Aquila C string keeps going out of tune

byjimini

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this problem? My C string seems to react to different temperatures whilst the other 3 strings stay in tune. I travelled down to Rochdale yesterday (from North Yorkshire - 2 hours ride) with my Mainland uke to play the BareArts centre, to find that the C string had dropped half a step, yet the G, E and A strings were exactly as they were when I left?!

I'd expect them all to change, not just the same one all the time.

Same here. Except mine goes sharp while sitting in the case!!! I tune it down when I start playing but after a couple of minutes playing, I have to tune it back up again. Weird huh?

Same here. Except mine goes sharp while sitting in the case!!! I tune it down when I start playing but after a couple of minutes playing, I have to tune it back up again. Weird huh?

Are you seeing it go sharp by a tuner or by ear? I thought the same thing with one of my ukes... It turned out that my other strings were going flat anf the one string was staying put lol

I can also be the tuner moving if you have a friction tuner. But I have also notied the C reacts more to temp chages which is opposite from what I would expect. I would think the thinner ones would expand and contract more.

I have had similar probs with a couple of my ukes, especially with "nylon" type strings. Does not seem to happen when they are strung with fluorocarbon strings. I tune the ukes, play them, set them down for a while and then re-play them. Some, if not all the stings have gone sharp!!! Cant seem to figure it out. Have talked to some folks in the know and they cant seem to give me an explanation on why this happens?? Like I said it seems to be more of a problem using nylon type strings. I even took my uke to Kamaka and they could not figure what problem might be. They changed the strings, no difference. Said that if problem persisted they might consider new tuning pegs. I'm not gonna worry about it, as this seems to be a common problem here.

Aquila Nylguts are really sensitive to temperature changes. I find that my C strings go out of tune the most too. When the temperature goes up, the string goes flat, when it cools off, the string goes sharp. This happens much more with soprano strings than concert strings, in my experience.

I haven't personally had the same issue with fluorocarbons, but I was playing outside on a cool day when it was about to rain not long ago, and the Worth Clears on my fellow uke player's Koaloha would not stay in tune for more than a few minutes.

Aloha Byjimini,
It could be because the aquila set of strings use different compounds between the strings...or you have a bad string....I think it just might be the first one suggested..Good Luck!!
Be patient and let it break in...or consistancy issues, but I don't think so...Like Janeray said I see them go up an octave when it's chilly and back to normal when it warms up again..
not only Aquila's are temperture sensitive...I ve noticed....

Last edited:
It's been on since May, Stan, but it only started playing up about 2 months ago. Before then it had been busking in seaside towns and playing in cold halls with no problems - straight out of the case and away we went! But just recently it requires tuning before playing.

Think I'll get next Sunday's gig out of the way first then re-string it.

Aloha Byjimini,
I've noticed some strings never change and always react to temperture change...You just gotta retune then and when it warm up down tune them an octave...no big thing if you got a dig chro clip on tuner..Stan..

Are you seeing it go sharp by a tuner or by ear? I thought the same thing with one of my ukes... It turned out that my other strings were going flat anf the one string was staying put lol
Both, it is going sharp.

Aquila Nylguts are really sensitive to temperature changes. I find that my C strings go out of tune the most too. When the temperature goes up, the string goes flat, when it cools off, the string goes sharp. This happens much more with soprano strings than concert strings, in my experience....
Yes that's what's happening to me. Just a minor inconveniece IMO

Top Bottom