Bb Chord..

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I remember when I first started, the Bb chord used to give me so much trouble..

But now I realized my voice sounds good in the F key which includes the Bb chord..1,4,5
Now I enjoy the souund of it too..What is your favorite chord or key??? and why????:):)

That one used to give me a mess too. I had to modify it to get my fingers to play it because of artritis. But, I can play it now, and sometimes depending on what I chord I am coming off of to it, it might give me some issues, but I manage.

I like F too...same key as Bob Wills :) Looks I better go practice that darn B-flat some more

If I'm in F, I hardly ever play a plain Bb. I go with a Bb(add2): 3213 Much easier, IMHO.

If you play the F as as 2013 then you can play F, Bb(add2), and C without ever moving your pinkie off the 3rd fret of the first string.

JJ

Last edited:
If I'm in F, I hardly ever play a plain Bb. I go with a Bb(add2): 3213 Much easier, IMHO.

If you play the F as as 2103 then you can play F, Bb(add2), and C without ever moving your pinkie off the 3rd fret of the first string

JJ

Do you mean 2013?

I find that I experiment with 5 chords (2 note chords) because it just sounds more unique than normal chords.

arpegiated chords. I can't get enough of strumming then arpegiating. Most people call that fingerpicking; but I'll pick any chord progression and just run through the strum/arpegiating sequences. Its just sounds so good and fun and so many ways to do them.

The DGA chord progressions seem to be strongest on my play list

Bb was a stickler for me too. It still is tricky for me to play, but is becoming easier the more I play it. The transition to and from F seems pretty natural. You know what they say. Practice, practice, practice....

Hi Stan, my favourite key is "F" too...George Formby used it a lot in his music...love bringing in the ol' minor chords in in the F progressions; Dm and Am, the F7 and Bb diminished and minors. It's a great key

Also love the key of "Eb" and of course the good ol' "C"

I also find that the house key and car key come in handy sometimes...:eek:

The first chord I always strum when I pick up a uke is a G. There's just something about it that makes me feel good. That said, I prefer to play most tunes in either G or C.

I remember when I first started, the Bb chord used to give me so much trouble..

But now I realized my voice sounds good in the F key which includes the Bb chord..1,4,5
Now I enjoy the souund of it too..What is your favorite chord or key??? and why????:):)

Well Stan, you know all too well about my love/hate relationship with Bb... Then you challenge me to learn Molokai Slide (which I love because my daughter comes running after she hears the first few strums, to sing) I have no idea how to even know what key to sing in, truthfully my singing just sounds bad! I will just have to keep on going...

Ah - good to know I'm not alone in my difficulty playing Bb. I'm not really knowledgeable about keys yet but I've been playing Uncle Rod's Boot Camp pages since I started and F is one of my favorites. Except Bb. Oh and Abdim (1010). Actually any of the four-finger chords like Cdim and Abdim are still tough for me to do with any speed. Still, I can tell that I'm better than I was at them 6 weeks ago so hopefully in another year I'll be able to do them more readily.

I find that I experiment with 5 chords (2 note chords) because it just sounds more unique than normal chords.

arpegiated chords. I can't get enough of strumming then arpegiating. Most people call that fingerpicking; but I'll pick any chord progression and just run through the strum/arpegiating sequences. Its just sounds so good and fun and so many ways to do them.

The DGA chord progressions seem to be strongest on my play list

Have you ever done any tutorials. Do you have video of this technique? Thanks.

I find myself leaning towards the D key, and the chords are easy enough, so yeah! Of course, there's C, but that sounds a little empty to me sometimes.

That's funny - when I play the D key it somehow feels unfinished. Doesn't feel like it resolves as well as the other keys when I come around (ie D Bm E7 A7 F#7 Bm E7 A7 D). Somehow the D at the end sounds like it's still waiting for something...

I remember learning the guitar forty eight years
ago,and the hardest chord was the F.Curiously
enough,that's the same fingering as the Bb on
a ukulele! I hated it,tried to learn songs without
using it...but in the end,you have to learn it,and
the Bb on ukulele is an essential chord,as has
been mentioned already!

F is the best key. Any body who thinks that there exists a key better than F is simply wrong. haha jk. But really, I love playing in F. Not necessarily the key of F, but that major shape (1st inversion) as the root chord of the key you're playing in. I love working with chord shapes in that key.

Matter of fact, rarely play an Fmajor chord. I usually play an F9 (0010) because it's really easy and I think it sounds a little bit more full. My song "As the Days get Longer" is entirely based on the F9 chord.

Two things that are probably key (no pun intended) to being comfortable playing Bb on a uke. First, make sure the uke is set up. If the nut is high you have two problems, it's hard to finger a barre across the first fret (more on this in a second) and it probably won't sound right to your ear even when you do (because some of the notes are being pulled sharp by the high nut).

Okay, assuming our uke is set up properly, why barre at the first fret when we're fingering the third and fourth strings farther up the neck anyway? Let's say we're playing in the key of F, where your primary chords are going to be F, Bb, and C. If you finger the open F chord with your index and second finger and then try to pull your index finger back (or tuck it down) to cover the first two strings at the first fret, it changes the angle of your hand and throws your second and third fingers out of position. Sure, you can do it that way, but your whole hand is changing angle with respect to the fretboard. If, instead, you simply lay your index finger down flat across all four strings at the first fret, the angle of your hand and wrist doesn't change, you move your second finger over one string and plop the finger down on the third fret, fourth string. Reverse the process to go Bb to F. It's a very natural transition after you do it a few times and you'll notice that your hand doesn't change position at all. It stays pretty much perpendicular to the strings, arched about the same amount, etc.

You can throw in the C from either of the above chords by simply raising all fingers except the third or the pinky, either of which you drop down on the first string, third fret, again, without changing position of the hand and wrist very much. (Similar story for the C7, just curl the index back to put the tip on the first string.)

On any stringed instrument, the less that you have to change the position, shape, or angle of your hand and wrist, the faster you will be able to play with less fatigue. (Actually, I suppose that's probably true of any instrument, not just stringed instruments.)

So, if you're having trouble with the Bb / Bb7 (B, B7, etc) and you are trying to fret just the first two strings with the tip of your index finger - give the barre a try. It may feel wierd at first if you've been doing it the other way for a long time but it will probably become your favorite Bb fingering pretty quickly. Or not...I forgot to wear my fortune-teller's cap today. :)

HTH,
John

Any time you can make a transition by moving only fingers

Top Bottom