Humidity concerns!

If they are Hawaiian they should love it. If it's too humid for the uke they may sound a little off IIRC?

I had one old dry uke that I humidified gradually over time, when I upped it a little more (old Hawaiian koa) the bridge let go, but the luthier said no, it was just "poorly made", but I said well yeah it's an old Kamaka, they didn't make them like old Martins were made, they were tourist trade and casual, but the sound is great. I did remind him it's really humid in HI and the ukes that come from there where they are happy, and then spend 30-80 years drying out here do tend to shrink, crack and separate. My poor little uke is a beauty for being 70-80 years old, I wouldn't look that good if I survive that long. We humans kind of do that too say in Arizona working in the weather for 50-60 years with no sunscreen, lol!

Please... what is M.U.D. and what is IIRC?
Thank you.
Roxhum

Please... what is M.U.D. and what is IIRC?

M.U.D. == "Multi Utility Desiccant" dehumidifier so says Bing

IIRC == If I Read Correctly

Mahalo!

I have a humidifier inside my case, and it still says the level is ~25%

I have a humidifier inside my case, and it still says the level is ~25%

You may need to moisten the humidifier more often. Also, the hydrometers built into some cases are pretty cheap and not extremely accurate, though I think if mine was reading that low I'd be concerned enough to get a good digital hyrdometer, if it's a good uke.

John

hmmmm, I think you should be fine, I just drove from New Jersey to Virginia (6 hours) this afternoon with my ukulele in the back seat and it was pouring rain and foggy all the way back (and also I didn't realized until I got home that the back window on the left was almost half way rolled down; I wondered why my back windows were completely fogged up and I couldn't see out the back of my car!)

But yeah I took out my uke and played it as soon as I got home, sounds fine.

In the best case over humidification will just knock out tuning

In the worst case - severe over humidification can swell the body wood (particularly on solid ukes) and loosen things like bridges and frets

In the best case over humidification will just knock out tuning

In the worst case - severe over humidification can swell the body wood (particularly on solid ukes) and loosen things like bridges and frets

What he said.. ;)

Top Bottom