, if you're really annoyed at the sounds the key is to use either an EQ pedal or an amp or mixing board with fairly versatile EQ to cut down that bottom end. Interestingly, the "thunk" sound is not an artifact of the pickup - if you listen closely at the sound hole you will hear that exact same sound acoustically. It's just that it is very faint and doesn't have much sustain but it gets accentuated by the pickup.

John

Ah cool, thank you very much for the info. I'm quite new to the acoustics with electronics area.

Top Bottom