New Uke Day! ... Fred Shields

70sSanO

Reaction score
My wife and I went down to San Diego to celebrate our birthdays, both less than week apart. We usually wander around hit different shops, do some shopping; something for both of us.

There is a guitar store in La Mesa, in the village, called Moze Guitars. I've ben stopping in at Moze for a lot of years, they used to be in a real hole in the wall store by the college.

So I see this fluke shaped concert ukulele that is advertised as a solid wood custom and it is made by Fred Shields. I picked it up and it plays really nice and sounds suprisingly good.

I talked to the store and found out that Fred Shields is local builder, a tile setter by trade, that makes ukuleles in his spare time. They thought Fred said the wood was poplar or alder. It has a rosewood fretboard, maple neck, ebony(?) bridge, and the wormanship is very good. Nicely finished fret ends, side markers, the back is a heel cap for the neck, a side port, all in a nice satin finish.

Also, Fred cannot be making any money on these because the store was selling this one for $179.00. Where can you find a handcrafted American made ukulele for under $200? It is really nice to be able to find little gems like these tucked away here and there.

Fred also makes taditional shaped concert and tenor ukuleles out of mahogany, for a little more, as well as a pineapple, and a side port camp uke. Moze also had a pretty cool thin body electric that Fred had made.

As for this ukulele, since I couldn't put it down, I had no choice but to buy it.

Here is a pic...

IMG_3372.JPG

More pics... http://imageevent.com/70ssano/fredshieldsukulele

Enjoy!

John

Last edited:
Aloha John,
Contrats looks Sweet, would mind giving it a try myself... it screams to be played....all kind of goodies ...side port, different shape, unusal position tuner pegs. definetly worth a try...Thanks for sharing...
Happy Strumming and Happy Holidays to you and your family!!! MM Stan..

I really like the tuner arrangement as well, I've always wondered why you don't see more with straight-lines to the tuners.

That is really cool looking! I really like the tuner arrangement also. How does it sound?

I'll have to get with my kids and put together a sound clip. They have Acoustica Mixcraft on a PC and a cheap mic that seems to work pretty good.

The ukulele doesn't have a pickup... yet.

John

I really like the tuner arrangement as well, I've always wondered why you don't see more with straight-lines to the tuners.

Yeah, that seems like a good idea...though...I wonder if there is room for my fat fingers to turn that E-string tuning knob without bumping the others...

John

I have no problems with the C and E tuners. Because the G tuner is set up to turn the same direction as the others it is a little closer to the A tuner than if it were set with the turning in the opposite direction. No real problems, but it would be nice to a have a bit more room. On the plus side, having the same tuning direction for all tuners is nice.

...all his ukuleles have this in line tuning setup... pretty cool.

John

Top Bottom