Can anyone tell me about this old uke?

Koa Soprano

Reaction score
This is my Mother's soprano uke from when she took ukulele in elementary school in the 60's. I have it right now as I am copying it for a build.

It's in rough shape, missing all the hardware but I recall using it briefly when I took ukulele in elementary school.

I doubt it's anything special but does anyone have any info? It's laminated, originally had a wooden saddle and nut and friction pegs.

Attachments

• IMG_6355.jpg
    IMG_6355.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 37
Aloha Koa Soprano
It's in pretty rough shape, don't know what it is...Love the binding but missing a section at the bottom...I'd say it
may not be that bad, with the binding....maybe a good project for you....get some tuners and string um up!! and
see how it sounds....if it has a decent sound, maybe some body work (binding too)and finish.....after all it's a
family heirloom that can be passed on to the future generation you brought back to life...Good Luck!! Happy Holidays!! MM Stan

Last edited:
Are you SURE it's made from laminated wood? The inside of the back (seen through the soundhole) looks like rosewood, and laminate ukes don't usually have "proper" binding - they are often just painted to look as though they have binding. It is difficult to tell from photos, of course. From 3,000 miles away, the front looks as though it could be spruce.

Even if it IS a "mere" laminated uke, its family connection makes it special, and it would be worth fettling it, and giving it a new lease of life.

John Colter.

Top Bottom