Mainland Concert Low G

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I have a Mainland Cedar Concert and would like to try strings with a low G. Never tried it before. What strings should I try? What are the pros and cons of a wound low g string and would it work well on a concert size uke. Thanks

The deciding factor for putting low G on my Ko'olau concert was the big increase in music, especially the "Learn To" type books that comes with the six new notes available with low G. Many of the tutorials are written for low G, and this is really true about books or courses for picking, rather than strumming. I have Aquilas on now, but have also been happy with Ko'olau strings.

I had Worth Clears on my Mainland Mango concert and it sounded sooo sweet. My nephew (the happy owner of that uke now) really likes the Worths too.

Other great low-G sets:
Fremont Blackline
Orcas
Southcoast Linear non-wound

Last edited:
I have a Mainland tenor with the Aquilas low G. I am not too crazy about the wound string as it has a guitar type twang that sounds out of character with the other strings. I am in the market for a non-wound low-G string and will probably go with the Worth Browns. I was hoping to buy them from MGM but unfortunately I do not see them listed at his website nor do I get any responses from my emails.

- Jack

Top Bottom