Banjo uke strings?

ukebeatsguitar

Reaction score
I got a new set of back up strings for my tenor today, and they were Aquilas. I was looking at the back of the package when I noticed they had a set of banjo ukulele strings.

So, I was wondering, what's the difference between normal uke strings and banjo uke strings. Has anyone had experience with these?

I have them on my Anuenue...as far as I can tell, the difference is a wound C string...they're might be other differences, but I can't pick them out.

Pretty sure it is just the wound C- makes it thinner (so it fits on that tiny fretboard) I have Aqulias for every size laying around, including the banjo uke, and the only ones I see a difference in are the ones for my Baritone C tuning

Just to confuse matters - I have Aquila banjo strings on my Ozark banjolele - there is no wound string! As far as I can tell they are just Tenor strings, but suppose may have slight differing gauge.

In my mind, they cost the same as other Aquilas, so I bought em - they work

Thanks guys! I'm on about the 3rd or 4th month of waiting for the banjo uke from the luthiers. It sounds to me as if he really doesn't want to do it, or he has bigger projects. I don't want him to rush, because I want him to do a good job, and not just finish it to get it out of the door.

I used Aquila Banjo strings and the wound C, quickly unraveled and switched to an unwound C.
I use plain soprano strings on the banjo and I like the sound and life of the string.
I have also found that nylon strings are not nearly as loud and to my ears sound better.
Most folks are not happy with GHS nylons on a uke, but on a banjo uke I find them a good choice.

I have also be sent a set of banjo uke strings when I ordered tenor uke ones.

Looking here one difference is tenor uke strings are 76cms long, banjo uke ones are 85cms. The ones I got were 42U all nylgut GCEA ones.

If I just cut an extra 9cms off, will they be as good as tenor ones?

If so, considering the cost is the same for soprano, concert, tenor and banjo uke strings, and that all my ukes use all nylgut high g strings, when it comes to keeping a spare set should we just get the size for our largest uke rather than keep a spare set for each uke type we have?

Top Bottom